The Student Room Group

Is anyone else terrified of starting Alevels?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Paras Agarwal
terrified! what u talking bout OP! I;m currently sitting my A level exams and tbh they are going good! nothing to be terrified its just like gcse's! :smile:

Good! That's very reassuring! What Alevels are you studying?
Reply 21
Original post by AlphaNick
So, you're taking Chemistry, Biology, Geography and English Literature... You've got nothing to worry about compared to me.

I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and History (may change History to Mandarin though)

Yeah but your Alevels link together really well and I'm guessing your very mathematically gifted whereas I'm just an average balanced person.
Original post by amelimoo
Biology, Chemistry, English Literature and Geography.

I'm worried because I enjoy every one of my subjects at GCSE except health and social care and physics so it's been really hard for me to pick subjects. Also I'm one of very few people that are taking 4 Alevels and I don't want to disappoint anyone.

What subjects are you studying?

That's a good selection, nice balance of essay and science.

Yeah, I know what you mean. When it came to choosing a-levels, all I knew is that I didn't want to continue with history or chemistry, and that I loved biology. I started the year with 5 a-levels, just because I couldn't choose. Two weeks in, I dropped French, I couldn't get on with the new teacher they'd employed.

I take Maths, Physics, Biology and Media Studies.
Good! That's very reassuring! What Alevels are you studying?

bio chem math and physics
Reply 24
Original post by loperdoper
That's a good selection, nice balance of essay and science.

Yeah, I know what you mean. When it came to choosing a-levels, all I knew is that I didn't want to continue with history or chemistry, and that I loved biology. I started the year with 5 a-levels, just because I couldn't choose. Two weeks in, I dropped French, I couldn't get on with the new teacher they'd employed.

I take Maths, Physics, Biology and Media Studies.

Thanks, which one do you enjoy the most and why?
Reply 25
Original post by Paras Agarwal
bio chem math and physics

Which one do you enjoy the most and which one do you find the most challenging?
Which one do you enjoy the most and which one do you find the most challenging?

i absolutely enjoy bio, chem and math.. physics is the real killer tho unless you have passion for it! i just took it as i didnt know what else my 4th AS option should be
Thanks, which one do you enjoy the most and why?

Hmm, probably learning content I enjoy biology the most, just because I love biology. Coursework wise it's media, we make videos for the coursework and editing is great, even whilst I was spending three hours after school every day for about three weeks editing. And maths is the most fun for revision (if that is possible), because you can get into it like clockwork.

Overall though, probably biology. I had a stupidly high workload in the first term (we were a big class and the department were trying to scare kids into dropping it to slim numbers), but once I got the chance to look it over in detail again, I found all the content so interesting and I love it a lot.
Reply 28
As you should be.
I can't wait! No more boring subjects to do, just science and maths :smile::smile::smile:
Reply 30
Original post by Azzer11
I can't wait! No more boring subjects to do, just science and maths :smile::smile::smile:

I'm in the exact same mindset, looking forward to it!
Is anyone terrified about starting Alevels? Personally I'm really worried I'll pick subjects that I'll hate and fail miserably.

I seriously hated it at first since most of my friends left but the time went by SO fast, I'm amazed that I'm finishing AS tomorrow.
Schools usually have a period where you can switch subjects so don't worry.
A levels are also not that much of a huge jump that everyone says, I found it alot more interesting and easier to manage.

I'm doing Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and Maths and aiming for aaab this year.
Reply 32
Original post by Faithams
I seriously hated it at first since most of my friends left but the time went by SO fast, I'm amazed that I'm finishing AS tomorrow.
Schools usually have a period where you can switch subjects so don't worry.
A levels are also not that much of a huge jump that everyone says, I found it alot more interesting and easier to manage.

I'm doing Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and Maths and aiming for aaab this year.

How are you finding biology and Chemistry and what bored are you on?
Reply 33
I'm incredibly excited to start my AS/A2 levels, as I'll be going to a better school with friends and will be doing subjects I actually want to do.
Reply 34
Oh, I'm taking physics, chemistry, maths and further maths; I can't wait to drop subjects like geography.
Im self teaching my A levels - psych and sociology. After reading what some people say about how hard they are im starting to worry!

Posted from TSR Mobile
i'm taking Biology Chemistry Maths French ( AS Mandarin Extended Project and General Studies)
I'm doing Spanish, French,English, History and Music. I'm bloody terrified about English and History :hide:, but at least I'll enjoy them :wink:
How are you finding biology and Chemistry and what bored are you on?

I'm doing OCR for both. I love Chemistry and find it easier than Biology, it does go into a lot of depth but most people in my class enjoy it. There is quite a lot of maths included, its pretty simple formulas though that you just apply to each different question.

I find Biology really boring. You cover A LOT of things in very little detail so you're pretty much memorizing everything. It's not necessarily difficult though it's just because I only started revising 2 weeks before exams and there tends to be very random questions you have to apply your knowledge to. :colondollar:
If you just go other little bits throughout the year you should have no problems.

Quick Reply

Latest