The Student Room Group

Is anyone else terrified of starting Alevels?

Scroll to see replies

Current AS student here (although I only have one AS exam left) - A levels aren't as scary as everyone makes them out to be. Yes, there is a jump from GCSE to A level, but remember this: if you get the grade requirements for your chosen subjects - or even if you don't get the grades you wanted because you had an off-day in an exam, but you otherwise show your sixth form/college that you could have reached the grade requirements - your have done well enough to take that subject to A level, so you are, by default, capable of overcoming that leap. If you just keep a level head (no pun intended), things will work out. Revise from day 4 (because the first few days will be 99% admin and recapping GCSE) - this makes it so much easier when it comes to exam season - but likewise, don't exhaust yourself - initially, three hours per subject per week should be more than sufficient, although you might find you need to do slightly more or slightly less depending on your personal learning style (but think of revision in topics not hours, because that feels a lot less daunting). Also, keep neat notes, and keep them organised - if that means completely re-writing your class notes and putting it in a nice ringbinder, then so be it, but that might not be necessary for your subjects. If you do all that - that is, keep calm, keep organised and work hard - very little can go wrong.
There's nothing to be scared of, just remember to start revising maybe a month before exams and you'll be fine :wink:
Reply 42
I'm actually very excited.

I always hear A-levels are huge jump from GCSEs especially sciences but that's what excites me most! GCSEs never challenged me in terms of difficulty (well, writing essays in time was hard as English isn't my first language, but contents are easy) and I love to be challenged.

Also before I started GCSEs, I had no idea what the hell is all about when reading science articles. I have always been curious and read a few articles sometimes but as I didn't have much basic knowledge I couldn't understand them. But after I completed GCSEs I can now understand most of the articles and actually enjoy them. I'm excited how much I will be able comprehend after learning A-level contents!

Though I am VERY scared of changing school for Sixthform. Especially because I have experienced racism and such when I just came to my current school (which I have become to love now).
Original post by Катя
I don't think it's as pronounced for some subjects as others, tbh. English lit and French I found to be very straight-forward, for instance.

How did you find French to be so straight forward? I felt like I learned hardly anything at GCSE, so AS was a huge jump.
Reply 44
Original post by Faithams
I'm doing OCR for both. I love Chemistry and find it easier than Biology, it does go into a lot of depth but most people in my class enjoy it. There is quite a lot of maths included, its pretty simple formulas though that you just apply to each different question.

I find Biology really boring. You cover A LOT of things in very little detail so you're pretty much memorizing everything. It's not necessarily difficult though it's just because I only started revising 2 weeks before exams and there tends to be very random questions you have to apply your knowledge to. :colondollar:
If you just go other little bits throughout the year you should have no problems.

Haha okay, my school does OCR as well
Original post by amelimoo
Is anyone terrified about starting Alevels? Personally I'm really worried I'll pick subjects that I'll hate and fail miserably.

Nope, not really :tongue:
Reply 46
I'm so excited about everything. From clothes and stationery shopping to doing the subjects I love :smile:

I'm doing English Literature, History, Psychology & Politics (I vow to never do maths or science again :P)
Original post by amelimoo
Haha okay, my school does OCR as well

Maybe take a look at past papers? It will look alot harder right now since you haven't started but it'll give you an idea. There's a controlled assessment too but I think its simpler than GCSE controlled assessments.
Anyway, good luck choosing :smile:
Reply 48
It's a mixed response from me. I'm really excited about the next step in a different sixth form :biggrin: But also pretty sad because I've sort of become attached to my current school that I'm leaving :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest