The Student Room Group

Special support element for part-time students who are entitled to benefits

Hello, I wish to study a BSc in psychology as a second degree part-time, I understand that I will be entitled to maintenance loan dependent upon the intensity of the course however I am entitled to universal credit also as I am a single mother. When studying a full-time course part of my maintenance loan (special support element) was disregarded by universal credit - will I be entitled to the special support element as a part time student and will I be eligible for the parents learners allowance as a part-time student?
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Sjay82
Hello, I wish to study a BSc in psychology as a second degree part-time, I understand that I will be entitled to maintenance loan dependent upon the intensity of the course however I am entitled to universal credit also as I am a single mother. When studying a full-time course part of my maintenance loan (special support element) was disregarded by universal credit - will I be entitled to the special support element as a part time student and will I be eligible for the parents learners allowance as a part-time student?

Hi Sjay,

You would not be eligible for the Special Support Loan for a Part-Time course. You can only be eligible for it if it is a Full-Time course.

Thanks, Drew
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply. So in that case will the total amount received for maintenance loan be considered by universal credit as income? None will be disregarded?
Original post by Sjay82
Thanks for the reply. So in that case will the total amount received for maintenance loan be considered by universal credit as income? None will be disregarded?

Hi Sjay,

You would need to speak to Universal Credit in regards to this.

Thanks, Drew
Reply 4
Hello, I found this document from Slc online https://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/media/1984/support-for-pt-students-2324-england-v10-final.pdf on page 34-36 it gives examples of 23/24 part students getting a percentage of the special support elements based on the intensity of study
Original post by Sjay82
Hello, I found this document from Slc online https://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/media/1984/support-for-pt-students-2324-england-v10-final.pdf on page 34-36 it gives examples of 23/24 part students getting a percentage of the special support elements based on the intensity of study

Hi Sjay,

We are unable to click onto links but I can confirm you are not eligible for the Special Support Loan for a Part-Time course.

Thanks, Drew
Reply 6
Original post by Drew SLC
Hi Sjay,

You would not be eligible for the Special Support Loan for a Part-Time course. You can only be eligible for it if it is a Full-Time course.

Thanks, Drew

Really strange, and a shame you are unable to click on the document as it’s an official document from SLC. Page 23 which refers to ‘financial assessment of PTML (student starts a course on or after 1 August 2018) states “PT students who are eligible for benefits have part of their PTML disregarded by the DWP as student income for maintenance when their benefits are calculated. This is the special support element (SSE) referred to in regulation 157G(3) of the student support regulations. The SSE at the 100% FTE rate in AY 20/21 is £3,893. The amount of SSE will depend on the students intensity of study”
I know we are no longer in AY 20/21 but it was the most academic year guidance I could find. Perhaps it’s changed but some universities are advertising to students this information.
Original post by Sjay82
Really strange, and a shame you are unable to click on the document as it’s an official document from SLC. Page 23 which refers to ‘financial assessment of PTML (student starts a course on or after 1 August 2018) states “PT students who are eligible for benefits have part of their PTML disregarded by the DWP as student income for maintenance when their benefits are calculated. This is the special support element (SSE) referred to in regulation 157G(3) of the student support regulations. The SSE at the 100% FTE rate in AY 20/21 is £3,893. The amount of SSE will depend on the students intensity of study”
I know we are no longer in AY 20/21 but it was the most academic year guidance I could find. Perhaps it’s changed but some universities are advertising to students this information.

Hi there,

If you want to discuss this further you can call us on 0300 100 0607 but the advice given from Drew is correct. Thanks, Jason
Reply 8
Original post by SFE Jason
Hi there,

If you want to discuss this further you can call us on 0300 100 0607 but the advice given from Drew is correct. Thanks, Jason

Dear Drew/Jason,

Thanks for the advice to call, I called the number on the guidance 0300 100 0618 and was advised that as per the guidance PT students are in fact entitled to SSE. Please please have a look at the guidance yourself or call the number to speak to your colleagues in the SFE practitioners support team or email them at [email protected] to confirm this information then perhaps come back here and post your findings as this will help many students in the future.
Original post by Sjay82
Dear Drew/Jason,

Thanks for the advice to call, I called the number on the guidance 0300 100 0618 and was advised that as per the guidance PT students are in fact entitled to SSE. Please please have a look at the guidance yourself or call the number to speak to your colleagues in the SFE practitioners support team or email them at [email protected] to confirm this information then perhaps come back here and post your findings as this will help many students in the future.

Hi there,

Thanks for your response. They would need to contact our helpline directly for any queries relating to this. But the information is correct should you be doing a part time course. Thanks, Jason
Reply 10
Hi there,

Thanks for your response. They would need to contact our helpline directly for any queries relating to this. But the information is correct should you be doing a part time course. Thanks, Jason

Hi Jason, I’m not sure of your reluctance to double check with your colleagues as I don’t thinks it’s fair or professional to leave incorrect information on here that would be misleading to other students. You can simple refer to the official SLC ‘support for part-time students - higher education student finance England Academic Year 23/24 version 1.0 June 2023’ page 22 to confirm this information or simply speak with your colleagues as I really think this issue needs to be corrected publicly. Universities are advertising this information that part time students on benefits will be eligible for SSE and I questioned those uni’s based on the information you originally provided even though those uni’s were in fact correct. Students come to this website for information so I do think it’s important that the information is correct. Please check your information.
Original post by Sjay82
Hi Jason, I’m not sure of your reluctance to double check with your colleagues as I don’t thinks it’s fair or professional to leave incorrect information on here that would be misleading to other students. You can simple refer to the official SLC ‘support for part-time students - higher education student finance England Academic Year 23/24 version 1.0 June 2023’ page 22 to confirm this information or simply speak with your colleagues as I really think this issue needs to be corrected publicly. Universities are advertising this information that part time students on benefits will be eligible for SSE and I questioned those uni’s based on the information you originally provided even though those uni’s were in fact correct. Students come to this website for information so I do think it’s important that the information is correct. Please check your information.

Hi Sjay,

I think there is some confusion here so let me clear this up.

The Special Support Loan (SSL) and Special Support Element (SSE) are different. The SSL, you are not eligible for as a Part Time student. This loan is given above your normal Maintenance Loan amount and is available for Full Time students only.

Part Time students who are eligible for benefits can have a part of their Maintenance Loan disregarded by DWP when benefits are calculated. This is what we refer to as SSE of Maintenance Loan and will depend on your intensity of study. I hope this makes sense and sorry for the mix up previously. Regarding your second degree, if you can confirm the university and course we can check eligibility for this. Thanks, Jason
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 12
Hi Sjay,

I think there is some confusion here so let me clear this up.

The Special Support Loan (SSL) and Special Support Element (SSE) are different. The SSL, you are not eligible for as a Part Time student. This loan is given above your normal Maintenance Loan amount and is available for Full Time students only.

Part Time students who are eligible for benefits can have a part of their Maintenance Loan disregarded by DWP when benefits are calculated. This is what we refer to as SSE of Maintenance Loan and will depend on your intensity of study. I hope this makes sense and sorry for the mix up previously. Regarding your second degree, if you can confirm the university and course we can check eligibility for this. Thanks, Jason

Hi Jason, thanks very much for clearing this up. I only ever referred to the special support element SSE as I know nothing about the special support loan. I’m sure this information will be useful to others. Thanks again.
Original post by Sjay82
Hi Jason, thanks very much for clearing this up. I only ever referred to the special support element SSE as I know nothing about the special support loan. I’m sure this information will be useful to others. Thanks again.

You're welcome and sorry again. I'm not sure if you seen my previous message (I had edited it after I sent it), but we would need to check your university and the course you're studying to determine if you are eligible. Can you also confirm what qualifications you previously hold as well? Thanks, Jason
Reply 14
You're welcome and sorry again. I'm not sure if you seen my previous message (I had edited it after I sent it), but we would need to check your university and the course you're studying to determine if you are eligible. Can you also confirm what qualifications you previously hold as well? Thanks, Jason

Thanks, I’ve already checked all this. It’s a BSc Psychology which is a part-time exception course.
Original post by Sjay82
Thanks, I’ve already checked all this. It’s a BSc Psychology which is a part-time exception course.

Thanks for your response.

Are you able to provide the full course name and university? Just so we can confirm the course attracts maintenance loan and is listed as exception with us. Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending