The Student Room Group

Pirlo will destroy Henderson/Gerrard

They are simply not good enough.England will struggle to keep possession like last time in the Euro's where they only had an abysmal 30% of the possession with Gerrard in midfield. As good as player he is(and hey he might help us with an odd assist from a set piece) he cannot keep possession and control the midfield and Henderson is no Scholes either.England don't have a midfielder that can keep the ball or with great technical ability.Made a big mistake by leaving out Carrick .Barkley should start to add that spark.Wilshere would've been perfect but he seems to have lost his touch recently.

I reckon Welbeck will be marking Pirlo so unless he does a good job I can see England struggling against any decent midfield and Italy bossing the possession.England's central midfield department is rubbish for a top team.Wheres' England version of pirlo or Xavi? I'm not expecting them to have anything as good these players but since Gazza, England have not had a truly world class midfielder that has the ability to control the game.There was Scholes but typical Engalnd shunted him to the left of midfield to accommodate the 'world class' partnership of Lamp/Gerard ofcourse.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I see the 'once every four years' football experts have started posting then.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by sarah22345
Made a big mistake by leaving out Carrick.

Carrick should be nowhere near the squad and that's coming from a Manchester United fan. He's been poor this past 12 months and the only reason he's escaped critisism is because he's been slightly less **** than Fellaini and Cleverley. Barry and Huddlestone deserve a place over him.

Original post by Wilfred Little

We haven't seen nothing yet :sad:
Reply 4
England will get beat by Italy and Uruguay and draw against Costa Rica to finish bottom of their group. Haha!
Reply 5
Original post by Wilfred Little

name me one English midfielder that can control the game ? I thought so.

Gerrard is overrated as a central midfielder
I agree. Pirlo will run the show and still only manage to get a draw... Just like two years ago.
Original post by TheMagicRat
I agree. Pirlo will run the show and still only manage to get a draw... Just like two years ago.

:cool:

Common sense has been restored.
Reply 8
Enlgand are ****ed!

The real problem lies at the centre of the park !

England has no player in the central midfield area who can control the tempo of a game. England quite simply does not produce players of that ilk.

I watched the last Euros and was amazed at the amount of stick the wide players received when the problem really lay centrally.

The inability of the central midfielders to control the pace and tempo of the game resulted in them passing the responsibility to create to the wide players who would often receive the ball to feet rather than in space and would now have to beat their marker from a standing start to create goalscoring opportunities. Obviously many moves broke down before they could start because of this. This also placed undue pressure on the full backs to create opportunities. When attacking moves broke down the full backs were often caught out of position up-field with the central midfield unable to provide defensive cover.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
x

Why are you copy pasting from other internet fora, spelling errors and all?

Care to have an original opinion?
So what if they have more possession?

Possession doesn't win football matches, goals do.
With an attack consisting of the likes of Rooney, Sturridge, Ox, Lallana and Sterling we wont need to much possesion to score goals.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm an Italy fan.

England will win thanks to Ireland breaking Montolivos leg in the friendly.
Reply 13
Enlgand are fecked!

The real problem lies at the centre of the park !

England has no player in the central midfield area who can control the tempo of a game. England quite simply does not produce players of that ilk.

I watched the last Euros and was amazed at the amount of stick the wide players received when the problem really lay centrally.

The inability of the central midfielders to control the pace and tempo of the game resulted in them passing the responsibility to create to the wide players who would often receive the ball to feet rather than in space and would now have to beat their marker from a standing start to create goalscoring opportunities. Obviously many moves broke down before they could start because of this. This also placed undue pressure on the full backs to create opportunities. When attacking moves broke down the full backs were often caught out of position up-field with the central midfield unable to provide defensive cover.

So tell me, how did Liverpool beat Man City 3-2 at Anfield when City had the majority of the possession? You don't need a Pirlo/Scholes in midfield to play attractive, attacking football. What England need is to drop Rooney to the bench, play Gerrard-Henderson in midfield, Lallana-Barkley-Sterling as the three in midfield, and Sturridge up front. That team has incredible pace, but it needs more discipline. If England play with the right tempo, like Liverpool do, play really fast paced counter-attacking football, possession football will again (Bayern 0-4 Real Madrid) be destroyed.
Reply 14
Tbf OP sort of has a point, while a pretty obvious point that our midfield is terrible, however her suggestions to who should replace those players aren't the best.

Carrick playing there will just slow down the tempo, he's an English John Obi Mikel with less strength. We'll keep possession but will be fruitless with it, Italy will press us and dominate, like teams do to United.

Stopping pirlo can be done by telling Rooney/Lallana to stay in the hole and do a job on him, Gerrard Henderson isn't the best double pivot but who else have we got? It's not like the team are suited to possession football anyway If England had a tough tackling DM we could push Henderson further up to do a job on pirlo. Prandelli likes tactical variation so you never know what formation he'll use, you'd expect him to go 3-5-2 or 4-4-2 diamond though.

There's a lot of formations I'd be inclined to use, I may go 4-5-1, get Rooney to start and to drop a little deeper and help take out pirlo. Welbeck and Sterling on the wings to stop the runs of the fullbacks, since their fullbacks are fast it would be best to pin them back a bit and get a willing runner to test them. Or I'd go 4-2-3-1, Lallana and Sturridge with Sterling and Welbeck on the wings. It looks daunting eitherway and will be a park the bus job.
England have Sterling.nuff said.
Drewski with them Sherlock Holmes manoeuvres :biggrin:

Pasted from RedCafe as well :biggrin:
Reply 17
England were much better without Gerrard in midfield!
Reply 18
Give Pirlo space and he's destructive, use Henderson to follow him around the pitch all day and he will stifle him.
Reply 19
England were much better without Gerrard in midfield!

Gerrard wasn't the problem.

Rooney was. The integration between the CMs and the AMs were a problem because Rooney doesn't offer enough drive there. Gerrard should play deeper while the CMs
Original post by AnharM
So tell me, how did Liverpool beat Man City 3-2 at Anfield when City had the majority of the possession? You don't need a Pirlo/Scholes in midfield to play attractive, attacking football. What England need is to drop Rooney to the bench, play Gerrard-Henderson in midfield, Lallana-Barkley-Sterling as the three in midfield, and Sturridge up front. That team has incredible pace, but it needs more discipline. If England play with the right tempo, like Liverpool do, play really fast paced counter-attacking football, possession football will again (Bayern 0-4 Real Madrid) be destroyed.

But England have their version of Pirlo/Scholes. His name is Gerrard. He's not a simple possession retainer but he is a deep lying playmaker, he relies on releasing players early with quick passing, he's essentially an inferior Xabi Alonso. He probably gets tips from Xabi on how to play the role. Liverpool originally played a possession style under rodgers, but he realised that their potential is better if they played more into space and quick counter attacks with the pace of Sturridge+Sterling and quick interchanges with Suarez.

Agree with dropping Rooney though. Disagree with the three in midfield. For all the glitter that Barkley offers you can see in his play that he is still too raw. He tries to shoot whenever he has the time and space rather than thread a through ball. He's probably the best in the team at driving into spaces in our midfield. Well between him and Sterling anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest