The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
MentallyIll
I really don't undertstand why Cambridge is suffering a money crisis. According to some article someone posted on here recently, Trinity is as rich as Man United. If so, why cant Trinity just help the Arts departments out? I am so naive.

Because its wealth is based on property, which doesn't generate much revenue unless you sell it. Its income is likely to be nowhere near that of Man United. As an example, I think Harvard, which has an endownment of $19 billion, actually spend less than $500 million a year on its undergraduates, i.e. about 2.5%.
Reply 21
It does. Trinity donated something like £16 million to the university last year.
H&E
Because its wealth is based on property, which doesn't generate much revenue unless you sell it. Its income is likely to be nowhere near that of Man United. As an example, I think Harvard, which has an endownment of $19 billion, actually spend less than $500 million a year on its undergraduates, i.e. about 2.5%.

Investment income of Trinity in 2002 was £25 Million. Surely this is not typical....
shiny
It does. Trinity donated something like £16 million to the university last year.

Right, well thanks for clearing that up :smile:
Reply 24
I'd say you go for Stanford...I would if I could afford it :tongue:

Btw how many extra-curricular activities do you do?
but why would you go stanford instead of Cam?

ECs: not many actually, I was in the debate club, I was a memeber of the "israeli-palestininan fundraising' group, we'd raise money to send to 2 schools in israel and palestine to raise awareness etc

a couple of times i helped out for a few hours on food drives, I did karate, i play basketball (neither professionaly)...umm that' it i think.
Reply 26
If I had the choice of either Stanford or Cambridge I'd go for Cambridge.

If the choice was Harvard or Cambridge I might go for Harvard.

But as I'm a thick bastard such opportunities are unlikely to come my way. :wink:
cambridge.
only harvard could rival cambridge in terms comparing nations' best.

Harvard- US's No.1
Cambridge - UK's No.1 (being a cambridge man myself! LOL)

harvard & yale have annual exclusive games like oxbridge varsity games, also instead of the oxbridge rowing they have the harvard-yale baseball, which is really big - awesome.

being at stanford you won't have any of that. a bit like MIT or Imperial college, london, or LSE London. you might miss out on a lot of big events & opportunites:smile:

that's my opinion anyway :smile: good luck and well done :smile:
Reply 28
Howard
If I had the choice of either Stanford or Cambridge I'd go for Cambridge.

If the choice was Harvard or Cambridge I might go for Harvard.

But as I'm a thick bastard such opportunities are unlikely to come my way. :wink:

Hmmmm.... I dunno. I may just be playing to stereotypes here but I'm not sure I'd want to go to Harvard what with some of the people who go there ( i.e people who have bought rather than earned their place ).

Also I'd insist on spelling it Haarvaard.
Reply 29
Faboba
Hmmmm.... I dunno. I may just be playing to stereotypes here but I'm not sure I'd want to go to Harvard what with some of the people who go there ( i.e people who have bought rather than earned their place ).

Also I'd insist on spelling it Haarvaard.

You are playing to stereotypes. However, this particular stereotype is terrifyingly accurate.

Mind you, I don't see that it's a bad thing - if you got in to Harvard on merit, the presence of stupid rich people will allow you to excel more easily, as well as increase the prospects of getting work placements in the companies their "daddies" own.
Definitely Cambridge!
Reply 31
priya
...whatever money they have left...

It can't be that bad surely? If the worst comes to the worst they could always sell some of their assets.
Reply 32
H&E
You are playing to stereotypes. However, this particular stereotype is terrifyingly accurate.

Mind you, I don't see that it's a bad thing - if you got in to Harvard on merit, the presence of stupid rich people will allow you to excel more easily, as well as increase the prospects of getting work placements in the companies their "daddies" own.

Yeah! Be the Haarvaard scruff!

Besides what's Harvard really good for? Business - yuck - and Law - American Law.

What American Unis have the best rep for Philosophy and English?
Reply 33
Faboba

Besides what's Harvard really good for? Business - yuck - and Law - American Law.

At undergraudate level you can do neither Business nor Law at Harvard. This a little known fact, but very important - there are no undergraduates at Harvard Business School or Harvard Law School.

As to your second question - the best academic university in the United States, by a fair margin in my view, is Princeton in New Jersey. If that was your priority (for all subjects except Engineering) I would look there first.
Reply 34
Faboba

Strangely a fair number of top American academics in these subjects have spent study time in the UK (normally at Oxbridge or London).
Reply 35
shiny
Strangely a fair number of top American academics in these subjects have spent study time in the UK (normally at Oxbridge or London).

I don't think it's strange at all - despite all the moaning from students/ministers etc, Britain has some of the world's most prestigious universities, and it is to be expected that intelligent, ambitious people will try and take advantage of what they have to offer.
Reply 36
H&E
At undergraudate level you can do neither Business nor Law at Harvard. This a little known fact, but very important - there are no undergraduates at Harvard Business School or Harvard Law School.

As to your second question - the best academic university in the United States, by a fair margin in my view, is Princeton in New Jersey. If that was your priority (for all subjects except Engineering) I would look there first.

I'm not really in the market, just curious. If I was wanting to go to a foreign university I'd either polish up my French or start to learn German.

Man that would be a hard call; The Black Forest or French Chicks!

p.s - didn't know about the only post-graduate thing but I'm assuming you mean only college graduates, right. That would be pretty standard across America for the top subjects, wouldn't it?
Reply 37
H&E
I don't think it's strange at all - despite all the moaning from students/ministers etc, Britain has some of the world's most prestigious universities, and it is to be expected that intelligent, ambitious people will try and take advantage of what they have to offer.

Sadly it tends to be confined to the Arts and Humanities. No Harvard academic would want to come to Britain to do science or engineering research - they would have to be out of their mind!
Reply 38
shiny
Sadly it tends to be confined to the Arts and Humanities. No Harvard academic would want to come to Britain to do science or engineering research - they would have to be out of their mind!

Except for maths, probably.
Reply 39
H&E
Except for maths, probably.

I think it is the condition of our public loos which scares them off.

Latest

Trending

Trending