The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
shiny
Actually why would I want to go to Kalamazoo? There's no grad school. I want a grad school.

Are you saying you are in undergrad now?
Reply 61
Austin86
Are you saying you are in undergrad now?

Yep.
Reply 62
shiny
Yep.

I see, I was unaware of that. What are you majoring in, and what would you like to study in Graduate school?
Reply 63
Austin86
I see, I was unaware of that. What are you majoring in, and what would you like to study in Graduate school?

Lies. Vision.
Reply 64
shiny
Lies. Vision.

Lies?, sounds interesting, what exactly does that deal with? Never heard of anyone majoring in "lies" before.
Reply 65
shiny
Sadly it tends to be confined to the Arts and Humanities. No Harvard academic would want to come to Britain to do science or engineering research - they would have to be out of their mind!

Many Ivy league academics working in the social sciences. The Econ. dept at the LSE is dominated by them, also at the LBS, as well as the Judge Institute at Cambridge and the Said Business School at Oxford.
Reply 66
Austin86
Lies?, sounds interesting, what exactly does that deal with? Never heard of anyone majoring in "lies" before.

Statistics.
Austin86
UPenn is not a state University. If your thinking of PennState, it is a state school. You're correct.. all Ivy leage schools are private.

Oh dear, thank you for that correction then :smile:
Reply 68
Mysticmin
Oh dear, thank you for that correction then :smile:

anytime :biggrin:
J.S.
Many Ivy league academics working in the social sciences. The Econ. dept at the LSE is dominated by them, also at the LBS, as well as the Judge Institute at Cambridge and the Said Business School at Oxford.

Yes, but no expensive equipment needed, you'd be mad to leave the brilliant labs and research grants of US universities for UK experiment conditions.
shiny
Statistics.

:eek: Why on earth would you want to do arbitrary mathematics?
Reply 71
Mysticmin
:eek: Why on earth would you want to do arbitrary mathematics?

:smile: I have never heard Statistics described like that. Arbitrary mathematics! :smile:

Why not?
shiny
:smile: I have never heard Statistics described like that. Arbitrary mathematics! :smile:

Why not?

I think i have a personal dislike of statistics, it doesn't give the same satisfaction of pure maths, or mechanics. And it's also not logical so I need to learn methods. Who knows, maybe it's better at university level, I hated maths at GCSE.

Engineer and Statistics...that's rather different. :smile:
Reply 73
Mysticmin
I think i have a personal dislike of statistics, it doesn't give the same satisfaction of pure maths, or mechanics. And it's also not logical so I need to learn methods. Who knows, maybe it's better at university level, I hated maths at GCSE. Engineer and Statistics...that's rather different. :smile:

Everything is statistical even mechanics.
shiny
Everything is statistical even mechanics.

Meh. Not at a-level it isn't.
Reply 75
Mysticmin
Meh. Not at a-level it isn't.

True but A-Levels are A-Levels.
shiny
True but A-Levels are A-Levels.

Yes o wise undergraduate :smile:
Reply 77
Mysticmin
Yes o wise undergraduate :smile:

I'm not wise just arbitrary.
shiny

I didn't know the two were mutually exclusive.
Reply 79
shiny

I always hated the arbitary constant in calculus. I used to leave it out just to spite the bugger or replace it with something a bit more sane like 'x'.

Is statistics actually any fun?

Latest

Trending

Trending