The Student Room Group

Transition to Adult Life

Hi all,

I wondered if anyone here has experiences to share regarding the transition from teenage hood to adult life.

What was the most significant change? What was your greatest struggle? What was the most liberating aspect, if any?

Looking forward to your replies. :smile:
Hey!

For me, I feel it was like a big evolution from teenage to adult life. I became much more mature and wiser in handling and managing things. The most significant change was that I moved out from my parent’s house because of university. Later, now after years I have realised that it was a permanent move, and now I am an independent adult. It was a struggle and a liberating aspect at the same time. I have settlement issues, so it was very difficult for me to move out, change places all the time. But Parallely, it made me a responsible and independent adult. I don’t fear loneliness or fear of the unknown anymore. I have learned to go with the flow and explore life.

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
University of Southampton
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by yunchenjinwu
Hi all,

I wondered if anyone here has experiences to share regarding the transition from teenage hood to adult life.

What was the most significant change? What was your greatest struggle? What was the most liberating aspect, if any?

The most significant change was not seeing my family anymore. I spent basically a lifetime seeing my family every single day of my life from barely seeing them. I had, and still do, mixed feelings about this transition because my family gets on my nerves so much but I also love them a lot. Still, it's a nice thing to be free and go find your own two feet in the world. If you go to uni, the transition is smoothed out a little because a lot of things are made easy for you - you get the maintenance loan without necessarily needing to work, you pay for university accommodation during your first year and in most places that will spare you the ordeal of sorting out water, electricity and internet services and paying their bills separately, you're spared the council tax, you have lots of help from lots of people... so it's nice. Going to university eases you into being an adult, in a way.

My biggest struggle would be being alone. I like my alone time, but I like it in small doses and it sometimes comes in big doses at university, which isn't ideal but oh well. You live and learn.

Liberating aspect would be... you're free! You can do whatever you want. For example: I bought a bike. I told my parents that I was thinking of buying a bike and they were like "Noooo it's not safe" and I more or less said "Well, what are you going to do about it?" and went and bought a bike haha. I go explore the city and go to new places whenever I can. I do fun things. Nothing I couldn't do before but now I have more time to do them and I know I don't have to explain myself to anyone, which is nice.
Reply 3
Original post by Scotland Yard

The most significant change was not seeing my family anymore. I spent basically a lifetime seeing my family every single day of my life from barely seeing them. I had, and still do, mixed feelings about this transition because my family gets on my nerves so much but I also love them a lot. Still, it's a nice thing to be free and go find your own two feet in the world. If you go to uni, the transition is smoothed out a little because a lot of things are made easy for you - you get the maintenance loan without necessarily needing to work, you pay for university accommodation during your first year and in most places that will spare you the ordeal of sorting out water, electricity and internet services and paying their bills separately, you're spared the council tax, you have lots of help from lots of people... so it's nice. Going to university eases you into being an adult, in a way.

My biggest struggle would be being alone. I like my alone time, but I like it in small doses and it sometimes comes in big doses at university, which isn't ideal but oh well. You live and learn.

Liberating aspect would be... you're free! You can do whatever you want. For example: I bought a bike. I told my parents that I was thinking of buying a bike and they were like "Noooo it's not safe" and I more or less said "Well, what are you going to do about it?" and went and bought a bike haha. I go explore the city and go to new places whenever I can. I do fun things. Nothing I couldn't do before but now I have more time to do them and I know I don't have to explain myself to anyone, which is nice.

Thank you for your reply 😚 it's so interesting to hear your experiences.
Reply 4
Paying for everything myself. I did it a bit differently because my 'move out' and 'transition period' I did by moving abroad. In for a penny, in for a pound. :lol:
Hi,

A part of transitioning into adult life which really became prominent in my time at university was the scary yet rewarding aspect of budgeting, we tend to hear the term "adult money" on social media a lot and I really didn't understand how big of a term that would be, it does feel very different but the most important part of it is understanding the budgeting part of it all. Naturally we want to treat ourselves but I found myself treating myself for everything and that's okay, you can learn from this which I admit I still am now learning to budget and it's not easy for everyone and again that's okay.

Just understand that it is okay to treat yourself, of course it is, but you've got to know your limits which is budgeting else you end up in a panic waiting for the next payment which is not exactly a nice feeling. As I said I'm still learning to budget and different ways of budgeting may help different people but yes this is something I've learned about transitioning into an adult and realising how much easier budgeting makes your financial life, stopping the panic "running out" before the next payment.

I'm sure this is something that a lot of people can relate to as well, especially when the term "adult money" is a thing.

Best wishes,
Katie (Film graduate)
University of Wolverhampton
Hi all,

@yunchenjinwu

It is difficult to have to take more responsibility, particularly when it comes to decision-making. You go from things being decided for you (even if you disagree), arguing with parents, to being able to make your own decisions. You may still be given advice, but ultimately you choose what to do and you know that you have to take responsibility for your decisions if they work out or if they don't!

I think learning to manage finances, learning more about yourself (away from family) gives you a whole new perspective on what is and isn't important to you. When you have to learn how to work with people in a university or work environment that also makes you realise that not everybody sees things the same way you do, that people can be unkind, and that being an adult is learning how to manage that in a grown-up way. It's tough!

I think the best thing about the change from being a teen to an adult is that you feel more together as a person. You begin to feel more confident about yourself and rather than feeling like you need to be liked, to have good fashion sense/ to dress a certain way or to be into the right type of music, you can just be yourself, and if people like you great, but if they don't, they don't. It's not a big deal!

Hope that helps,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
Original post by University of Huddersfield
Hi all,

@yunchenjinwu

It is difficult to have to take more responsibility, particularly when it comes to decision-making. You go from things being decided for you (even if you disagree), arguing with parents, to being able to make your own decisions. You may still be given advice, but ultimately you choose what to do and you know that you have to take responsibility for your decisions if they work out or if they don't!

I think learning to manage finances, learning more about yourself (away from family) gives you a whole new perspective on what is and isn't important to you. When you have to learn how to work with people in a university or work environment that also makes you realise that not everybody sees things the same way you do, that people can be unkind, and that being an adult is learning how to manage that in a grown-up way. It's tough!

I think the best thing about the change from being a teen to an adult is that you feel more together as a person. You begin to feel more confident about yourself and rather than feeling like you need to be liked, to have good fashion sense/ to dress a certain way or to be into the right type of music, you can just be yourself, and if people like you great, but if they don't, they don't. It's not a big deal!

Hope that helps,

Hi,

I completely agree and it really caught my attention about discovering yourself and understanding your interests like music and fashion as unfortunately as a teen I found myself to often go along with what others liked to “fit in”, and may have resulted in me suppressing stuff I do like and passionate about.

Adult hood allowed me to stop suppressing what I like to “fit in” and embrace who I am and what I like and from that you discover even more about yourself, it’s really nice realising that. As you say, like what you like and in return you’ll learn more about yourself and that’s the most important thing!

Best wishes,
Katie
Original post by WolvesRep1
@yunchenjinwu

Hope that helps,

Hi,

I completely agree and it really caught my attention about discovering yourself and understanding your interests like music and fashion as unfortunately as a teen I found myself to often go along with what others liked to “fit in”, and may have resulted in me suppressing stuff I do like and passionate about.

Adult hood allowed me to stop suppressing what I like to “fit in” and embrace who I am and what I like and from that you discover even more about yourself, it’s really nice realising that. As you say, like what you like and in return you’ll learn more about yourself and that’s the most important thing!

Best wishes,
Katie
Katie,

Completely agree, but it's so tough though when you are a teenager because you crave acceptance and just want to fit in. You want to be liked. You want to be popular. You want to be cool. You want to stand out, but not too much. It's just such a difficult time! It's so wonderful when you are confident enough to stop worrying about all of that and to just accept that it's okay for you look to like some music and for other people to think it's awful, or it's okay to dress really grungy or to be a fashionista or it's okay to change your hair all the time or to stick with the same style. It's great to let go of all that teenage angst, and that is the beauty of adulthood!

I also think that the most interesting/coolest people I have met are the people who are not trying to be anything, they are just themselves and they are confident because they are just being themselves rather than trying to be 'cool' and that confidence naturally draws people to them. In other words, they are cool by not trying to be cool!

Always be yourself!

Thanks for sharing,

Hi all,

Hey there @yunchenjinwu !

The biggest thing for me was adapting to independence. A lot of the time, students crave independence when going to uni but once you get there things don't necessarily go as you'd hoped. I definitely felt this with things like learning how to change my own lightbulbs and even had a situation in first year where I had to change all the fuses on my plug adapters because they were too low for the sockets. No one really pre-warns you of that sort of thing, you kind of have to learn to do it yourself. It's also getting used to having a long, rubbish day and still having to come home and cook a meal for yourself rather than your parents having things ready on the table (first world problems I know).

There's a lot of things you end up having to teach yourself, such as budgeting and even how a mortgage works that school just doesn't teach you but I think it's so important to find your own learning style that doesn't rely on other people because you do have to learn to just automatically do things for yourself rather than depending on others. Although independence is tricky at times, I truly enjoy the transition into adulthood because you get to find your feet and really experience things throughout your 20's that set you up for the rest of your life.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
Hi all,

Hi @yunchenjinwu,

I went to university straight after sixth form and for me the most significant change was definitely moving away from my family home and taking that step to becoming independent. At first I felt overwhelmed as I know many other students do but found after meeting lots of new people from all backgrounds I really became much more confident and enjoyed living away from home. At first I did go home quite a bit which is completely normal but as my life at university became busier with assignments and plans with friends I found that I didn't need to go home as much.

For me, the greatest struggle was learning how to manage my money which I know a lot of current students will be in the same situation, to help with this I created a weekly budget and made sure I stuck to it, I also started to meal prep which saved me a lot of money on my food shop.

The most liberating aspect I would say was being able to have the freedom to do whatever I wanted, I really enjoyed this independence and also managed to secure a part time job whilst studying which taught me a lot about managing my time around studying, work and having a social life.

I hope this helps. 😊

Best wishes,
Sarah
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending