Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I'm supposedly going to uni in September(If I get the grades) and I was wondering; does the course you study have any effect on your social level? i.e. if you do maths, engineering, science are you seen to be "nerdy" or what? Or do people not really care when it comes to this stuff? Just something I was interested about.

ReputationRep:
    I do Maths, and the general reaction to me telling people what I do is a bit like "Wow I couldn't do that!" but I don't think people really care that much. I wouldn't want people to see me as nerdy, I'm no genius!

ReputationRep:
    no people don't really care

ReputationRep:
    Nobody cares. Nobody will speak to you. You will sit in your room, ****ing and crying. They will sit in their rooms, ****ing and crying.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah once you get to uni most of the bull**** social status stuff goes away. So long as you get along well with other people and are sociable no one will give a **** what course you are doing.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt people would care. You'd expect people at uni to be more mature than that. The atmosphere at mine was far better than school or college.

ReputationRep:
    I expect all the school / college chewing gum chavs get filtered out before uni.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.