The Student Room Group

Mature student would like to change BA course & Uni, help!

If this post is in the wrong area of the forum, many apologies :frown:

I have currently finished my first year Fine Art BA in North Yorkshire. I don't feel happy about continuing with the final two years, it's not what I really want to do.
So, after many weeks of rattling about the house, constantly chattering to friends, family and anyone else who'll listen, I decided to contact Leeds Met about a Film making BA. An interest that's followed me about for 20 years.

Over the phone, they acknowledged my pain (or seemed to) and a told me to email them with details of education, results and experience.

Starting the first year of another course doesn't faze me, but I do feel it's not going to be easy changing from one study place to another, and rather than having the desired 180 points for the Leeds Met new BA course, I only so far have 120 points.
I'm not sure whether I need to contact my college asap about this change of heart, or let Leeds Met advise first?

Has anyone got any advice regards to applying as a mature student at Leeds, or anything else I maybe should be aware of?
Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Northyorkgirl
rather than having the desired 180 points for the Leeds Met new BA course, I only so far have 120 points.
I'm not sure whether I need to contact my college asap about this change of heart, or let Leeds Met advise first?

Has anyone got any advice regards to applying as a mature student at Leeds, or anything else I maybe should be aware of?
Thanks in advance :smile:

I would wait until Leeds Met get back to you. There's no point alerting your college unless you know for sure that you're leaving. Leeds Met are at least considering you, even if you don't have the required number of points. The fact that you've successfully completed your first year will work in your favour, as it at least gives you an academic track record at uni level. If they offer you a place, that's the time to let your current college know (and Student Finance if you're getting it).

If you do leave your current uni after passing your first year, you should be eligible for a Certificate of Higher Education. That will at least acknowledge the work that you've put in on your current course.
Thank you very much for the advice, I shall take it :smile:

All the best

Fiona.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending