The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lou1411
I think that from that ^^ we can draw that it is difficult to compare players that have both been successful. Both Viera and Scholes achieved wonderful things with their clubs during this time period, but they both played very different styles of football.

I don't recall Zidane, Messi, Pele, Xavi, Henry, Figo, Fabregas, and Ronaldo all praising Vieira for his brilliance

"The player in the Premiership I admire most? Easy Scholes."
- Patrick Viera

:smile:
Original post by manchesterunited15
Ronaldo won a Ballon D'or, Henry didn't. He also scored more in a season than Henry ever did despite not being a striker.

Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez scored more goals than Henry, Bergkamp and Pires, and won a Champions League. As I said to someone else, you're overrating the Arsenal lot because they played pretty football.

The ballon d'or is stupid at times. Michael Owen won one ffs. Henry deserved it in 2004 and 2006. The golden bpl trophy was awarded to the Invincibles for a reason. At the end of the day, we Arsenal fans will label them the best bpl side whilst chelsea will point to ther record points team and united fans to ther 07-08 team maybe.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lou1411
Yes, but we're not talking about Cantona, we are talking about Tevez. Tevez didn't call his manager a bag of ****, the reason he was dropped from the Argentina squad is because Sabella had to make the decision to take Messi or take Tevez, as the two didn't get on. If Tevez was, as you suggest, the legend that Henry was - he wouldn't have been dropped for that reason.

Lol Messi would've been taken over Henry as well
Lol Messi would've been taken over Henry as well

I don't doubt that for one moment
Original post by ArsenalWenger
The ballon d'or is stupid at times. Michael Owen won one ffs. Henry deserved it in 2004 and 2006. The golden bpl trophy was awarded to the Invincibles for a reason. At the end of the day, we Arsenal fans will label them the best bpl side whilst chelsea will point to ther record points team and united fans to ther 07-08 team maybe.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The golden trophy isn't a reason. They gave it because there's something concrete, you can say "they didn't lose a game all season". But you can't say the same thing for Chelsea, because when do you give the golden trophy for points? 90? 92? It would just be arbitrary.

And that's all it is, it sounds good to say you were "invincible". But it doesn't even mean anything, you could be invincible and get relegated. What matters is winning games and getting points. And Chelsea did that more.
Original post by lou1411
I don't doubt that for one moment

So even if Tevez was "the legend that Henry was", he still wouldn't have been taken
So even if Tevez was "the legend that Henry was", he still wouldn't have been taken

Purely theoretical. Thierry wasn't a trouble maker - and is definitely better than Aguero and Higuain, so would have been taken over them.
Original post by lou1411
Purely theoretical. Thierry wasn't a trouble maker - and is definitely better than Aguero and Higuain, so would have been taken over them.

This is a stupid discussion, because no one thinks Tevez was better than Henry, and no one has said they do.
Reply 108
I don't recall Zidane, Messi, Pele, Xavi, Henry, Figo, Fabregas, and Ronaldo all praising Vieira for his brilliance

"The player in the Premiership I admire most? Easy Scholes."
- Patrick Viera

:smile:

Nonsense. Keane is who Vieira admires the most.

Made up quote is made up.
Original post by 419
Nonsense. Keane is who Vieira admires the most.

Made up quote is made up.

It's mentioned in a load of places but possibly made up yes

This one by Petit seems to be real though

at Arsenal me and Patrick Vieira didn't want to face Scholes. We would avoid him
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by EmperorMustard
That Chelsea team will never be revered as much as Arsenal to be honest, there was no romance to it. Chelsea was like a machine...efficient and ruthless but tinged with evil. Kind of like 1974 West Germany. Nobody liked them, nobody wanted them to win. Even 1974 Netherlands are admired more than the team they lost to in the final. Football for fans isn't just about winning, it's about capturing the imagination. Maybe it doesn't make them the best, but they'll be remembered and they will inspire. Of course, people love a glorious loser, opium for the masses, and that may have helped the Netherlands legacy in a strange way.

Arsenal were more like 70's Brazil. Played a distinct attacking brand of football, took risks and were loved for it. They had individual brilliance in abundance. Couldn't be more different from Chelsea really, who were a system team. I know who I'd pay to watch, I know which group of players will be remembered in the future more. I think Chelsea were better at winning but will be largely forgotten in time, like a very fast car that's made of plastic. Unfortunate if you're in the minority who prefer defensive football, but that's the reality - it just wasn't as nice to look at.

Arsenal 03-04, plays attacking football scores 73 goals
Chelsea 04-05 plays defensive football scores 72 goals

Yep that makes sense doesn't it :rolleyes:

We scored 1 less goal than Arsenal's invincibles and had a better goal difference by about 10. I think you're overstating how attacking Arsenal were. Arguably more ambitious than Chelsea, but they weren't as gung-ho as you say. conceding only 26 goals.

Yes Arsenal may have been better to watch, but to simply call us a system team is a joke. We had the best keeper and best defence in the league, which was partially down to individual brilliance.

Makelele, Lampard and Arjen Robben were all individually brilliant players, while Drogba was a pretty damn good striker. Joe Cole would add his own bit of wizardry (goal vs United April '06) The season after where we had Drogba and Crespo was pretty beastly. Crespo was easily one of the best finishers around.

To say we were just playing a good system is undermining the game of football. It's a team game more than it is about individual brilliance. Our team was different. Defensive teams don't go to Anfield and win 4-1, or go to Highbury and win 2-0, or better yet get a 3-1 win at Old Trafford. There was even that 4-2 cracker against Barcelona.

In 04-05 and 05-06, we were defensively solid. We were punishing on the counter-attack with Robben and had Lampard and Drogba providing the main goal threats. We became "boring" from 2006/07-10. Robben was a peripheral figure/sold and we had to rely on physical play/long balls with the likes of Ballack, Essien, Lampard and Drogba. That era lasted until 2012 with the Champions League win. Because we were "boring" from 06/07, people overlook the fact that we weren't that bad to watch when we won our first 2 titles imo
Original post by Wilfred Little
Cantona was a legend and was dropped from the France team for calling the manager a bag of ****.

Your post makes no sense.

That manager left the position soon afterwards, subsequent managers didnt pick Cantona either...

Cantona did well domestically in an era when Utd were far ahead of the rest. Whilst he is before my time in truth, speak to most neutrals and they'll say that he was not an exceptional player and is remembered mainly as the first marketed star of the PL era and because of his personal charisma
Original post by Zürich
That manager left the position soon afterwards, subsequent managers didnt pick Cantona either...

Cantona did well domestically in an era when Utd were far ahead of the rest. Whilst he is before my time in truth, speak to most neutrals and they'll say that he was not an exceptional player and is remembered mainly as the first marketed star of the PL era and because of his personal charisma

Same way Nasri didn't get picked for this world cup despite having a great season.
Original post by Khallil
I didn't notice this post. Sorry for the late reply!

Bayern had the better season of course, but I was arguing for Arsenal to be somewhere near the top of the list as they had an extraordinary season. They had the likes of the team in the image below and they played beautiful football that nobody else could replicate, going unbeaten for a whole season.

The Juve team doesn't come close to the likes of this team. Yes, they may have done very well in the cups of that year, but it doesn't mean their season was better than Arsenal's or Bayern's. It's like Manchester United's UCL win in 1999. They won by set pieces. Nobody remembers Stoke's successful campaign in the Premier League when they abused Rory Delap's throw-ins and rightly so.

So Bayern had the better season in the league then?
So would Real Madrid's 11-12 season be better than Arsenal's and if that is the case, why isn't Chelsea's either. Could easily argue Juve's season now getting 102 points was better than the invincibles. They dropped 12 points in a 38 game season.

What is the beautiful football, does the aesthetics of the football have to do with how good a club team is? Are Swansea better than Atlético Madrid?

Defensively Juve are probably better, Midfield it's close tbh but you're better. Strikers you're obviously better there.
Original post by ArsenalWenger

Posted from TSR Mobile

Meh.

Owen just sounds stupid now.

Guy was a beast at the time.
- United in 1999
- Milan in 02-07
- Barcelona in 07-10
- Arsenal 2004
- Real Madrid 00-03
The Milan team from 2002-2007 was my favorite team to watch. The quality they had at their disposal was unbelievable. Power, flair, chemistry, depth... the team had everything. Obviously underachieved domestically but that's more of a testament to how strong Italian football was back then.

The greatest part about this team was their ability to deploy so many creative midfielders behind Shevchenko/Inzaghi/Crespo. Rui Costa, Seedorf, and Kaka were all traditional no. 10s, and the key link was Pirlo who was transformed from a no. 10 to a deep lying play-maker. I don't think I've seen a team like this ever since.
Original post by Zürich
and Leeds United once were top of a calender year table in 2000? Nobody cares.

Van Nistelrooy missed a penalty, then again had Rooney not cheated us in the 50th game then we may well have made 60 so it's all swings and roundabouts really. End of the day, if you are unbeaten over a season and then some, then it cant be luck.

What you need to remember is that when you're on an unbeaten season run, every team in the land wants to be the team that ends it, other teams up their games. Whereas other teams couldnt have cared less about Chelsea's 39 games.

I love it when we bring up the old Rooney cheated us out of the run conveniently forgetting pires cheating is what got us the run in the first place
Reply 118
Barcelona 2010/2011

Bayern Munich 2012/13

Barcelona 2008/09

Real Madrid 2011/12 (they're underrated imo)

Barcelona 2005/06
(edited 9 years ago)
Barca 08-11
Bayern 12-14
Real Madrid 00-02
AC Milan 03-07
Man United 07-09

Latest