The Student Room Group

Would you homeschool your children?

Scroll to see replies

i would send my children off to school but would also do learning activities at home until their old enough to go into full time education so they would have more smarts than the rest of their class :smile:
Besides sending your children off to school gives them more social abilities and they will become friends with people their age instead of the family pet! :P
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 121
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Or I'm just not offended easily. It's my opinion and I'm allowed to give it. I don't see why that has offended you
Hasn't really offended me, although I may or may not be what you consider generic. Doesn't mean I am not going to call you out on insulting large swathes of people, which you are.

How would they lie in if everyone else was getting up and making a racket? My approach would be to explain to them why it's a bad idea and wait for them to come around
I have managed to lie in with everybody up and about. And who says they come around? Why would a child with no concept of the long term value of education put school ahead of the short term fun of videogames? Or what if by the time they come around they have missed enough education to put them at a disadvantage

When I was a child, if I wanted to do something, there was no way you could stop me. Trying to be authoritarian would make me rebel. By taking away the rules, you take away anything for them to rebel against!

Destructive behaviour doesn't become less destructive just because there are no rules against it. My parents forced me to do a lot of things I didn't enjoy when I was a kid, most of which I am grateful for in hindsight. If they had followed your attitude they would have let my short sighted laziness win, and I wouldn't be where I am now. And I like where I am now.

It should be everywhere. Kids books should feature gay characters. Shows should have disabled people. Kids should be exposed to all sorts of people on a daily basis. We should have a weekly lesson on tolerance and understanding
I do agree (although that weekly tolerance lesson is already a thing: PSHE)

It's not useful if you're not interested in it. And I think 14 is fine, but with less restriction

so it isn't useful for people to have, say, basic knowledge of major world events such as ww2 just because they don't find history interesting?

I look down on people who are nasty
No, you look down on "drones". Has everybody who watches Big Brother been nasty to you?

So if you're surrounded by a load of *****, it's superior to call it out?

It is superior to think it is **** in the first place, just because it is not your thing.
Nope, I just feel like they would have more of a 'childhood' and be better prepared for higher education by experiencing the highs AND lows of high school.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lucaf
Hasn't really offended me, although I may or may not be what you consider generic. Doesn't mean I am not going to call you out on insulting large swathes of people, which you are.

I'm just saying it as I see it

I have managed to lie in with everybody up and about. And who says they come around? Why would a child with no concept of the long term value of education put school ahead of the short term fun of videogames? Or what if by the time they come around they have missed enough education to put them at a disadvantage

If they do it for a long time, then they aren't ready to learn. Children learn when they are ready

Destructive behaviour doesn't become less destructive just because there are no rules against it. My parents forced me to do a lot of things I didn't enjoy when I was a kid, most of which I am grateful for in hindsight. If they had followed your attitude they would have let my short sighted laziness win, and I wouldn't be where I am now. And I like where I am now.

Mine didn't, they kind of let me get on with it. My dad and I used to clash a lot though, and everytime he tried to stop me doing something, I wanted to do it more. When he backed off, I was a lot less rebellious.

so it isn't useful for people to have, say, basic knowledge of major world events such as ww2 just because they don't find history interesting?

Not really I mean, it's interesting (to me because I like history) but I despise maths, and past the basic adding/subtracting, there's no need for me to know it

No, you look down on "drones". Has everybody who watches Big Brother been nasty to you?

No. And there are some people who are okay. But surely you know what I'm on about?

It is superior to think it is **** in the first place, just because it is not your thing.

It's not because it's not my thing. Playing drums is not my thing but I think it's pretty cool.
Reply 124
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
I'm just saying it as I see it
and I am criticizing how you see it.

If they do it for a long time, then they aren't ready to learn. Children learn when they are ready
If you define "ready to learn" as "would willingly choose lessons over playing videogames", then most kids aren't ready to learn until they are into their teens. Kids don't really see education as something that benefits them until they hit GCSE's and realise that their results actually have an impact on them. If you let children decide when, what and how much they learn, they simply won't learn much. That may turn out fine if they later decide they want to be a makeup artist, but it won't turn out if they decide they want to be a doctor.

Mine didn't, they kind of let me get on with it. My dad and I used to clash a lot though, and everytime he tried to stop me doing something, I wanted to do it more. When he backed off, I was a lot less rebellious.

So you think if you let kids do whatever they want, they will always end up doing the right thing? I suppose you will say "I would let them learn from their mistakes", which is fair enough except lot of mistakes have long term repercussions that are hard to recover from. If their mistake is "not bothering with school and sabotaging their chances of getting into the career they want", just letting them get on with it is irresponsible.

Not really I mean, it's interesting (to me because I like history) but I despise maths, and past the basic adding/subtracting, there's no need for me to know it
most people would find maths useful as far as basic algebra, I think GCSE is a fine level to have it compulsory to.

No. And there are some people who are okay. But surely you know what I'm on about?
no not really, from what I have seen you just have a massive superiority complex.

It's not because it's not my thing. Playing drums is not my thing but I think it's pretty cool.

Ok, so just things you don't think are "cool" then. You said it is good for people to have different hobbies, but you are looking down on people having interests that you don't think are worthwhile yourself. That is just hypocritical.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending