Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What career do you intend to go into and why?

Personally, my future is so unclear! I don't know what my dream job would be. Also, all of my ideas are so different to one another - it's not as if they are all from the same category (for example, if someone wanted to be either a GP, nurse or chemist), so this means that I don't know what subjects I want to study.

I'd like to know what careers you would like to go into and why. Maybe your reasoning would help me decide my possible pathway.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to work in something related to cosmology. Sadly, I realised this after doing a degree in linguistics, so I'm not sure that'll be possible. If you don't know, then don't rush into anything would be my advice. Well, don't rush into it when it involves sacrificing lots of time/money anyway.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Virology because I am fascinated by microbiology and by viruses in particular. I want to be involved in research in that field.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I want to be a teacher

ReputationRep:
    I wanna be a music producer. The reason is 'cos I really like making music haha. Obviously, gunna need some luck but hopefully I'll succeed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Marketing or journalism because there's no such thing as a "standard day in the office"

Lots of travelling and not being stuck in front of a computer the whole time - new cultures, people, languages, discoveries, way of thinking.

With either occupation, you'll be one of the first to get your hands on the latest technologies (be this phones, medical stuff, etc)

(And, I'm ashamed to say, marketing because you get a fair bit of money)

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to work with animals or in a cafe. Ideally I'd run my own petting zoo with a cafe and farm shop.

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping to go into accountancy but life is unpredictable so don't know.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by p.formanko)
    Marketing or journalism because there's no such thing as a "standard day in the office"

Lots of travelling and not being stuck in front of a computer the whole time - new cultures, people, languages, discoveries, way of thinking.

With either occupation, you'll be one of the first to get your hands on the latest technologies (be this phones, medical stuff, etc)

(And, I'm ashamed to say, marketing because you get a fair bit of money)
    I heard you don't get so much in marketing? Maybe I heard incorrectly aha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I also want to do Marketing and if not that, I guess being an entrepreneur is next. I like marketing because I genuinely find the analysis and creativity intriguing and as for being an entrepreneur, I like the idea of being able to set up my own business(es), materialising my ideas

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheVth)
    I heard you don't get so much in marketing? Maybe I heard incorrectly aha

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It depends on where you end up - I hear CEOs at places like red bull earn quite a hefty sum!

Being an entrepreneur is also on the list - for the same reasons as yours too. Having a small number of businesses which you've set up can be pretty rewarding

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by p.formanko)
    It depends on where you end up - I hear CEOs at places like red bull earn quite a hefty sum!

Being an entrepreneur is also on the list - for the same reasons as yours too. Having a small number of businesses which you've set up can be pretty rewarding
    Are you planning to do a marketing course @university, or do a business management with marketing?

I've already started talking to entrepreneurs from all over America for advice and all ^-^

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheVth)
    Are you planning to do a marketing course @university, or do a business management with marketing?

I've already started talking to entrepreneurs from all over America for advice and all ^-^

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hmm I'm not sure where you're from, but I'm from England where the most prestigious universities don't usually offer marketing courses - usually people do something loosely associated with marketing at university (a language, economics, I'm doing geography because it teaches tons of transferable skills) and then build their way up from there.

I did a "Young Enterprise" program at school but that's the furthest I've got

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kayleighisonfire)
    I want to be a teacher
    Me too.

Not going to happen though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KH94)
    Me too.

Not going to happen though
    Aww, if you don't mind me asking, why not?

ReputationRep:
    Aww, if you don't mind me asking, why not?
    Too much hard work, and it would take too long. I would love the job though.

ReputationRep:
    The dream job would be CEO of Google/Samsung/HTC/Sony etc - because technology is awesome. But hopefully my future job will be a teacher

ReputationRep:
    I want to be a teacher
    Nice! Primary or secondary school?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Neuropharmacologist - just so fascinating :ahee:
    I would love to go into research

ReputationRep:
    I could swear someone made an exact replica of this thread yesterday... Either way

Contract solicitor (I believe it's called) - law, but get to use languages yay

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.