The Student Room Group

is having friends and joining social clubs a sign of weakness

is the "look at me , I don't need anyone and am happy alone" thing just a fake image people put out to show that they are not needy

Scroll to see replies

I would disagree with the question in your title. I don't think having friends is necessarily a sign of weakness. We are social creatures after all.
Reply 2
Not if you're in your twenties.
Original post by james1211
Not if you're in your twenties.

Or maybe it is, and that's why they don't join them!

No OP I don't think it is.
So when you hit 20, cut off contact with everyone and just concentrate on your career ?
Original post by democracyforum
So when you hit 20, cut off contact with everyone and just concentrate on your career ?

Sounds like a recipe for misery.
Original post by Катя
Sounds like a recipe for misery.

Isn't it needy to need people and relationships though ?

I have this great fear of coming across as needy and needing people to satisfy my emotional needs.
That can only come from within can't it ?

So may as well just cut off contact with everyone and not get close to anyone.
Reply 7
Though, one thing I've always wondered... Why don't people in their 20s join social groups?

:tongue:
So may as well just cut off contact with everyone and not get close to anyone.

This is me. I can tell you, it's not that much fun. I feel very empty.
Jesus, people on here are so depressive..
No of course not! There are different definitions of social strength and weakness. I could take two people, one the social person with lots of friends, and the other a complete lone wolf, and I could very easily say that they are both strong. What makes a person weak, is how they deal with their own social standing. Clingy people, that rely overly on their friends are weak, and a lone wolf that get depressed and indecisive, can be weak too. There is a much deeper issue that deals with a person's strength. Having friends and being social vs not doing so, is not something that can outright determine a person's strength, although they may influence it.

Also, quick point. You are making the assumption that having friends and being social = neediness on other people. That is simply not true.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by + polarity -

Let me fill you up bbz.

Wait. Wat.
Original post by + polarity -

Why ?

you feel inferior ? superior ? judged ? insecure about looks, job, money ? or you have social nervousness ? afraid of coming across as a clingy nuisance ?

or you want to come across as a cool, loner ? afraid to show interest in people ?

explain why.
(edited 9 years ago)
Our ability to work together is precisely why we're the most powerful species.

Solitude is bad for your mental health - hence why solitary confinement is regarded as a form of torture.
Isn't it needy to need people and relationships though ?

Certainly not. Why would you think that?
Original post by The Socktor
Our ability to work together is precisely why we're the most powerful species.

Solitude is bad for your mental health - hence why solitary confinement is regarded as a form of torture.

My dad said the same thing. I think you're right.
is the "look at me , I don't need anyone and am happy alone" thing just a fake image people put out to show that they are not needy

Are you high? Your 20's is when you get invites to gentlemen's clubs (the Oxford and Cambridge, the Reform, the Travellers') and you make your friends there and break into society! You can't make your debut at the age of 30... you have to do it while you're at uni or a short time after.
Personally, I think the most rewarding things in life are good relationships with people and making other people happy. So I'd completely disagree.

Community, love, acceptance of other people are things that really make life worth living imo. Why live without it?
Humans naturally need companionship, otherwise they'd go insane, such as people who've been cast away or have been in solitary confinement, friends are needed tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nobody likes to be alone for a long time, no matter what they say. Everybody needs a friend.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending