The Student Room Group

Tips for third year

Transitioning to clinical years seems like a big change.

Although the transition will vary between medical schools, hospitals, students, I imagine there are broad similarities in experience - so do you have any essential survival tips? Things you had to do differently? General advice?

Read up before you start your rotation; you get more out of it that way. So much more.

Better still, read up on whatever cases you see right there and then (carry your Cheese and Onion in your bag/pocket) or as soon as you get home. It''s more likely to be retained that way.

Ask questions. Be inquisitive. Don't just drag your feet and trail at the back of the ward round. Obviously, ask questions at the right time though.

Spend time on the wards; you will be surprised how much you learn and remember just by being there

Search the hospital wards for clinical signs (even wards you are not assigned to). You may never hear that murmur/see that rare case ever again!

Make it clear to your supervisor/assessor what your learning outcomes are and if there are specific things that your medical school requires you to get signed off. Get this done early on in the firm to save you any hassle.

Balance ward work with book work; you still have to pass your written exams too.

Read up on patients you meet on the ward/in clinic. Flick through notes to see how they were managed during their stay. You'll learn more that way.

Ask to clerk and present in clinics. Sitting there watching someone else do it can be so dull after a while. Good learning experience, but can get boring.

Pop down to A&E if you really want to get some practice with your history taking/presenting/practical skills. Make sure you are supervised with the practical skills you are not confident doing alone.

Get confident at thinking about how you would manage common presentations in A&E/on the ward. In my experience, the best way is to just see it being done at least once in A&E or the ward.

Follow patients up! From A&E to ward, and if applicable, from ward to tertiary centre etc.

Do the odd on-call if you have a particularly keen junior doctor/mentor. You can learn a lot from them (and since they were students not too long ago, it can actually be a great learning experience)

If you are a budding surgeon (or just plain keen), stay late on your surgical rotation; you may get the opportunity to assist the Reg with some hernia repairs etc.

If nothing is happening on the ward, do not hesitate to leave. Seriously. Despite what people say, you do not need to be in from 9-5 every single day (bar some busy rotations where you may have to...O&G/some Care of the Elderly wards/A&E etc. spring to mind).

Thanks, I guess it depends on site and clinicians - I didn't want to seem over-pushy but also don't want to miss out.
Original post by Medicine Man

Read up before you start your rotation; you get more out of it that way. So much more.

Better still, read up on whatever cases you see right there and then (carry your Cheese and Onion in your bag/pocket) or as soon as you get home. It''s more likely to be retained that way.

Ask questions. Be inquisitive. Don't just drag your feet and trail at the back of the ward round. Obviously, ask questions at the right time though.

Spend time on the wards; you will be surprised how much you learn and remember just by being there

Search the hospital wards for clinical signs (even wards you are not assigned to). You may never hear that murmur/see that rare case ever again!

Make it clear to your supervisor/assessor what your learning outcomes are and if there are specific things that your medical school requires you to get signed off. Get this done early on in the firm to save you any hassle.

Balance ward work with book work; you still have to pass your written exams too.

Read up on patients you meet on the ward/in clinic. Flick through notes to see how they were managed during their stay. You'll learn more that way.

Ask to clerk and present in clinics. Sitting there watching someone else do it can be so dull after a while. Good learning experience, but can get boring.

Pop down to A&E if you really want to get some practice with your history taking/presenting/practical skills. Make sure you are supervised with the practical skills you are not confident doing alone.

Get confident at thinking about how you would manage common presentations in A&E/on the ward. In my experience, the best way is to just see it being done at least once in A&E or the ward.

Follow patients up! From A&E to ward, and if applicable, from ward to tertiary centre etc.

Do the odd on-call if you have a particularly keen junior doctor/mentor. You can learn a lot from them (and since they were students not too long ago, it can actually be a great learning experience)

If you are a budding surgeon (or just plain keen), stay late on your surgical rotation; you may get the opportunity to assist the Reg with some hernia repairs etc.

If nothing is happening on the ward, do not hesitate to leave. Seriously. Despite what people say, you do not need to be in from 9-5 every single day (bar some busy rotations where you may have to...O&G/some Care of the Elderly wards/A&E etc. spring to mind).

I'm also going into clinics (if I pass my second year exams hah) so this thread is pretty useful for me too :smile: Thanks!
Reply 4
This thread is relevant to me, too. Since my clinical year starts at the beginning of September, I have pretty much 3 months free. What do people recommend that I should do to prepare for it? I was thinking of just briefly reading OHCM/Macleod's but I'm not sure whether it'd be a waste of time if I do read them. Any suggestions?
Original post by Panda89
This thread is relevant to me, too. Since my clinical year starts at the beginning of September, I have pretty much 3 months free. What do people recommend that I should do to prepare for it? I was thinking of just briefly reading OHCM/Macleod's but I'm not sure whether it'd be a waste of time if I do read them. Any suggestions?

Enjoy that summer holiday dude, it's the last long one you'll ever get.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending