The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The 'easiness' of the job will depend on the school you work in. The role of a TA is very different in, say, a BESD school than a private school. There are also many different types of TA and some have HLTA (higher level teaching assistant) status.
Reply 2
Original post by Autistic Merit
The 'easiness' of the job will depend on the school you work in. The role of a TA is very different in, say, a BESD school than a private school. There are also many different types of TA and some have HLTA (higher level teaching assistant) status.

I am a Teaching Assistant, myself, so I am aware of these facts. I've just had a lot of people telling me that it's easy and not designed for people with degrees.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gem3012
I am a Teaching Assistant, myself, so I am aware of these facts. I've just had a lot of people telling me that it's easy and not designed for people with degrees.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Easy compared to being a teacher?

I suppose it is an easier job to get into in terms of qualifications required. Some of the TAs in my school (who sometimes sit in maths lessons) don't even have a C in maths. The other obvious factor is that you do not need to plan lessons so the job doesn't require as much work outside of lesson time.

One thing I will say, though, is that most TAs I know have very few (if any) free periods and some of them have to use up their lunch break to support in the SEN department; some students don't have a 'mainstream' lunch break and need looking after.

In my school, some of the students are also quite disrespectful to TAs and behave in a way towards them that they wouldn't dare do to a teacher.
Reply 4
Easy compared to being a teacher?

I suppose it is an easier job to get into in terms of qualifications required. Some of the TAs in my school (who sometimes sit in maths lessons) don't even have a C in maths. The other obvious factor is that you do not need to plan lessons so the job doesn't require as much work outside of lesson time.

One thing I will say, though, is that most TAs I know have very few (if any) free periods and some of them have to use up their lunch break to support in the SEN department; some students don't have a 'mainstream' lunch break and need looking after.

In my school, some of the students are also quite disrespectful to TAs and behave in a way towards them that they wouldn't dare do to a teacher.

I think it's harder than being a teacher, especially when a teacher hasn't differentiated the work at all.

I think it depends on the school, because at the school I work in, we all (the TAs) have degrees and are put into lessons according to our strengths. We also teach literacy groups, so we do have to lesson plan. We also have 1:1 lessons that we have to plan.

I agree, we do have very little time to do these things, so yes, we do have to do work outside of the working day.

I believe the reason that some students lash out at TAs is because they know they can because the TAs genuinely care and aren't going to give up on them as quickly as a teacher might...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gem3012

I believe the reason that some students lash out at TAs is because they know they can because the TAs genuinely care and aren't going to give up on them as quickly as a teacher might...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think in a lot of cases, sadly, it's because TAs can't give sanctions.
Reply 6
I think in a lot of cases, sadly, it's because TAs can't give sanctions.

We can at my school.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Don't think a TA is impressive at all and do think it's easy...

But that's my opinion can be completely wrong

Posted from TSR Mobile
I get the impression that a teacher could do the job of a teaching assistant, but a teaching assistant couldn't do the job of a teacher. So it'd be an easier job to become qualified for and carry out, relative to that of a teacher.
Reply 9
I've never really thought about it...I guess it might be that TAs are a bit like the nurses of the education world? Where people might think you're just a TA because you failed at teaching and that your job is very easy, when really you have a lot to do? Particularly as all the TAs at my school had to work with the kids that had special needs, even during break and lunch, so you're offering a level of support that most teachers don't bother with.

I have a friend who is a TA and all I know about her job is that she hates the teachers, and it takes her ages to finish work.
Reply 10
Original post by Trustno1
Don't think a TA is impressive at all and do think it's easy...

But that's my opinion can be completely wrong

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm asking for options, so that's fine. What makes you think that though?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by tazarooni89
I get the impression that a teacher could do the job of a teaching assistant, but a teaching assistant couldn't do the job of a teacher. So it'd be an easier job to become qualified for and carry out, relative to that of a teacher.

I teach but am not a qualified teacher, does that make my teaching any less important or difficult than a qualified teacher? All that means is that I haven't got my teaching qualification though, not that I don't have a degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by syrettd
I've never really thought about it...I guess it might be that TAs are a bit like the nurses of the education world? Where people might think you're just a TA because you failed at teaching and that your job is very easy, when really you have a lot to do? Particularly as all the TAs at my school had to work with the kids that had special needs, even during break and lunch, so you're offering a level of support that most teachers don't bother with.

I have a friend who is a TA and all I know about her job is that she hates the teachers, and it takes her ages to finish work.

I guess you're kind of right. But I'm not a TA coz I failed at becoming a teacher, I'm actually planning on going back to uni in 2015 to get my teaching qualification so that I can be a 'proper' teacher.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gem3012
I guess you're kind of right. But I'm not a TA coz I failed at becoming a teacher, I'm actually planning on going back to uni in 2015 to get my teaching qualification so that I can be a 'proper' teacher.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't personally believe TAs are failed teachers, I just think it's probably something a lot of people believe- like with nurses "being failed doctors".
Original post by Gem3012
I teach but am not a qualified teacher, does that make my teaching any less important or difficult than a qualified teacher? All that means is that I haven't got my teaching qualification though, not that I don't have a degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you're doing the same job as a qualified teacher would be doing, then no it doesn't make it less important or less difficult.
They are incredibly vital and teaching would be almost impossible without their hard work and dedication to the pupils.
Reply 16
Original post by myblueheaven339
They are incredibly vital and teaching would be almost impossible without their hard work and dedication to the pupils.

I would totally agree with you. I think sometimes the work done by TAs is even more integral than that of the teachers, on specific occasions, not all the time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by myblueheaven339

If they are incredibly vital, please explain how they did not exist until 20 years ago.
Reply 18
Original post by nulli tertius
If they are incredibly vital, please explain how they did not exist until 20 years ago.

Well, 20 years ago, people were not as aware of SEND students. So such students would have just been classified as 'stupid'. Now they have the opportunity, with TA help, to achieve the best that they can.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gem3012
Well, 20 years ago, people were not as aware of SEND students. So such students would have just been classified as 'stupid'. Now they have the opportunity, with TA help, to achieve the best that they can.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are a quarter of a million teaching assistants. How may kids with special needs are there?

Latest

Trending

Trending