The Student Room Group

What's the best third HL for me?

I intend to study biochemistry/microbiology at uni level. Biology and Chemistry HL seems best. For my third one I'm thinking between Math (logic/analytical thinking) and Literature (English skills/essay writing). I'm thinking though that both are common combinations, and maybe I could stand out by taking a group 3 at HL? If so, which of history, geography or economics do you think goes best with my other HLs?

Thank you for your help :smile: I'm leaning towards Math really, but if it doesn't work out I need good backup!
Reply 1
Maths is definitely the best fit - science at university is very maths heavy, and so it's advisable to have as much experience as possible. If you enjoy literature, then it wouldn't be terrible to take it to HL, but SL is much more advisable. If you're looking at group 3, then really whichever of the 3 is of most interest to you is the best choice - students tend to do better if they find the subject interesting.
Reply 2
Maths higher level is probably the best option but since that combination is extremely hard taking English or a group 3 subject at higher level instead is a good idea.

If you want to maximise your overall score avoid higher level English since it's notoriously hard and marking is extremely subjective (quite risky). Choose the group 3 subject of your interest. History, however, is quite a bit harder than economics and geography so you might want to keep that in mind.

If you can stomach it, I'd stick with higher level maths since it'll be the most beneficial subject in the long run!
Reply 3
I agree with the above posters: go for Maths but only if you think you'll enjoy it and do well! You can always try HL maths for a while and then drop it to SL if it proves too tricky (I know someone who dropped down after a whole year, so you definitely have flexibility to shuffle your subjects round for a while). If you're not crazy about maths or haven't done so well in it in the past, I'd go for a group 3. As mentioned above, English HL is notoriously difficult to get a 7 or 6 in. However, if you like reading, go for it! I love it, but I'm definitely what you'd call a bookworm.

In terms of the group 3 subjects, I take history and can tell you it is quite difficult. Geography is generally considered easier but I know some people find learning all the case studies very stressful. Since you seem to be scientifically minded, I'd go for Eco as I've heard it's a lot of graph interpretation and the like.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending