The Student Room Group

Completely messed up this year - will Cambridge look down on resits?

This year started off quite well for me, but it's gone quite steeply downhill. Overall I think I've done okay in most exams so far, think I've at least managed to scrape by with 80% in most subjects and hopefully I can bring my last few exams up.

But I completely messed up on my CHEM2 exam. CHEM1 went great, my ISA went great, but in unit 2 I didn't get higher than 50%. I didn't answer enough questions to get higher than 50%.

So things are looking quite bleak now, but I'm hoping my other subjects will turn out alright. I really, really haven't done as well as I should have this year, so I'm going to need to resit CHEM2 at least.

Really I'm just wondering whether it's still worth applying for Cambridge. I've heard different things about their policies toward resits, so if anyone could give any advice I'd appreciate it.
Original post by JordanL_

Really I'm just wondering whether it's still worth applying for Cambridge.

I'll never understand this question. Is there anyone applying for Cambridge who thinks he might get in nowhere? You have four other choices, it costs you nothing, and the large majority of people applying to Cambridge anyway don't get in whether they've done resits or gotten great grades first time out.

I mean, if you had 6 choices, such that you could apply for Cambridge and 5 others, thus resolving your imagined dilemma, would that be ever so very different?

Put it in the mixer, son.
Okay, I suppose I don't want to know if it's worth applying. Really just whether it'll lower my chances significantly or not.
Reply 3
You won't get in. Your best bet is to blitz next year, take a gap year and reapply.
Original post by Namige
You won't get in. Your best bet is to blitz next year, take a gap year and reapply.

Okay, thanks. This is what I was thinking of doing.

Should I still resit chemistry next year, or would that just work to my disadvantage?
Original post by Namige

But if he won't get in and should take a gap year, where's the cost in having a hail mary go at it? Having applied before doesn't prejudice an application.
Reply 6
Original post by cambio wechsel
But if he won't get in and should take a gap year, where's the cost in having a hail mary go at it? Having applied before doesn't prejudice an application.
The cost of one option on your ucas form. The OP may eventually warm to that option despite not truly considering it in the beginning. That justifies it in my opinion.
Reply 7
Okay, thanks. This is what I was thinking of doing.

Should I still resit chemistry next year, or would that just work to my disadvantage?
Resit some modules, yes. Cambridge does say that even the best may not have the best exam days on occasion. It shouldn't disadvantage you too much provided you only resit a few exams.
Original post by Namige
The cost of one option on your ucas form. The OP may eventually warm to that option despite not truly considering it in the beginning. That justifies it in my opinion.

but if he takes a year out as you suggest, he won't be completing a UCAS from this year...

So why not just throw one out there?
Reply 9
Original post by cambio wechsel
but if he takes a year out as you suggest, he won't be completing a UCAS from this year...

So why not just throw one out there?
Why wouldn't he apply this year? His decision may change over the course of the year and there's no loss in applying
Original post by Namige
Why wouldn't he apply this year? His decision may change over the course of the year and there's no loss in applying

yeah, I think we're only talking at cross purposes.
Reply 11
This year started off quite well for me, but it's gone quite steeply downhill. Overall I think I've done okay in most exams so far, think I've at least managed to scrape by with 80% in most subjects and hopefully I can bring my last few exams up.

But I completely messed up on my CHEM2 exam. CHEM1 went great, my ISA went great, but in unit 2 I didn't get higher than 50%. I didn't answer enough questions to get higher than 50%.

So things are looking quite bleak now, but I'm hoping my other subjects will turn out alright. I really, really haven't done as well as I should have this year, so I'm going to need to resit CHEM2 at least.

Really I'm just wondering whether it's still worth applying for Cambridge. I've heard different things about their policies toward resits, so if anyone could give any advice I'd appreciate it.

Why are you selling yourself short?! You can get in if you bend over backwards, do your best and don't give it all up because of all the negativities you've heard. If its your fate is certain to happen, and you never know, maybe not getting in would be the best thing that ever happened to you. Stay positive :cute:
Reply 12
Original post by HannahAS
Why are you selling yourself short?! You can get in if you bend over backwards, do your best and don't give it all up because of all the negativities you've heard. If its your fate is certain to happen, and you never know, maybe not getting in would be the best thing that ever happened to you. Stay positive :cute:

That all being true... If you don't have an 85% average you wont get an interview.

If you intend to take a gap year I would suggest that you resit chem and gap year applicants who are successful have 2-3 A*'s

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for the advice, guys! I've decided I'm gonna apply next year just in case, but I'll be resitting chemistry and anything else where I get below 80%. Right now I just really need to get 80% across everything so I can get an A* next year. Then I'll take a gap year and reapply and just see what happens.
Thanks for the advice, guys! I've decided I'm gonna apply next year just in case, but I'll be resitting chemistry and anything else where I get below 80%. Right now I just really need to get 80% across everything so I can get an A* next year. Then I'll take a gap year and reapply and just see what happens.

Exactly what I'm doing, except not for Oxbridge, and not for chemistry. But wow, good luck, epic course! :biggrin:
Original post by Wisefire
Exactly what I'm doing, except not for Oxbridge, and not for chemistry. But wow, good luck, epic course! :biggrin:

Oh, I'm not applying for chem. Don't think I could handle 3 years of that :P Just resitting it because it's been my worst exam so far.

But thank you, and good luck to you too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending