The Student Room Group

Worried about 3rd year undergrad chemistry

Hi

I am studying Medicinal Chemistry, going into 3rd year. I was slightly disappointed that I was so close to a 2:2 in 2nd year. 0.8 off. I worked really hard (sacrificed badminton on many Tuesday nights because of needing to finish stuff off). I have Dyslexia so it can take me up to 3x the effort and hours to complete work like tutorials, revision and reports especially tutorials I cant manage to sit down and complete say anymore than 2 mechanisms on any day so if theres 14 it takes me forever. We only get an overall score in the module and not a break down of exam and coursework. I really want a 2:2 this year. Anybody been through third year of a chemistry degree any tips. I have been told to write a description of the mechanism beside the arrows in Organic which I did last year. My Organic and Inorganic marks were up from 1st year, I had depression then which made revision really impossible and I kept mixing things up knowing they werent right.
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Original post by cdoyle
Hi

I am studying Medicinal Chemistry, going into 3rd year. I was slightly disappointed that I was so close to a 2:2 in 2nd year. 0.8 off. I worked really hard (sacrificed badminton on many Tuesday nights because of needing to finish stuff off). I have Dyslexia so it can take me up to 3x the effort and hours to complete work like tutorials, revision and reports especially tutorials I cant manage to sit down and complete say anymore than 2 mechanisms on any day so if theres 14 it takes me forever. We only get an overall score in the module and not a break down of exam and coursework. I really want a 2:2 this year. Anybody been through third year of a chemistry degree any tips. I have been told to write a description of the mechanism beside the arrows in Organic which I did last year. My Organic and Inorganic marks were up from 1st year, I had depression then which made revision really impossible and I kept mixing things up knowing they werent right.

Hey there !

As a fellow Chemist and soon to be 3rd Year I can echo a lot of your worries.

I too am worried about my 3rd year but am quite looking forward to the challenge. I can understand however that our circumstances are quite difficult.

Rather than learning by rote each mechanism in org. chem. I try to rationalise the overall mechanism.

I'm not sure whether or not you've done a lot of heteroaromatic chemistry but if you consider any Paal Knorr synthesis for a furan or thiophene based molecule you could learn a series of steps/curly arrows or you could ensure you have a solid grounding in enol and enolate based chemistry and work from there.

Additionally, I would highly recommend getting in tune with the idea of pKa values and how to rationalise them. I've found that pKa trends are excellent for figuring out a good leaving group for example.

Lastly, you've probably already done this but make sure that you are indeed getting extra time in exams for your Dyslexia and depression. I would also consider speaking to your personal tutor about this or at least getting it down on record. The reason I say this (please confirm the following with your tutor as I'm not 100% sure about this) is because if you are on a boundary between a 2:2 and a 2:1 for example at the end of you degree then an external examiner may see fit to bump you up.

If there's anything else you'd like any advice/help on then feel free to PM me or post here. I may be a bit late in replying given I'm a bit busy with work atm :smile:

EDIT : Also, with regards to mechanisms, I would agree that annotating your mechanisms is a very good thing to do. Make sure to use certain key phrases such as SN1/2, E1/E2, ene reaction, sigmatropic shift... You get the idea. Also, be wary of using straight arrows in lieu of a equilibrium arrows... This is especially true when forming an enamine for example.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest