The Student Room Group

What should I do, I want to do computing but choose wrong subjects?

Hi guys, basically I'm having a panic attack because I choose ridicules A-Levels that don't actually go with what I want to do as a job (Software engineer or general IT consultancy). My AS-Levels at the moment are English Lit (Totally suck at it due to my teacher teaching us wrong structure lol), History, Politics and Classics. I feel as if my exams well (touch wood), therefore if I applied to university with these subjects would they take me seriously? I never took IT at GCSE due to it only being offered as a BTEC and my school was notorious for having bad teachers. At GCSE I got B in Maths and Statistics (I could've done better 5 marks off an A FML) and a C in science (however this is due to me totally bombing out on biology and the ISA I achieved a B in chemistry and physics).

Since going to AS I really miss doing something with a single answer that I can work out (if this makes sense). I'm considering doing a Gap Year with an intensive computing A-Level.

Also, I am doing an EPQ on the future for mobile phone development (e.g 3D screens etc etc) if anyone has an idea on what else I could consider for an EPQ it would be great!

The biggest problem is I have never done computing before, but I have scripted an add-on to a game I played (years ago) and it interests me to the max. I've even taken on building computers as a hobbie!

Thanks!
Reply 1
Most Computing and Computer Science courses require A levels in maths. The ones that don't require a B grade at GCSE which you seem to have obtained. Most Computing and Computer Science degrees at the low end, require a BBB which it doesn't sound like you have obtained. Your best option is to do a degree with a foundation year. This is just an extra year in University where they teach you some math and some programming.
(edited 9 years ago)
Do a third year. Maths and computing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by student261
Do a third year. Maths and computing

Posted from TSR Mobile

This. The whole of A2 maths, and AS computing if you can find a centre that offers it. Don't bother with IT, it doesn't mean a thing to universities for CompSci.
Well I had A-Levels in Law, History and Politics, and have worked as a Computer Technician since I was 17 (19 on my Gap Year now) and this March I changed from Law to Computer Systems Engineering because I knew I'd enjoy it and work with it much better.

I applied everywhere (mainly BBB places as per my A-Levels) for Computer Systems Engineering with a Foundation Year, and 4/5 places offered me a spot without the Foundation Year needed, the 5th gave me a spot with it (was the best Uni I applied to).

(I had an A* in IT at GCSE but I didn't think they took GSCEs seriously with Unis?)
To be honest, my advice is to apply anyway. You did maths and obtained a B which is all they really care about. The rest of your A-Levels aren't that important. IT at A-Level is pretty much useless anyways. I know a lot of people who have applied to courses with grades 2 notches lower than what was required and still got it. What all universities really want is your money. As long as you haven't completely failed EVERYTHING then you might as well still apply.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending