The Student Room Group

Is biology fake?

Scroll to see replies

Yeah it's so fake, if you look on the back, it says made in China
Reply 21
Is it fake, no definitely not.
Is it just an incorrect theory... Possibly. Science is created on hypothesis that are proved or disproved, and the results acted on. Biology is just the study of living things, we look at how different parts of the body act make notes on it and then try and come up with a theory that makes sense from what has been observed. You're right, what we have seen might be complete and utter rubbish, but in a world where we've managed to stop thousands of killer diseases I'm willing to believe in it, right or wrong.
ye I mean it's not like you can buy your own microscope and take a look for yourself or anything.
Reply 23
Original post by ChickenMadness
ye I mean it's not like you can buy your own microscope and take a look for yourself or anything.

dude did you even read what I've said? I already explained why microscopes aren't proper
Original post by louieee
dude did you even read what I've said? I already explained why microscopes aren't proper

you can literally get a camera and record whats happening at a microscopic level. You can see whats in the textbooks actually happening in real time.
Reply 25
You are asking for a slap.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
you can literally get a camera and record whats happening at a microscopic level. You can see whats in the textbooks actually happening in real time.

but that doesn't mean anything. how does being able to see it justify what it is? I get that the coloured blobs you can see exist, but that doesn't mean that they're significant. as I said before, we could be trying to make sense of something that's actually really simple, and we're all trying to think up new, complex theories all the time. I'm not criticisng it because it does work, it explains what needs to be explained and it has good use, but that dunt mean it's true
Reply 27
Original post by Djent
You are asking for a slap.

Posted from TSR Mobile

read everything I've said and open your mind a little. it's just a theory (and not a particularly good one, I admit), but it was interesting to think about
Original post by louieee
but that doesn't mean anything. how does being able to see it justify what it is? I get that the coloured blobs you can see exist, but that doesn't mean that they're significant. as I said before, we could be trying to make sense of something that's actually really simple, and we're all trying to think up new, complex theories all the time. I'm not criticisng it because it does work, it explains what needs to be explained and it has good use, but that dunt mean it's true

lol that depends how far you want to take it. Would you saw its not true that the diaphram, controls the exapnding and contracting of the lungs, which determines the volume of air going in and out?

And that it is not true that the heart pumps blood around the body? These are things you can see happening. And the fact that something is small doesn't change this tbh
Reply 29
lol that depends how far you want to take it. Would you saw its not true that the diaphram, controls the exapnding and contracting of the lungs, which determines the volume of air going in and out?

And that it is not true that the heart pumps blood around the body? These are things you can see happening. And the fact that something is small doesn't change this tbh

I believe it to be true yeah, but obviously I can't really prove it to myself without cutting someone up :P

and I don't believe that 'biology is fake' as such, just that it could be. potentially we could all be being lied to about everything from medicine and disease to the basics of how our body works. if someone could influence people to believe things about their bodies and whole lifestyle, then realistically they have control over that person (to an extent). it's highly unlikely, but it could happen. Just like to me it's unlikely that scientist's are wrong about everything, but maybe they really are. who knows? that's my point, we can never know...so it only makes sense to question it all, right? so that we can know, or at least know better
Original post by louieee
I believe it to be true yeah, but obviously I can't really prove it to myself without cutting someone up :P

and I don't believe that 'biology is fake' as such, just that it could be. potentially we could all be being lied to about everything from medicine and disease to the basics of how our body works. if someone could influence people to believe things about their bodies and whole lifestyle, then realistically they have control over that person (to an extent). it's highly unlikely, but it could happen. Just like to me it's unlikely that scientist's are wrong about everything, but maybe they really are. who knows? that's my point, we can never know...so it only makes sense to question it all, right? so that we can know, or at least know better

Tbh I think thats more likely to be the case with physics than biology. Since a lot of biology is pretty literal and you can see it happening.

More likely I think that current physics theories will be completely proven wrong and they'l end up coming up with some new stuff. Physics is mostly guesswork though, not actually being able to see whats happening. Just seeing the effects of something invisible.
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Definitely a fake science if you ask me.

Nobody did. I doubt Oxford and Imperial would have entire degrees dedicated to it if it were a fake science.
Original post by louieee

In that case I suggest you get a microscope, observe what you see and try to come up with an explanation which fits with the known rules of chemistry and physics.

There's probably a Nobel prize waiting for you if you come up with something which a) works and b) is radically different to what other people have agreed was correct many decades ago.

Science requires faith in the observations of the researcher and the peer review process, but in theory you can check all observations/data yourself if you're sceptical. In practice journals are behind paywalls which I fundamentally disagree with, even though I accept they pretty much have to exist or journals wouldn't be profitable.
Reply 33
Original post by Manitude
In that case I suggest you get a microscope, observe what you see and try to come up with an explanation which fits with the known rules of chemistry and physics.

There's probably a Nobel prize waiting for you if you come up with something which a) works and b) is radically different to what other people have agreed was correct many decades ago.

Science requires faith in the observations of the researcher and the peer review process, but in theory you can check all observations/data yourself if you're sceptical. In practice journals are behind paywalls which I fundamentally disagree with, even though I accept they pretty much have to exist or journals wouldn't be profitable.

I don't need to come up with an explanation because I'm satisfied with the current ones, and as you can see I'm not exactly scientifically-minded anyway
Original post by louieee

Well, why are you singling out biology? We're one of the most macroscopic of the sciences - what about all the physicists and chemists with their tiny little molecules and their quantum mechanics? How do we know they're not all fake? :colone:
Reply 35
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Well, why are you singling out biology? We're one of the most macroscopic of the sciences - what about all the physicists and chemists with their tiny little molecules and their quantum mechanics? How do we know they're not all fake? :colone:

Maybe they are fake, but I'm singling out biology because I'm gonna fail it and I don't want to feel bad :P
Original post by louieee
I don't need to come up with an explanation because I'm satisfied with the current ones, and as you can see I'm not exactly scientifically-minded anyway

In the first sentence of the opening post you question whether or not they're true, which suggests you're not satisfied with them.
Reply 37
Original post by Manitude
In the first sentence of the opening post you question whether or not they're true, which suggests you're not satisfied with them.

just because I question it it doesn't mean I'm not satisfied. I think everything should be questioned, whether it's the best thing ever or not. Isn't that what science is all about, questioning things?
All of modern medicine is based on our understanding of human biology and cell biology. Modern medicine works. Hence, biology is not "fake".

An apt xkcd quote:

(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 39
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
All of modern medicine is based on our understanding of human biology and cell biology. Modern medicine works. Hence, biology is not "fake".

An apt xkcd quote:

If you can read you'll be able to see that I've already praised biology for this exact reason. I've acknowledged that it works, and that's the main reason that I 'believe' in it. I support scientists because the things they 'discover' are useful, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the scientists'understanding of it is true.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending