CharlotteLouise95
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I want to apply for a course that will lead me into a primary teaching role! is education studies recommend for this or are there other/better choices?
KH94
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by CharlotteLouise95)
I want to apply for a course that will lead me into a primary teaching role! is education studies recommend for this or are there other/better choices?
I can help you with this.

Firstly you need to make sure you have the required GCSEs and A-levels. Then you need a good degree, at least half of which should be in a primary school subject. Once you have completed all of this you need to complete a 1 year PGCE Primary Education qualification.

Hope this helps. Quote me if you need any additional information.
CharlotteLouise95
Rep:
?
(Original post by KH94)
I can help you with this.

Firstly you need to make sure you have the required GCSEs and A-levels. Then you need a good degree, at least half of which should be in a primary school subject. Once you have completed all of this you need to complete a 1 year PGCE Primary Education qualification.

Hope this helps. Quote me if you need any additional information.
ah okay! so obviously the ages I want to teach are 5-7 year olds would you say I'm better off doing a early years/primary education course and then do the PGCE or do an education studies course and do the PGCE after that?
KH94
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
ah okay! so obviously the ages I want to teach are 5-7 year olds would you say I'm better off doing a early years/primary education course and then do the PGCE or do an education studies course and do the PGCE after that?
I would advise the primary education course, then PGCE. However it is possible to do a degree in any primary subject then do the PGCE. you do not require primary education or education studies.

What point are you at? Are you finishing A-levels and going to university in September?

Do you have the required grades at GCSE and A-level?

Which universities/courses are you looking at? You need to be aware courses can be very different from one university to the next.

Please provide further information and I will be happy to advise you further with a more considered response.
Barry2011
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
There are two routes to go into direct Primary teaching.

The first one is a Primary Education Batchelor of Education which is 3 years and means after the degree; You achieve QTS and you can teach in a Primary school.

The second option is a degree (in a curriculum subject preferrably) which lasts for 3 years usually but sometimes 4 and then a Primary PGCE for 1 year which means It's extremely hectic and stressful.

It's also much more competitive to get into a Primary PGCE but the 2nd option gives you more options If you decide to not go into Primary teaching but If you definitely want to be a Primary school teacher then I would go for Option 1.
CharlotteLouise95
Rep:
?
(Original post by KH94)

I would advise the primary education course, then PGCE. However it is possible to do a degree in any primary subject then do the PGCE. you do not require primary education or education studies.

What point are you at? Are you finishing A-levels and going to university in September?

Do you have the required grades at GCSE and A-level?

Which universities/courses are you looking at? You need to be aware courses can be very different from one university to the next.

Please provide further information and I will be happy to advise you further with a more considered response.
I finished my a levels last year, and I am currently on my gap year (I decided very late that I did want to go to univeristy) and am applying for entry this September!

The universities I am looking at are Anglia Ruskin, Bath Spa, London South Bank, London Met and University of Hull - all of which I am looking at various Early Years Teaching courses!
KH94
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I finished my a levels last year, and I am currently on my gap year (I decided very late that I did want to go to univeristy) and am applying for entry this September!

The universities I am looking at are Anglia Ruskin, Bath Spa, London South Bank, London Met and University of Hull - all of which I am looking at various Early Years Teaching courses!
Ok. As Barry (5th post) said there a 2 options into Primary teaching. It is also very true that the PGCE is a very competitive course. As Barry points out Option 1 in his post limits you to a career in teaching (you can, I believe, switch to secondary if you want at a later time), many teachers I have spoken to in secondary regretted studying education degrees as it makes a career change rather difficult. You may be sure you want to be a teacher now, but are you 100% you want to be a teacher until you retire?

I agree with Barry completely. I would personally go with a National Curriculum subject degree, then do the 1 year PGCE. I had intended to be a teacher, and that was the route I would have taken. My reason is that, as a teacher once told me, once you have an education degree you are limited to that career, whereas any other degree will help you enter a range of careers. A degree he said should have flexibility, so that the degree is worthwhile in the long-term no matter what you go on to do.

In conclusion, it is up to you which route you take, but I encourage you to gain as much experience as you can in a primary classroom setting and seek advice before you decide.

Hope this helps.

claretmad
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Have you sat and passed the DfE professional skills tests yet? These are an ITT course pre-entry requirement now as you won't get on a course without passing them. Best check with the above institutions when their cut-off dates are as this may limit your options for September 2014.
CharlotteLouise95
Rep:
?
(Original post by claretmad)
Have you sat and passed the DfE professional skills tests yet? These are an ITT course pre-entry requirement now as you won't get on a course without passing them. Best check with the above institutions when their cut-off dates are as this may limit your options for September 2014.
The ones that I am looking at do not lead to qts and would require me to do a pgce to do so - none of these have mentioned a skills test?
claretmad
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The ones that I am looking at do not lead to qts and would require me to do a pgce to do so - none of these have mentioned a skills test?
OK, I see. You only need to pass these tests to get a place on an ITT course so you would only need to pass them before you did your PGCE to gain QTS.
Charlotteyy
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm going to be studying early years education and then hopefully a pgce after! I think that's the best route as then you aren't always going to have a carer just with a teaching degree as you have the childcare degree and there are many options you can go to from having it x
CharlotteLouise95
Rep:
?
(Original post by Charlotteyy)
I'm going to be studying early years education and then hopefully a pgce after! I think that's the best route as then you aren't always going to have a carer just with a teaching degree as you have the childcare degree and there are many options you can go to from having it x
Yeah that's what I thought! Where are you going to be studying? X
Charlotteyy
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yeah that's what I thought! Where are you going to be studying? X
I'm going to bedford uni, where are you going to be studying? X
CharlotteLouise95
Rep:
?
(Original post by Charlotteyy)
I'm going to bedford uni, where are you going to be studying? X
I only set my application on Tuesday haha! I've had offers from London South Bank and Anglia Ruskin but just waiting on the others now! x
Charlotteyy
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I only set my application on Tuesday haha! I've had offers from London South Bank and Anglia Ruskin but just waiting on the others now! x
Oh really haha I only sent mine off a couple of weeks ago! I was like you and decided last minute I wanted to go lol x
moose12
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Barry2011)
There are two routes to go into direct Primary teaching.

The first one is a Primary Education Batchelor of Education which is 3 years and means after the degree; You achieve QTS and you can teach in a Primary school.

The second option is a degree (in a curriculum subject preferrably) which lasts for 3 years usually but sometimes 4 and then a Primary PGCE for 1 year which means It's extremely hectic and stressful.

It's also much more competitive to get into a Primary PGCE but the 2nd option gives you more options If you decide to not go into Primary teaching but If you definitely want to be a Primary school teacher then I would go for Option 1.
I am doing ba[hons] in education. The primary with the qts is an alternative but you still have to do a qualifying year in a mainstream school to teach. You could do the primary degree with qts and work in any private school or language school however.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (91)
27.91%
No - I have already returned home (43)
13.19%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (62)
19.02%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (32)
9.82%
No - I live at home during term anyway (98)
30.06%

Watched Threads