The Student Room Group

GCSE OCR 21st Century Triple Science (CBP1-7) Thread

Scroll to see replies

Lol I remember how the C4,5,6 paper sparked a great debate about the last question with the tests :wink:
That was a nightmare aha :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1761
Original post by DDan123
Lol I remember how the C4,5,6 paper sparked a great debate about the last question with the tests :wink:
That was a nightmare aha :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was rubbish to put 6 marks into that.
Reply 1762
Has anyone done the c7 past paper. If so, how did you do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1763
Past B7 Six Markers:

Tissue Fluid, Closed Loop Systems, Genetic Modification (twice!), Joints and Eutrophication.

Possible Six Markers This Year:

Describe what the blood is made up of and explain what would happen if there were too little of this. (E.g - lower white blood cell count = prone to infection).
Describe the journey blood has through the heart and lungs.
Describe and explain how chemicals are exchanged between cells and capillaries. (tissue fluid question).
Describe how a joint works and explain how the different parts of a joint are good at their job. (Ligaments -> high tensile stength but slightly elastic -> stabilise joints + allow movement).
Describe different injuries caused by excessive exercise and how to treat 1 of them. (Talk about sprains and RICE!)
Describe a physiotherapists job and describe how they would treat a damaged knee.
Describe and explain how body temperature is kept constant, in great detail.
Pretend you are a fitness trainer. Describe and explain what information you need to develop the right exercise regime, what measurements you will take from your client (heart rate + blood preasure during exercise + BMI). Explain how you will make the data accurate and repeatable.
Describe and explain the differences between type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes and how they are caused and treated.
Describe how microorganisms are used for industrial use, give examples and explain them.
Describe how genetic modification works using microorganisms, in great detail. Explain why this is more sustainable than using animals. (This question will probably be given with a context).
Describe how genetic testing can help identify genetic disorders and the process that is done.
Describe and explain new technologies and how they are used. (Nanotech, stem cell and biomedical engineering are the best to learn).
Describe and explain what a closed loop system is - explain why a human system isn't closed loop.
Describe and explain a stable ecosystem. In your answer explain why vegetation is beneficial to keeping an ecosystem stable.
Describe and explain examples of how human activities can damage ecosystems. (Desertification, bioaccumulation, etc).
Describe what bioaccumulation is and why it is harmful.
Describe eutrophication and why it is harmful.
Explain why we should manage ecosystems, how they can be managed and why conserving natural ecosystems may confict with community needs.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1765
Original post by Fyt
Has anyone done the c7 past paper. If so, how did you do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup - so difficult but I managed to blag it and I got 40 I think.
Original post by Sulfur

Have you read through c7 already :eek: I'm STILL struggling with ecosystems-it may be the most boring topic I've had to learn for gcse; it makes p5 look fun :frown: :frown:
You feeling confident for the B7?
Reply 1767
Original post by HappyHylian
Past B7 Six Markers:

Tissue Fluid, Closed Loop Systems, Genetic Modification (twice!), Joints and Eutrophication.

Possible Six Markers This Year:

Describe what the blood is made up of and explain what would happen if there were too little of this. (E.g - lower white blood cell count = prone to infection).
Describe the journey blood has through the heart and lungs.
Describe and explain how chemicals are exchanged between cells and capillaries. (tissue fluid question).
Describe how a joint works and explain how the different parts of a joint are good at their job. (Ligaments -> high tensile stength but slightly elastic -> stabilise joints + allow movement).
Describe different injuries caused by excessive exercise and how to treat 1 of them. (Talk about sprains and RICE!)
Describe a physiotherapists job and describe how they would treat a damaged knee.
Describe and explain how body temperature is kept constant, in great detail.
Pretend you are a fitness trainer. Describe and explain what information you need to develop the right exercise regime, what measurements you will take from your client (heart rate + blood preasure during exercise + BMI). Explain how you will make the data accurate and repeatable.
Describe and explain the differences between type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes and how they are caused and treated.
Describe how microorganisms are used for industrial use, give examples and explain them.
Describe how genetic modification works using microorganisms, in great detail. Explain why this is more sustainable than using animals. (This question will probably be given with a context).
Describe how genetic testing can help identify genetic disorders and the process that is done.
Describe and explain new technologies and how they are used. (Nanotech, stem cell and biomedical engineering are the best to learn).
Describe and explain what a closed loop system is - explain why a human system isn't closed loop.
Describe and explain a stable ecosystem. In your answer explain why vegetation is beneficial to keeping an ecosystem stable.
Describe and explain examples of how human activities can damage ecosystems. (Desertification, bioaccumulation, etc).
Describe what bioaccumulation is and why it is harmful.
Describe eutrophication and why it is harmful.
Explain why we should manage ecosystems, how they can be managed and why conserving natural ecosystems may confict with community needs.

In respect to the ecosystem section of B7, I think that bioaccumulation and eutrophication would be lovely six mark questions. For the physiotherapist question, I don't know what you'd say except:

Physiotherapists treat skeletal-muscular injuries (such as the knee)
They can help to gradually build up the strength of the muscle and joint
They can advise what treatments to give and give them therapy to speed up the healing
They can advise on the best exercises to rehabilitate the after an injury
Reply 1768
Original post by lyricalvibe
Have you read through c7 already :eek: I'm STILL struggling with ecosystems-it may be the most boring topic I've had to learn for gcse; it makes p5 look fun :frown: :frown:
You feeling confident for the B7?

No I haven't! :tongue: I blagged the exam from what I remembered in lessons. They have about 11 marks worth on energy needed to break bonds, that's what saved me! :smile:

I'm feeling a bit better for B7 after writing up my notes today, but overall I'm not confident yet and I doubt that I will be! I completely agree - I'd rather revise P5 than rubbish ecosystem crap. How about you, for B7?
Original post by Krollo
I'd agree. C123 may be slightly higher. P123 could be a little lower. Otherwise my predictions are the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The, I don't really remember the c7 so I thought it must have been average difficulty but totally agree with p7, IMO the boundary could be as low as 30 hut that would be ridiculous looking and ocr would look stupid :/

Original post by emilyromanoff
yeah because some of the questions are very common sense/logic based and agreed I hope P7 is quite low that stuff is so hard

:yep: I haven't looked into p7 too much but at least we have time for it,3/4 days! :biggrin:
Original post by Sulfur
No I haven't! :tongue: I blagged the exam from what I remembered in lessons. They have about 11 marks worth on energy needed to break bonds, that's what saved me! :smile:

I'm feeling a bit better for B7 after writing up my notes today, but overall I'm not confident yet and I doubt that I will be! I completely agree - I'd rather revise P5 than rubbish ecosystem crap. How about you, for B7?

Hah, that's still good though :smile:

:yep: at least p5 felt like good solid science, ecosystems feels like geography :frown:

That's a good position to be in :smile: I still have 4 pages to go,2 on ecosystems and 2 on bio tech, which i want finished by tonight and then tomorrow will be past paper, workbooks and 6 marker practice :smile:

You taking science at a level?which?
Reply 1771
Hah, that's still good though :smile:

:yep: at least p5 felt like good solid science, ecosystems feels like geography :frown:

That's a good position to be in :smile: I still have 4 pages to go,2 on ecosystems and 2 on bio tech, which i want finished by tonight and then tomorrow will be past paper, workbooks and 6 marker practice :smile:

You taking science at a level?which?

You're not in a bad position yourself! All sciences :smile: A level actually looks interesting too. What about you?
Original post by Sulfur
In respect to the ecosystem section of B7, I think that bioaccumulation and eutrophication would be lovely six mark questions. For the physiotherapist question, I don't know what you'd say except:

Physiotherapists treat skeletal-muscular injuries (such as the knee)
They can help to gradually build up the strength of the muscle and joint
They can advise what treatments to give and give them therapy to speed up the healing
They can advise on the best exercises to rehabilitate the after an injury

I just realised it might be asked with something else. Like, "Sarah is a physiotherapist, one of her clients has a damaged knee. The knee is sprained and has a torn tendon. Explain how the sprain was caused and how it can be treated, then explain what Sarah's job is and how she can treat the damaged knee".
Original post by Sulfur
You're not in a bad position yourself! All sciences :smile: A level actually looks interesting too. What about you?

Hah, thanks :smile: same! Biology is sounding bad for me -_- but chemistry and physics I'm kinda excited for! What else you taking?
I just realised it might be asked with something else. Like, "Sarah is a physiotherapist, one of her clients has a damaged knee. The knee is sprained and has a torn tendon. Explain how the sprain was caused and how it can be treated, then explain what Sarah's job is and how she can treat the damaged knee".

My biology teacher gave us a 6 marker example almost exactly that..even down to the name.. :tongue:
Original post by olmyster911
My biology teacher gave us a 6 marker example almost exactly that..even down to the name.. :tongue:

Wow seriously? I always use "Sarah" when I give examples. XD
Reply 1776
Hah, thanks :smile: same! Biology is sounding bad for me -_- but chemistry and physics I'm kinda excited for! What else you taking?

I love C7 but I haven't even started it yet. P7 is interesting but... difficult. Sciences and maths :smile: You?

That'd be alright I think!
I just hate physics :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wow seriously? I always use "Sarah" when I give examples. XD

Great biologists think alike :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1779
Original post by Sulfur

I got around 46-48 depending on how someone would mark my six markers but the question where it asked you to work out the mass of magnesium hydroxide in the tablet, how did you that one. I did a very long winded method which gave me the correct answer but I don't understand why the calculation in the mark scheme is used. If anyone has any idea please can you explain it to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending