The Student Room Group

Undecided on whether to go to uni.

I'm not sure if this is the right section to post it, but I really need help. I want to go to uni to further my education. I'm interested in doing Animal behaviour at Wolverhampton uni but i'm unsure on the job prospects. However I realllly want to be a hairdresser. (Quite a drastic difference, I know) so I was going to just get an apprenticeship in it and work my way up. However I live with my nan, and she said all she wants out of me in her life is for me to graduate university with a degree. I'm so stuck! I want to do animal behaviour but what kind of jobs are there for that? Shall I just go to university and get a degree? Will the degree alone make me more employable? Shall I take a gap year? I'm so lost and any advice gives off my parents or friends just confuse me even more!
Reply 1
Go to the zoo if you want to learn about Animals??? I'm sure there's a guide person who will describe every specie for you. Seriously animal behaviour?, you might aswell train a lion.
Education really helps, no matter what the degree - lots of transferable skills. You can always do hairdressing on the side or afterwards. :smile: have a gap year if you feel you don't know what to do just yet.
Do you want to go to uni or do you want to be a hairdresser? Don't go to uni because your family want you to. However, you should be aware that hairdressers don't normally earn a lot of money - if you're OK with this, then I'd say go for hairdressing.
I got my hair cut at a Vidal Sassoon salon and the stylist who cut my hair said she had a science degree, I think something like Biology or Biochemistry. She's also an amazing hairdresser! You don't need a degree but it could give you more job opportunities, or just generally be a nice thing to do, for the experience and to learn about something you're interested in. But don't just go because your nan wants you to, it's your life. If in doubt, take a gap year and think about it. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Flobie
I got my hair cut at a Vidal Sassoon salon and the stylist who cut my hair said she had a science degree, I think something like Biology or Biochemistry. She's also an amazing hairdresser! You don't need a degree but it could give you more job opportunities, or just generally be a nice thing to do, for the experience and to learn about something you're interested in. But don't just go because your nan wants you to, it's your life. If in doubt, take a gap year and think about it. :smile:

I had a gap year after school. I don't want to waste another year "trying" I feel if I don't go to uni and let my nan see me graduate, it will be on my mind all my life that I didn't do the one thing she wants me to. She had 2 sons previous to me so she's not bothered about seeing me married/with kids as i'm the outcome of that. She just wants to see me with a degree. :/
Reply 6
Original post by Okeyiaj
Go to the zoo if you want to learn about Animals??? I'm sure there's a guide person who will describe every specie for you. Seriously animal behaviour?, you might aswell train a lion.

Why mock something i'm interested in doing?...
Original post by Cayl1365
I'm not sure if this is the right section to post it, but I really need help. I want to go to uni to further my education. I'm interested in doing Animal behaviour at Wolverhampton uni but i'm unsure on the job prospects. However I realllly want to be a hairdresser. (Quite a drastic difference, I know) so I was going to just get an apprenticeship in it and work my way up. However I live with my nan, and she said all she wants out of me in her life is for me to graduate university with a degree. I'm so stuck! I want to do animal behaviour but what kind of jobs are there for that? Shall I just go to university and get a degree? Will the degree alone make me more employable? Shall I take a gap year? I'm so lost and any advice gives off my parents or friends just confuse me even more!

No, you need work experience as well.

No, you need work experience as well.
Reply 9
Why mock something i'm interested in doing?...

As they apparently have no knowledge of the subject. Animal behaviour is a science degree based on mostly companion animals and you only can go into training if you do that separately or as a joint degree. Careers include conservation, animal welfare roles, research, zoos, ecology and more.No the degree alone will not make you employable and you will need to do as much work experience as possible in as many different areas of animal management.

Hope this helped
Reply 10
Original post by Okeyiaj

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't having a trained lion generally be a good thing?
Reply 11
Original post by M1011
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't having a trained lion generally be a good thing?

You can train anything even a genetically engineered ant?
Reply 12
Original post by Okeyiaj
You can train anything even a genetically engineered ant?

In what way is this relevant? Are you simple minded?
This is obviously something you will have to ultimately decide for yourself, however based on what you've put so far I'd say it already kind of sounds as if you've decided on what YOU want to do. Even though university allows you to develop multiple skills as well as knowledge and enhances employability in that prospect, it costs a LOT of money and if you want to graduate with a good grade (i.e 2:1 or above) you have to dedicate an immense amount of time towards work, revision, extra reading etc. A lot of people misjudge the amount of effort that go into a degree and nearly half of my class (I'm doing Zoo Biology) dropped out before the first year was even over. In my opinion, you have to be committed and WANT to go to university for yourself, otherwise the experience, level of workload and commitment is far too overwhelming.

However, aside from this you can do foundation degrees and part time degrees which may allow for you to juggle both (if that appeals to you, although I can imagine being incredibly difficult) or you could find a degree related to hairdressing in some manner - i.e. salon management. This way you wouldn't necessarily have to pick between them, but could find a way for them to complement eachother.

I hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending