The Student Room Group

So scared for university

Anyone else very scared for university. So scared it will be shut and I will miss home but will have no one near to talk to. I'm scared Ill make jo friends. I feel super shut sometimes and fat and don't wnst to go out and scared Ill have **** taken out of me. I know bo one in Wales. I'm not very out going and quite boring. I'm off drinking coz I feel so **** and defo off drugs coz I will porbs have panic attack from them and mess my brain up.
The uni I'm going to is small. I'm worrying so much my stomach hurts. I can't help it. I've been offered a great opportunity and would regret it if I didn't go. I'm scared terrified I'll get depressed and lonely and have no one to talk to. I need to move out tho and grow up. My parent won't be about forever and it far better and less scary then like the army or traveling.
Anyone else moving and very very scared. Anyone going to northwards?
Thank u
Hi,

Going to uni can be a very scary time, I know a lot of people who felt similar when they started. It is the most independence most people have ever had and as such they can feel quite overwhelmed. All I can say is that almost everyone who goes to uni is worried about the same things you are, that they won't make friends, that they won't fit in, that people will laugh at them.

Small uni's can be beneficial when it comes to making friends. They aren't as overwhelming as larger uni's and due to the smaller class sizes you end up mingling with people more. I would also recommend utilising your universities support services and contacting them as soon as possible. They will have some kind of student wellbeing team that can help you settle in and offer you support, counselling etc...

The uni will also probably put on lots of optional social events to help you meet people, but you don't have to go so hopefully you won't feel pressured to attend.

Try to remember that uni isn't final, if you aren't enjoying it, you don't have to do it but you might find that you love it!

Feel free to ask if you have any questions,
Mike
Change is always difficult, and it's natural to feel scared about moving away from home & starting a new life at university in a way. Everything will be different; your surroundings, your circle, your day-to-day routine. But I promise you, after a while, you settle into a new normal & it eventually becomes your life.

Adjusting takes time, but you'll get there :smile:

The good thing about uni is that everyone's in a similar boat; so people are super friendly & outgoing as they want to make new friends too. You'll find your people!
Reply 3
What you feeling right now is totally NORMAL - a bit excited, a bit anxious, and 'will it all be okay'.
If they are honest so is everyone else right now, but it will be fine once you get there and get going.

Remember that everyone else will be 'new' as well, and Freshers Week is designed to get you over this and get you started with making friends and feeling that you do belong there. You will look back in a few month's time and wonder what you were so bothered about - promise.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending