The Student Room Group

Why do people still pay for music

Scroll to see replies

I listen to classical, all the artists are dead so I don't have to worry about them not being able buy Ferraris, unnecessarily big mansions and cocaine.
I'll pay for music of artists I like to support them in the charts and to add their latest album to my collection.

If prices of CDs were lowered, I'd probably buy even more. I still walk in HMV and think I'm not paying that much.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by just a dad
Talk me through how that works.

No-one pays anything for music, yet the artist is still able to run "3 private jets" in "semi-luxury".

Clearly I am missing something.

There is always money to be made! Beside merchandise, they would probably make their money through advertising. Endorsing brands etc - fans would then want to buy the stuff they are associated with. Just brainstorming here a little :P can't think of anything else right now!
BECAUSE OF DARUDE- SANDSTORM! Lol.
Original post by Jordooooom
Just a dad seems like a morally upright dick.

Love you too.
Original post by MrSupernova
It isn't quite the same as "theft" in the real world though - data isn't a finite resource like, say, a CD is

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you really suggesting that data cannot be stolen?
Because it's the right thing to do. I buy most of my music from iTunes.
I don't really pay for music unless it's more convenient for me to download it off itunes than it is for me to torrent it. The fact of the matter is that if there was no way for me to get music for free, I wouldn't bother with it. So for people to suggest that the record labels or artists are losing out is wrong. They haven't lost a sale from piracy because music is not important enough to me to go out of my way to pay for most of the time (I have several thousand songs on itunes as well so imagine all the money I would have spent on it). Music is a nice thing to have, but I wouldn't lose any sleep if I didn't have any songs on my phone.

The exception to this is any artist that I take a personal interest in, I buy their songs mainly because I like them as people.
Original post by K_o_46
The fact is that most artists make most of their money from things like concerts, endorsements and sponsorships with a minor amount from record sales. Therefore no record sales will not bankrupt the artist but just slightly decrease their revenue

It would be very helpful if someone could provide a list of artists that it is 'ok' to steal from, and a list of artists that we should pay to support.
I can't recall the last time I used a CD. I use YouTube converter for any songs that I like. I never buy an album, in fact I don't recall buying any music in the past five, six years. I won't be in the future either, it's all on my MP3 Player.
Original post by InsertWittyName
The fact of the matter is that if there was no way for me to get music for free, I wouldn't bother with it. So for people to suggest that the record labels or artists are losing out is wrong. They haven't lost a sale from piracy because music is not important enough to me to go out of my way to pay for most of the time (I have several thousand songs on itunes as well so imagine all the money I would have spent on it). Music is a nice thing to have, but I wouldn't lose any sleep if I didn't have any songs on my phone.

To suggest that no legal downloads would take place if there was no way to access them illegally is also wrong.
Wow, and now we're trying to justify theft from artists trying to establish themselves.

I'm sure that if the artists were happy to give their art away for free ... they would give it away for free.

If people paid to come and see my photographs, I'd be happy to give them a digital copy for their memory stick to take away - provided of course they didn't try and claim it was their photograph and make money off it (a problem I imagine the music industry wouldn't have very often). I'd even start by showing them to people for free, or letting them have a digital copy to print off themselves, because then they'll want to come and see them.
Similar situation to downloading and then coming to gigs/buying merch.

Additionally, if they wanted to take home a printed copy, then they'd pay to cover the production costs (plus a little bit in it for me for the trouble of getting that printed copy), similar to buying a physical CD with the booklet.
we should pay for music to support the artists but if theres a free alternative people are naturally wont pay like they should. maybe thats why music is so crappy nowadays. people arent paying for music like they did? back in the 90s and even 00s music was pretty decent.
To suggest that no legal downloads would take place if there was no way to access them illegally is also wrong.

Sorry I meant to say the music industry wasn't losing out on me illegally downloading, I can't speak for everyone else so I wasn't suggesting that no one would buy from itunes if piracy disappeared overnight, just that I wouldn't.
Talk me through how that works.

No-one pays anything for music, yet the artist is still able to run "3 private jets" in "semi-luxury".

Clearly I am missing something.

they make money from a lot more things than just selling tracks. They get payed thousands just to show up to certain events.
Wow, and now we're trying to justify theft from artists trying to establish themselves.

I'm sure that if the artists were happy to give their art away for free ... they would give it away for free.

A lot of them do. Thats how they establish themselves. See "no copyright sounds on" youtube. Loads of artists giving away music for free.
Of course, I purchase my music on iTunes. Although, I do have a free 12-month subscription to Spotify, but I have never been too interested in checking it out.
Reply 77
I pay but I pay for Spotify Premium. 6 million+ songs on tap with playlist functionality equal to iTunes for £5 per month which I will keep paying until I die or Spotify goes bust or I could buy 5 songs on iTunes, it's a no brainer.

Edit: Youtube converter sound quality is horrible, how do you people cope? And I have more than 25 years of Spotify Premium worth of songs if I was to buy them outright at £1 a piece making it even more no-brainer.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by K_o_46
Due to the increasing advancement of the Internet, it's become easier and easier to download music for free.
Despite this, you still see songs selling over a million downloads on iTunes charged at near £1 per copy when there are many websites that offer these same songs free of charge. If you think about that, someone may have a 2000 song library on their phone so would have "wasted" around £2000 that could have been used for something better like paying their bills.

I would like to know who and why you pay for your music if you do so

I don't particularly enjoy stealing.
I just stream alot of music on spotify but always end up exceeding my 1gb data allowance haha. There is no way i am paying 99p per song on itunes/amazon or am i going to use YouTube to MP3 converters. I am going to change my phone plan to an unlimited data plan so i can listen to as much music on spotify as i can without worrying about the feds knocking on my door or me going bankrupt.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest