Hello ,
I am starting IB this September with these subjects :
English literature HL
Biology HL
Chemistry HL
Maths SL
French Ab initio SL
Business and management SL
I went to a school which only offered 5 IGCSE subjects ( Chemistry , biology, English second language , physics and maths . ) and thus that's all I have for IGCSE's and I was wondering if that is okay ? I mean do you even need IGCSE's with IB or are they only for A level applicants ? I wish to apply for medicine as an international student .
You'll have to ask the universities but I think you'll be ok. I know people who didn't really have the ability to mention IGCSE level qualifications and just had the IB. However, it's not because of the power of the IB but the fact you're an international student so there are differences in education.
Hello! You'll definitely be okay with your IB subject combination to apply for medicine.
Universities will be looking at your IB score, particularly your Biology and Chemistry HL. Usually (at least for UK) the offer is based on your three HLs so do well for Lit as well!
I don't think they'll look at your IGCSE score at all actually.
Moreover, you mentioned that you took English and will be taking English Lit HL so you'll meet the English-speaking requirements of universities for international students.
All the best for your IB and eventual university applications!
Reply 3
Original post by Dandoona1998
Hello ,
I am starting IB this September with these subjects :
English literature HL
Biology HL
Chemistry HL
Maths SL
French Ab initio SL
Business and management SL
I went to a school which only offered 5 IGCSE subjects ( Chemistry , biology, English second language , physics and maths . ) and thus that's all I have for IGCSE's and I was wondering if that is okay ? I mean do you even need IGCSE's with IB or are they only for A level applicants ? I wish to apply for medicine as an international student .

The minimum requirements for all British universities is 5 I/GCSE which you've fulfilled so you shouldn't face any issues when applying to university. However you are required to get a minimum of B for english and maths - this a standard rule for most British universities. British universities are definitely going to take your IGCSE grades into consideration before rejecting you or giving you an offer since they are part of your high school academic record. Plus, i'd say for a course like medicine which is extremely competitive (even more so since your an international applicant) your IGCSE are going to carry a lot of weight since everyone who'll apply will have mostly a* and a few a's as well as excellent IB/a level predicted scores and grades.
Thanks for your help everyone :smile: . I really appreciate it . I don't think I got less than a B in anything and I definitely don't think I got less than an A in either chem or bio or english . I think math is between a B and an A and physics I don't even know ( maybe B if I'm lucky ) .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending