The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

Managing Emotions and Expectations on Results Day

A Level results day can be one of the most daunting days of your school life, with it feeling like everything depends on this one moment in time, and that this one day will decide your future. Firstly, that’s not true. You are not defined by your grades. Secondly, here are a few tips from someone that has been there…

1. Stay Calm

It might sound like silly advice, but always try your best to stay calm. Go through your normal morning routine and try to stay as stress free as possible. Whilst it is almost inevitable as we all do it, try not to imagine the worst and assume that you have failed everything. You know deep down whether or not you truly did your best, and if you have, back yourself. Trust in your abilities.

2. Lean on Your Support Network

I have always found it really helpful to have close friends and/or family members with me on results day. Lean on those that you love the most. They will be there to help you celebrate the good, or help you work things out if you haven’t done as well as expected.

You can also speak to your School/College Careers Advisor or a trusted member of staff. They will often be well informed to guide you on your next steps, whether that’s with finding a new plan or celebrating your success. They will have dealt with tonnes of students in the same position as you before, so they will be best placed to help.

3. Have a Plan B

Sometimes, as was the case in my situation, results days don’t go quite right. You may drop a grade in a subject that you require for a conditional offer, for example, I missed the grades for my original firm choice of university, and in hindsight, I’m glad I did. I am a firm believer in the fact that everything happens for a reason, and I wouldn’t be where I am or the person that I am now without that little bump in the road. Dropping a grade in A Level Chemistry allowed me to go through Clearing at Swansea University, and I am now living my dreams. I had never considered a Plan B, but it is worth it to have one to make the aftermath of unexpected results a smoother process. I can truly, wholeheartedly, recommend going through Clearing at Swansea University.

Check out our other posts on Clearing and Foundation Years: Removing the Stigma,’ and Dealing with Rejection Top Tips for Clearing,’ for more tips and tricks.

I hope those tips help! Let us know if you have any questions.

Hope Henry Swansea Student Ambassador Third Year Graduate Entry Medicine.

Quick Reply

Latest