The Student Room Group

Confused Soul :(

Hi, I am currently taking Psychology as an A-Level and finished AS (waiting for results day! :O..) I am aiming for an A. However I have been confused whether I should study Psychology as an degree. I just wanted to know how psychology is like in Uni? I heard the degree is maths and science based, I am not that good in maths or science.Also I wanted to know is it a big jump from Psychology A level to Psychology degree? Meaning how hard does it get?

Please Help!
Really confused :frown:
Sorry for asking so many questions :frown:
Thankyou
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Reply 2
Original post by AKGgirl
Hi, I am currently taking Psychology as an A-Level and finished AS (waiting for results day! :O..) I am aiming for an A. However I have been confused whether I should study Psychology as an degree. I just wanted to know how psychology is like in Uni? I heard the degree is maths and science based, I am not that good in maths or science.Also I wanted to know is it a big jump from Psychology A level to Psychology degree? Meaning how hard does it get?

Please Help!
Thankyou

Hi there! I just finished my first year of a psychology degree. There is a fair bit of statistics and it can get quite biological however once you get through your core modules and understand your basic stats you can leave the science and maths behind and move into other areas of psychology such as counselling or social psychology. :smile:
I honestly found my first year of degree easier than A Levels! I got a C at OCR A Level psychology but have just got a first overall from my first year exams so I really wouldn't worry about the jump. You'll be fine so long as you don't slack off.
Feel free to message me if you have anymore questions. :smile:
Original post by AKGgirl

Please Help!
Thankyou

Well there is a basic level of maths and biology that needs to be covered... but its generally not too much. Psychology at uni is generally "scientific" (i.e. focusing on empirical research), like A Level Psychology, however depending on your degree you can generally opt to do fewer biological modules and more social ones if you are so inclined.
Reply 4
Psychology is a science so you can't really get away from that.

Yes there are more and less scientific topics but in general it's always investigative about the natural world thus you have to have an appreciation and understanding of scientific thought. From my understanding, applications of psychology such as counseling and similar tend to come from post-graduate study not from UG Psych.

Either way. Just check out the course contents/options at a load of unis and you'll get a much better understanding of what to expect.
Reply 5
Thank you for the replies! Makes me more confident! Thanks Again :smile:
Reply 6
Just to reassure you more, I failed maths at school (got Standard Grade but never managed to get Higher) so when I started my psych degree I was terrified at the thought of statistics, but it honestly is not as scary as it looks and there are soooo many different resources online to guide you through anything in particular you can't get your head around. I got an A for my Psychology higher so I was determined I could manage it at degree level and after 4 years that's me got it! If you are interested in it then definitely go for it :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Missxo
Just to reassure you more, I failed maths at school (got Standard Grade but never managed to get Higher) so when I started my psych degree I was terrified at the thought of statistics, but it honestly is not as scary as it looks and there are soooo many different resources online to guide you through anything in particular you can't get your head around. I got an A for my Psychology higher so I was determined I could manage it at degree level and after 4 years that's me got it! If you are interested in it then definitely go for it :smile:

I failed Maths at school too, and I am now paying a (non-financial) hefty price for it. :frown:
Reply 8
Original post by Missxo

Hey! Oh wow, I didn't fail my GCSE maths, I just don't really like maths lol. But Omg, I got an A in my AS for psychology, so I feel that I am more confident into actually applying for psychology degree! Thank you I will deffo look at those resources! :smile:,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending