The Student Room Group

Is this a form of manipulation

I started seeing my ex boyfriend a few months ago. We broke up when we were 17, we are now 19. We then got together and then broke up but were still seeing each other. He has some finical problems so I would help him by lending money, which he paid back. But if we went out it would rack up to much more, as well as petrol prices because he had me going out my way because he lives a while away from me. He’d ask me to pick him up from his mates after a night out and if I didn’t he would make me feel bad about it so I’d end up giving him money for an Uber.
I feel like it’s my fault for letting him use me. I told him recently, implying that i felt used (I didn’t use those words but i said it upset me that i was the one always paying for things). He called me distasteful for that.
I told him i didn’t want to be in that sort of exclusive-situationship type thing because it’s a confusing grey area for me, like benefits of a relationship without the responsibilities or title. He then told me he loved me - which he’s never really said about from the short time we were together. I said I’d still try and help him with things because he’s struggling. After i said that, a few weeks later he told me he slept with multiple people, which is fine, i was upset but he is single so he can do what he wants.
Fast forward- last week i went on date with a very nice guy. I then receive messages from him; “you’ve been out with someone” “it’s all adding up”, “who are you seeing”. He recently told me that he hopes i get my “stupid fking heart broken” by the other guy. The day after the date he had an attempted overdose so he is now in hospital. When i asked what set him off he said “i wanted you’ which makes me feel like it’s my fault. I don’t think it’s a normal response for finding out that your ex is seeing someone else but every time he messages it feels like an argument. He keeps asking me to see him, saying “i need you”, “i want you to see me”
I don’t know what to do right now, whether i should block him or not. I’m also in a band with him so I’m thinking i might leave it so neither of us get upset by each other.
Clear cut emotional and financial abuse.
Cut your ties with him and move on. It might be tough for a bit, and you'll need to block his number/access to your socials but he needs to grow up, earn money to cover his bills and not use a gf as a taxi service. As for the band, he might leave , you might leave or you could end up like Fleetwood Mac where everyone hated each other but the music was fantastic.
You've been on a date with a nice guy. Go on another one and see how that works out and leave the wannabe-Russell Brand to his own devices.
Reply 2
Block him and cut all contact. He is manipulative and these situations are not your fault or responsibility to sort out.

However, why do you have to leave the band; why can't he?
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I started seeing my ex boyfriend a few months ago. We broke up when we were 17, we are now 19. We then got together and then broke up but were still seeing each other. He has some finical problems so I would help him by lending money, which he paid back. But if we went out it would rack up to much more, as well as petrol prices because he had me going out my way because he lives a while away from me. He’d ask me to pick him up from his mates after a night out and if I didn’t he would make me feel bad about it so I’d end up giving him money for an Uber.
I feel like it’s my fault for letting him use me. I told him recently, implying that i felt used (I didn’t use those words but i said it upset me that i was the one always paying for things). He called me distasteful for that.
I told him i didn’t want to be in that sort of exclusive-situationship type thing because it’s a confusing grey area for me, like benefits of a relationship without the responsibilities or title. He then told me he loved me - which he’s never really said about from the short time we were together. I said I’d still try and help him with things because he’s struggling. After i said that, a few weeks later he told me he slept with multiple people, which is fine, i was upset but he is single so he can do what he wants.
Fast forward- last week i went on date with a very nice guy. I then receive messages from him; “you’ve been out with someone” “it’s all adding up”, “who are you seeing”. He recently told me that he hopes i get my “stupid fking heart broken” by the other guy. The day after the date he had an attempted overdose so he is now in hospital. When i asked what set him off he said “i wanted you’ which makes me feel like it’s my fault. I don’t think it’s a normal response for finding out that your ex is seeing someone else but every time he messages it feels like an argument. He keeps asking me to see him, saying “i need you”, “i want you to see me”
I don’t know what to do right now, whether i should block him or not. I’m also in a band with him so I’m thinking i might leave it so neither of us get upset by each other.

He is clearly manipulating/controlling you, and it does not sound like he is making you happy, so why on earth are you still with him? Cut all ties, block him and move on.
Block him. Textbook scumbag.
Original post by Anonymous

If someone threatens suicide, that is emotional abuse and no matter what they do, it isn't your fault. Don't try to solve it. Walk away the moment it happens because it is emotional blackmail designed to control you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending