The Student Room Group

Is biology fake?

Scroll to see replies

Look up peer-review, one scientist cannot declare something the truth without others checking techniques, methodology, data etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lasershark
Nobody did. I doubt Oxford and Imperial would have entire degrees dedicated to it if it were a fake science.

Just ignore him, he thinks the Koran is 100% real - explains a lot

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
Original post by louieee
I believe it to be true yeah, but obviously I can't really prove it to myself without cutting someone up :P

and I don't believe that 'biology is fake' as such, just that it could be. potentially we could all be being lied to about everything from medicine and disease to the basics of how our body works. if someone could influence people to believe things about their bodies and whole lifestyle, then realistically they have control over that person (to an extent). it's highly unlikely, but it could happen. Just like to me it's unlikely that scientist's are wrong about everything, but maybe they really are. who knows? that's my point, we can never know...so it only makes sense to question it all, right? so that we can know, or at least know better

But isn't that the case with everything? We learn from what others tell us, we just have to believe it is true as we can never really know ourselves.
Reply 43
Original post by louieee
It's all so intricate and specific that I think maybe it isn't true; it seems a possibility that someone made it all up in order to stop people questioning deeper things. Why should ordinary people believe that cells have a golgi apparatus, or that a simple piece of bread is made up of some proper complex chemicals and stuff?

People will argue that biological theories are true because they make sense, that they explain life...but plenty of things can be used to explain life. How do we know that chicken contains such tiny things, and instead isn't just made of chicken? Yeah we can look down a microscope, but if an average person looked down a microscope they wouldn't be able to make 'sense' of it. It would just be colours and blobs. They're pressured into believing that what they see represents something more, so maybe microscope experts have been doing it for so long that their brain just makes them see what they're seeing and to keep them sane they tell themselves that what they're looking at isn't *just* chicken?

I'm only considering this theory because I regret taking biology and I want to justify my failure in it :P but maybe I'm right?

Isn't everything fake? After all, the whole of this just seems to weird to make up and to impossible for chance. The only solution is that nothing is real. this and this and this

If I make a solipsist society, will you join?
Biology is the best explanation of life we have "made up" using the scientific method. There are a lot of presumptions of the accuracy of the scientific method. Our senses may deceive us, but that's the best we could do. :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile
:lolwut:

...It simply isn't practical to demonstrate complex biology to every single person, since most people will never use it. But if you really wanted it "proving" to you, you could go and learn about it, do a degree, and find that the facts you're being taught are for the most part perfectly demonstrable. You could look down microscopes and do experiments and have your peers review them to "prove" Biology to yourself.

You may want to look into "peer review". The great thing about science is that if something doesn't make sense, it's investigated and tested, and is constantly developing, changing and correcting itself. It's not like one dude comes up with an idea and everyone just accepts it as the gospel truth forevermore! :p:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by SerLorasTyrell
Look up peer-review, one scientist cannot declare something the truth without others checking techniques, methodology, data etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

look up the beginning of this thread, I've already explained this
Reply 47
Original post by Aivicore
:lolwut:

...It simply isn't practical to demonstrate complex biology to every single person, since most people will never use it. But if you really wanted it "proving" to you, you could go and learn about it, do a degree, and find that the facts you're being taught are for the most part perfectly demonstrable. You could look down microscopes and do experiments and have your peers review them to "prove" Biology to yourself.

You may want to look into "peer review". The great thing about science is that if something doesn't make sense, it's investigated and tested, and is constantly developing, changing and correcting itself. It's not like one dude comes up with an idea and everyone just accepts it as the gospel truth forevermore! :p:

same as above
Reply 48
Original post by Demij22
But isn't that the case with everything? We learn from what others tell us, we just have to believe it is true as we can never really know ourselves.

exactly, we can never really know for ourselves. that's what I've been trying to say all along ._.
Original post by louieee
If you can read you'll be able to see that I've already praised biology for this exact reason. I've acknowledged that it works, and that's the main reason that I 'believe' in it. I support scientists because the things they 'discover' are useful, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the scientists'understanding of it is true.

If the scientists' understanding of biology wasn't correct, they wouldn't be able to use that understanding to make predictions about the world and find that those predictions come true. They certainly wouldn't be able to design new drugs.
Original post by louieee
exactly, we can never really know for ourselves. that's what I've been trying to say all along ._.

There's something called trust. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 51
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
If the scientists' understanding of biology wasn't correct, they wouldn't be able to use that understanding to make predictions about the world and find that those predictions come true. They certainly wouldn't be able to design new drugs.

you're wrong. look how many times people think they understand something, and it fails. also think about how often think they know something, but actually they don't, and yet their predictions are still right. I'm not saying that all scientific theories are wrong, but with the amount of theories there are it's quite likely some of them are just flukes. If I believe in God, then that could explain nearly everything: god created trees, god created babies etc. But I don't believe in god, so I turn to science. I then proceed to make this proper extravagant theory (which could be complete fiction) to explain it. The evidence is there (e.g. see what's happening through a microscope), but is it sufficient evidence? It is to some. But others will need better proof than that. I could get a kid to come up with a theory on par with scientists, but it would be false because we can't use that theory and apply it to the real world (which we can do with scientists). But just because it has real-world application, doesn't mean it's entirely correct still.
Original post by louieee
If I believe in God, then that could explain nearly everything: god created trees, god created babies etc. But I don't believe in god, so I turn to science.

How does the belief that science works negate or dismiss the existence of God? :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 53
Original post by RoyalBlue7
How does the belief that science works negate or dismiss the existence of God? :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't say it did? But if I believed that God controls everything just by magic, then I wouldn't need to have faith in science because god *just makes it happen*.
Reply 54
Original post by RoyalBlue7
There's something called trust. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't like having blind faith in things I know nothing about :P but I'll let it be, as long as good things keep coming from science I'm all for it.
Reply 55
You could publicly announce your faith with a dramatic demonstration of God's power over scientific arrogance. According to mainstream biology (clearly atheistic propaganda), the botulinum toxin is 'believed', theoretically, to have a lethal effect because of its effect on vesicle fusion. It would be a dramatic demonstration of the base falsity of science and government lies, and a concomitantly forceful declaration of your momentous faith if you could take a dose of this in public and have your so called "neural vesicles" (even though only scientists in their little cult have seen them) emerge unscathed.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by louieee
I didn't say it did? But if I believed that God controls everything just by magic, then I wouldn't need to have faith in science because god *just makes it happen*.

Just makes it happen? What if scientific explanations of natural phenomena are actually explanations of how God has designed them to work/be. Just saying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 57
Currently revising for medical exams please don't destroy the remaining ounce of my sanity by questioning if it is real.
Reply 58
Original post by Ferrus
You could publicly announce your faith with a dramatic demonstration of God's power over scientific arrogance. According to mainstream biology (clearly atheistic propaganda), the botulinum toxin is 'believed', theoretically, to have a lethal effect because of its effect on vesicle fusion. It would be a dramatic demonstration of the base falsity of science and government lies, and a concomitantly forceful declaration of your momentous faith if you could take a dose of this in public and have your so called "neural vesicles" (even though only scientists in their little cult have seen them) emerge unscathed.

dude read everything I've said. I'm not scientifically arrogant, if anyone is it's you. I'm being OPEN-MINDED. I've said multiple times that I have faith in science, but I'm QUESTIONING it because that's what science is all about. It'd be scientifically arrogant to fully accept all scientific theories without even considering other possibilities.

"lethal effect because of its effect on vesicle fusion", yes, but is the theory of WHY that happens correct? We can get as much evidence as we can for WHY it happens, we can even see it in a f***ing microscope, I'm just saying we can NEVER be 100% CERTAIN. God, reading ability is so low on here.
Original post by Bullet Knuckle
Biology is God's Technology !!!!

Physics is God's technology.

Technicians assemble things designed by engineers using discoveries found by physicist.

A living organ is an assembly of chemicals created by elements that exist because of the laws of physics.

Biology is applied chemistry is applied physics.

Physics is God's technology.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending