The Student Room Group

Making flashcards

I started my first day today and made flashcards for biology but it’s so time consuming and there’s no good digital flashcards for OCR A. I find myself not wanting to test myself straight away. So I just wanna ask how can you manage to make flashcards and test yourself with them while having homework due , making more flashcards and doing 2 other subjects. I also have to do independent studying which is the minimum expectation in my school so it adds extra revision to what I’m doing.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 1
With the best will in the world, forget making flash cards. Of all the revision activities you could spend your time doing, this is the least beneficial to learning yet so many people do it. Why - because it is easy and when you have created a stack of flashcards, you have something to show for your time, even if you can't remember what is on them.

If you want to spend your time productively, read through your notes after each lesson.
Note and attempt to learn key words and key terms.
Note and memorise key formulas and make sure you understand key concepts
Then, write your own exam style questions and answers.
Finally, get some past papers and answer topic related questions before checking the mark scheme to see if you got it right.

Now, you are probably thinking that that sounds like a lot of hard work and it would be easier to continue making flash cards? You are right. It is hard work and effort is required. You certainly can't do what I have suggested in front of the TV. But that is what A* students do and that is why they get A*s.

Good luck and don't waste any more time on flash cards.
dont make a flashcard for every little thing but instead try and understand the concept, this can be done by evaluating, analyzing what you have learned, so basically ask yourself how does this relate to what i learned? and what role does it have in the big picture? and why does this happen? you know you have understood something if you can explain it to a 5 year old. If you understand it will stay in your long term memory and wont need flashcards, like think of your teachers or professors they dont need to use flashcards or study anymore because they understand biology inside and out

only use flashcards for information that requires memorization e.g formula for carbonic acid or for topics that you struggle to understand,
Reply 3
Only use flash cards if they are a technique that works for you. Personally I find them overrated, time consuming and fiddly. For me a notebook is better
Reply 4
Original post by yupcabra23
dont make a flashcard for every little thing but instead try and understand the concept, this can be done by evaluating, analyzing what you have learned, so basically ask yourself how does this relate to what i learned? and what role does it have in the big picture? and why does this happen? you know you have understood something if you can explain it to a 5 year old. If you understand it will stay in your long term memory and wont need flashcards, like think of your teachers or professors they dont need to use flashcards or study anymore because they understand biology inside and out

only use flashcards for information that requires memorization e.g formula for carbonic acid or for topics that you struggle to understand,

Thank you so much for the advice! It makes much more sense to use flashcards only for when it’s really necessary :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by hotpud
With the best will in the world, forget making flash cards. Of all the revision activities you could spend your time doing, this is the least beneficial to learning yet so many people do it. Why - because it is easy and when you have created a stack of flashcards, you have something to show for your time, even if you can't remember what is on them.

If you want to spend your time productively, read through your notes after each lesson.
Note and attempt to learn key words and key terms.
Note and memorise key formulas and make sure you understand key concepts
Then, write your own exam style questions and answers.
Finally, get some past papers and answer topic related questions before checking the mark scheme to see if you got it right.

Now, you are probably thinking that that sounds like a lot of hard work and it would be easier to continue making flash cards? You are right. It is hard work and effort is required. You certainly can't do what I have suggested in front of the TV. But that is what A* students do and that is why they get A*s.

Good luck and don't waste any more time on flash cards.

Thank you so much! I’ll definitely try out your suggested method because it seems a lot better than piling up a bunch of flashcards.
Reply 6
Original post by Zarek
Only use flash cards if they are a technique that works for you. Personally I find them overrated, time consuming and fiddly. For me a notebook is better

Yeah I don’t think I’m cut out for it unfortunately. I’ve always done note taking too along with blurting which always seems to be much more comfortable for me. I’ve now realised it’s just a matter of preference. Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest