The Student Room Group

Does note taking matter?

If you don't take notes in your college class or any other class does it mean you'll probably fail? I'm starting college in September and i have full faith that I will know everything I need to from the text books I bought. I will take notes if I feel necessary but I'm more keen on just reading the textbooks to recap on what I need help with
Reply 1
I took some notes, never read them.
I never actually read any notes I take in class -_-

IMO if you really need notes you have a whole internet full of them. I guess the act of note taking itself might help you retain information, and you may learn better from your own notes, but it's by no means essential.
I only take notes a couple of days before exams and that too just because it helps me retain the information I need to know :smile: It's not something I do throughout the year.
I don't really take notes throughout the year / started the process during Easter.

Tbh, didn't even use my notes too much - just printed some off online and used those
Reply 5
Made a shiet tonne of notes, didn't read 5% of them for my AS's this year... Past papers all the way buddy
Reply 6
At university, yes.

Anything below that: no.
I prefer my notes because I only write the relevant information.

Text books are full of 'real life' examples which are not relevant to the exam and sometimes take a whole page to explain something you could explain to yourself in a few pages.
I'm in my first year at university studying pharmacy and I haven't made a single page of notes. This is just because my learning style is different to most people's - I learn better by actually listening to what the lecturer is saying, and that sticks in my mind. Note taking (I've tried) doesn't help me as much as just listening to lecturers word-for-word.

At the end of the day, I think the take-home message is to try and do both early on, and stick to whatever suits you more.
Do people actually read their notes? I go to school to learn and thus keep what I learn in my head.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending