The Student Room Group

No time to revise for C3 and C4.

I will only have enough time to revise for two days for each. I plan on watching maths videos for those two days and doing one paper for each exam. Is this good or bad revision?

Scroll to see replies

Doesn't sound good to me

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you don't know the content then obviously you'll need to learn it (through videos or textbooks), but if you already know the content, watching videos is bad preparation for maths exams imo.

The best way to prepare for a maths exam is to do papers.
Reply 3
Start doing past papers asap and by that I mean now or tomorrow or soon-ish. C3 and C4 are mostly about applying techniques so doing past papers help with that. It also highlights the little errors you may do when answering certain questions so that's also advantageous. Just do a paper each a day, if you reeeealllyy don't have the time.
Past papers are not enough. Despite the fact that exam questions might relate to past paper questions, exam boards have started initiating new styles in answering questions that requires original knowledge in content rather than the same old structure of previous questions, so basically questions coming in the exam will not be as easy as you expect like on past papers.

I suggest you go over the TOPICS that are covered in C34. For example Differentiation, simply google search revision notes on this topic, and master it. Then move on to the next topic ex. Integration and repeat over and over. Once you have covered every topic fully (which will depend on how many hours you are willing to commit to studying) then you could proceed to mixed exercises such as from Math textbooks, or solving the last questions of each past paper since they tend to hold the highest marks and are the ones in which students fail to comply with the most.

Goodluck brother.
Reply 5
Original post by Melon girl
I will only have enough time to revise for two days for each. I plan on watching maths videos for those two days and doing one paper for each exam. Is this good or bad revision?

The best way is to use Exam solutions the website, watch all of the videos. Then do 3 past papers on each one. 3 minimum. This is exactly what i did, was in your same position.
Reply 6
Original post by Lulu24
The best way is to use Exam solutions the website, watch all of the videos. Then do 3 past papers on each one. 3 minimum. This is exactly what i did, was in your same position.

What did you manage to get?
Reply 7
Original post by baderocks1
Past papers are not enough. Despite the fact that exam questions might relate to past paper questions, exam boards have started initiating new styles in answering questions that requires original knowledge in content rather than the same old structure of previous questions, so basically questions coming in the exam will not be as easy as you expect like on past papers.

I suggest you go over the TOPICS that are covered in C34. For example Differentiation, simply google search revision notes on this topic, and master it. Then move on to the next topic ex. Integration and repeat over and over. Once you have covered every topic fully (which will depend on how many hours you are willing to commit to studying) then you could proceed to mixed exercises such as from Math textbooks, or solving the last questions of each past paper since they tend to hold the highest marks and are the ones in which students fail to comply with the most.

Goodluck brother.

Thanks a lot! Im going to need the good luck at this rate *cries*
Depends on how much you already know. I'm not revising for C3 and C4 until after the 12th because then I'll have finished all my exams and only C3 and C4 will be left. That will be enough for me because I am already confident of everything I know. So really it depends on how much you already know. If you don't know enough, it won't be enough, so start earlier.
Reply 9
Original post by sasunerd
Start doing past papers asap and by that I mean now or tomorrow or soon-ish. C3 and C4 are mostly about applying techniques so doing past papers help with that. It also highlights the little errors you may do when answering certain questions so that's also advantageous. Just do a paper each a day, if you reeeealllyy don't have the time.

Ahhhhhhhhh how many past papers are good enough? All?
Original post by ThatPerson
If you don't know the content then obviously you'll need to learn it (through videos or textbooks), but if you already know the content, watching videos is bad preparation for maths exams imo.

The best way to prepare for a maths exam is to do papers.

Original post by gdunne42
Doesn't sound good to me

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is so hard for me guys..

Slip one paper in, a spot in each day. Because i know your not revising all day for your other exams ur taking breaks and wasting some time. So focus on slipping them in where u can.

Also maths videos such as examsolutions.net only help after you've struggled and exhausted your thoughts on the question.
Original post by AAA_
Slip one paper in, a spot in each day. Because i know your not revising all day for your other exams ur taking breaks and wasting some time. So focus on slipping them in where u can.

Also maths videos such as examsolutions.net only help after you've struggled and exhausted your thoughts on the question.

Thanks for the advice, that's very true..
If its Edexcel try using the gold/silver/bronze exam question selections to concentrate your practice on the appropriate level for your skill set and make sure you do the summer 2013 UK and international papers and the jan 2014 international papers. if you find weeknesses revise using text book or videos and do mixed exercise/chapter tests to experiment with a variety of question types.
This is so hard for me guys..

If you literally only have two days to revise the content and do a couple of papers, do all the Edexcel C3 & C4 Gold papers (There are 4 of each). These contain the hardest questions that have been set from previous years.
Original post by ThatPerson
If you literally only have two days to revise the content and do a couple of papers, do all the Edexcel C3 & C4 Gold papers (There are 4 of each). These contain the hardest questions that have been set from previous years.

Original post by gdunne42
If its Edexcel try using the gold/silver/bronze exam question selections to concentrate your practice on the appropriate level for your skill set and make sure you do the summer 2013 UK and international papers and the jan 2014 international papers. if you find weeknesses revise using text book or videos and do mixed exercise/chapter tests to experiment with a variety of question types.

Where are all the gold questions please?
Why do people wait for what they call "revision" to actually begin even learning the subject ?

On point: In two days you can do maybe 15 past papers. Get on it now.
Where are all the gold questions please?

See here.
Ahhhhhhhhh how many past papers are good enough? All?

If doing all of it wouldn't fit your time, just do enough so that you hardly make mistakes and know what to do if a foreign question comes up. Good luck!
Thanks for the advice, that's very true..

Howd it go?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending