The Student Room Group

Is biology fake?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Arithmeticae
That's what the scientific method already does...

Science is based on empirical evidence that is gathered from experiments.

Take Newton's laws for example. They were considered correct at the time (and to all extents and purposes, they were), but they were superseded by special relativity. The only reason Newton's laws were taken to be true was because worked and they were the best theory around.

I know, but as soon as I do the exact same thing about science itself suddenly I become a nob. I don't get why 'scientists' are being disrespectful when all I'm doing is the same as them, just about something more general and from a slightly different angle.
Reply 81
Original post by Masoudy
This is called not-baseless accusation: You're a 6 years old kid with issues (quoting from a TSR profile):

" When I grow up I want to be less dependent on other people and just have a secure state of mind, I also plan on being properly loved one day :3"

if a six year old kid with issues said that to me, I'd praise them for having the strength and self-awareness to feel a way that most people would never admit, or even acknowledge, in their entire life-time.

Yet again your argument is invalid, a) because it has nothing to do with what we're talking about, and b) because you're just irrelevant to my life. What I said on my profile is true, and I can't see in any way why wanting to be more independent, secure and loved is a quality known only to children "with issues".
have you heard of ToK? you sound as if you were after/in IB. totally.
Reply 83
Original post by cortadita
have you heard of ToK? you sound as if you were after/in IB. totally.

nope, what is it?
Original post by louieee
nope, what is it?

haha, Theory of Knowledge (http://www.theoryofknowledge.net/), part of IB course, basically questioning everything. example? on our first lesson our teacher asked us how did we know we are in the classroom. he would probably love your thread! :biggrin: well, my tok essay covered the reliability of ethics and science, but I concentrated on physics there. my conclusions? nothing is certain, especially in science
Reply 85
One does simply not question scientific facts!
Nullius in verba
Reply 87
Original post by cortadita
haha, Theory of Knowledge (http://www.theoryofknowledge.net/), part of IB course, basically questioning everything. example? on our first lesson our teacher asked us how did we know we are in the classroom. he would probably love your thread! :biggrin: well, my tok essay covered the reliability of ethics and science, but I concentrated on physics there. my conclusions? nothing is certain, especially in science

haha sounds awesome (but I'm not smart enough for that sort of thing :P)
Reply 88
Original post by shiggydiggy
Nullius in verba

exactly :P
Reply 89
To some extend I disagree it is through questioning that we advance our knowledge in science. If we did not question current science then we would never be at the stage we are today. Thats not to say by any means that science is not true or real but that it is constantly evolving. In the case of the majority of scientific theory it is almost certainly correct as you would see it you replicated many of the experiments (with their replicatable nature providing more evidence of their reliability (so please have some repect for the researchers who have dedicated thousands of hours and their lives in the name of advancing our understanding) although I agree that their is some disagreement in some of the more 'nitty gritty' stuff (and I mean really detailed stuff). I really don't think the question of origin bears any impact on the data. A nucleus is present in a cell (erythrocytes and anucleated cells exluded) whether you believe that is a result of evolution or as a direct result of.the actions of a higher being/force.
Reply 90
Original post by jadpan
To some extend I disagree it is through questioning that we advance our knowledge in science. If we did not question current science then we would never be at the stage we are today. Thats not to say by any means that science is not true or real but that it is constantly evolving. In the case of the majority of scientific theory it is almost certainly correct as you would see it you replicated many of the experiments (with their replicatable nature providing more evidence of their reliability (so please have some repect for the researchers who have dedicated thousands of hours and their lives in the name of advancing our understanding) although I agree that their is some disagreement in some of the more 'nitty gritty' stuff (and I mean really detailed stuff). I really don't think the question of origin bears any impact on the data. A nucleus is present in a cell (erythrocytes and anucleated cells exluded) whether you believe that is a result of evolution or as a direct result of.the actions of a higher being/force.

I have plenty of respect for them, I'm sure I've already said that. You're not really saying anything new to me, but I'd like to add that just because we know what happens, doesn't mean we know /why/ it happens. And that's pretty much what I've been saying.
Original post by louieee
It's all so intricate and specific that I think maybe it isn't true; it seems a possibility that someone made it all up in order to stop people questioning deeper things. Why should ordinary people believe that cells have a golgi apparatus, or that a simple piece of bread is made up of some proper complex chemicals and stuff?

People will argue that biological theories are true because they make sense, that they explain life...but plenty of things can be used to explain life. How do we know that chicken contains such tiny things, and instead isn't just made of chicken? Yeah we can look down a microscope, but if an average person looked down a microscope they wouldn't be able to make 'sense' of it. It would just be colours and blobs. They're pressured into believing that what they see represents something more, so maybe microscope experts have been doing it for so long that their brain just makes them see what they're seeing and to keep them sane they tell themselves that what they're looking at isn't *just* chicken?

I'm only considering this theory because I regret taking biology and I want to justify my failure in it :P but maybe I'm right?

tbh the only reason why this has been kept secret for so long is that so many people make their living from this so-called "cell" biology. also on the physics side they keep banging on about so-called "atoms". they must think we were born yesterday.
Reply 92
Original post by the bear
tbh the only reason why this has been kept secret for so long is that so many people make their living from this so-called "cell" biology. also on the physics side they keep banging on about so-called "atoms". they must think we were born yesterday.

Do you not have the intelligence to see things from another perspective? :smile: I'm sorry, I didn't realise that some people are unable to think for themselves :frown:
Original post by louieee
Do you not have the intelligence to see things from another perspective? :smile: I'm sorry, I didn't realise that some people are unable to think for themselves :frown:

no bear™ is a thicko.

no, worse than that bear™ is a moron who was thrown out of cretin school because he found the work too difficult

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending