The Student Room Group

C3 Solomon Paper Question

I am doing Solomon Paper A and am stuck on 7.a)i)
Show that
sin (x + 30)° + sin (x 30)° a sin x°,
where a is a constant to be found.
I have managed to get to 2sinxcos30 but I don't know where to go from here, looking at the mark scheme hasn't helped, all I know is that it should end up as root 3 sin x
Reply 1
cos 30 = (root 3)/2
Therefore when multiplied by two it equals just root three = a
Reply 2
Thank you, another question I need to do a polynomial division of (x^4+x^3-5x^2-9)/(x^2+x-6) I ultimately need to do a partial fraction but first I need to divide and I am stumped
Reply 3
Thank you, another question I need to do a polynomial division of (x^4+x^3-5x^2-9)/(x^2+x-6) I ultimately need to do a partial fraction but first I need to divide and I am stumped
Reply 4
Original post by PF37

Just imagine you're doing a normal numeric long division and start with the basics.

How many "times" does x^2 go into x^4?
Original post by PF37

You do not need to divide at all

x4+x35x29x2+x6=x2+Ax+B+Cx+3+Dx2\dfrac{x^4+x^3-5x^2-9}{x^2+x-6} = x^2 + Ax + B + \dfrac{C}{x+3} + \dfrac{D}{x-2}

You just do partial fractions
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Could you explain it step by step please
Original post by PF37
Could you explain it step by step please

I assume (given you did not use the quote facility) that you are talking to me

What do you want me to explain
Reply 8
anyone really, the question is f(x) = (x^4+x^3-5x^2-9)/(x^2+x-6)
(a) Using algebraic division, show that
f(x) = x^2 + A + B/(x+c),
where A, B and C are integers to be found.
I really struggle when you have to do polynomial division with anything more that x^2 + c
Original post by PF37

I really struggle when you have to do polynomial division with anything more that x^2 + c

You really need to ask a teacher that can sit with you - this is a topic that needs step by step discussion and cannot easily be explained on a forum

There are some exam solutions and youtube videos that you could watch
Reply 10
Original post by PF37
anyone really, the question is f(x) = (x^4+x^3-5x^2-9)/(x^2+x-6)
(a) Using algebraic division, show that
f(x) = x^2 + A + B/(x+c),
where A, B and C are integers to be found.

You haven't shown us any attempted working yet!

As I asked earlier, how many "times" does x^2 go into x^4?
Reply 11
Original post by davros
As I asked earlier, how many "times" does x^2 go into x^4?

x^2 times, i can do the simple ones just not these complex ones
Reply 12
Original post by PF37
x^2 times, i can do the simple ones just not these complex ones

Same principle!

You can write down x^2 straight away, then multiply x^2 into x^2 + x - 6, subtract the result from the original quartic polynomial and write down the next partial result in the process.

Quick Reply

Latest