The Student Room Group

Should I revise/ prepare myself for year 11 in the summer holiday?

Scroll to see replies

Don't revise all summer, but you might find it useful to organise your notes/work for each subject and make sure there's nothing missing and you know where everything is.
Don't revise if you don't need to, if you're currently working at an U/E grade then I'm sure some revision would help. Some people I know tried to revise during September/October and most of them found it a waste of time as you should probably only start revision from February earliest. Although if you are doing a language revising through apps daily can be very helpful as there is SO much vocab. If you are doing art make sure to complete EVERYTHING your teacher set for the summer (many people did nothing and ended up being behind for pretty much all of year 11). Apart from that just relax and enjoy summer :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's a good idea to make some revision notes or flashcards or something in advance so you can revise from them when exam time rolls around and not waste time making/writing them, but to be honest there's not much point revising in loads of detail because you still have ages and you'll forget it. If there's some things you don't understand from year 10 or don't know how to do I'd advise you to work out how to do it now so you don't have to learn it from scratch right before your exam and can just go over it to remind yourself. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I already started, so far its going great, just make sure you dont over do yourself, take breaks, and dont be afraid of missing one session and just pigging out on anything. If you feel as if you might end up stabbing a book, take a few days off, and do something fun.
My advice would be (and not just for GCSE but any course with a summer break really) would be to consolidate what you've learnt in the first year, and get some pre-reading in. When I was doing my GCSEs we weren't given our set texts in English until we were abut to start them, but for other subjects (Science, Business Studies, Maths) I'd read ahead a few chapters in the textbooks so that I'd be familiar with stuff before learning it. Not that a lot sinks in when your brain isn't in "School Mode" but at least you'll be slightly familiar with the stuff when you come to learn it properly.

And of course there's no harm in making use of BBC Bitesize for stuff you've already gone over in class.
Hi i am starting year 11 in september i dont now how to revise and put my head down because i have this one friend who is always talking polish to her friend who started in year 8 and it is not fair i said to her this when we start year 11 me and katie will not be with you everyday we will be doing revision all the time so please dont get mad and she is not answering and my other friend thinks it is rude to say that but it is true she is always talking polish please help me
Thanks
Shakella
I revised 1 day before my chemistry exam and got an A, do not prang out my g
Original post by Nadine_08
Who's done that before and was it useful? Or is it better to just relax and enjoy the stress-free time while I can?
BTW, all my exams are linear so I'll be doing them all at the end of year 11.

Update:
I have now finished my GCSEs so I don't need responses any more, thank you. Your responses may benefit others, though :smile:

Hi just check how long did you actually revise for and when did you start. Did you manage to get the grades you wanted?
Yesss!!!!!! That is so true. Started revising today. Obviously taking breaks and having nice days out. It's all about time management at the end of the day.
im revising and so far i would suggest to cover the content or the the topics you dont understand because it will come in the exams in year 11 and choose to do one week intense and the ome weeks relaxed what ever is flexible for you
Original post by Meggyyyyyy15
Yesss!!!!!! That is so true. Started revising today. Obviously taking breaks and having nice days out. It's all about time management at the end of the day.

how much revision are you doing
Enjoy your summer! Get outdoors and spend time with faintly is what I’m doing. I think maybe do I a bit of revision once a week is enough but not everyday just like and hour a week. It is the last school holiday your gonna get anyway!
Reply 72
Whenever I end up revising during the summer I make an enormous amount of cue cards, spend literally days making them while listening to poscasts, then lose motivation and don’t end up looking at them ever again. The result is that I usually waste a lot of time and get discouraged about the oncoming year. In my opinion, it’s always better to pursue extracurricular, athletic or just leisure activities during the summer. Maybe others are more capable of studying during the summer but I know that with me it’s impossible.
8 years damn

Quick Reply

Latest