The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Do i have a chance of an offer?

I attained ABBCC in S5, but the typical offer specified for Politics at Edinburgh is AAAA. Do i have a chance of getting a conditional offer with the grades I have?
If not, the typical offer for Social Policy & Politics is AABB. Would I be better applying to this instead?
I recently found out that I achieved AABBB in my Scottish Highers during my 5th year, so this year I will be applying to the University of Edinburgh for Psychology. The typical offer for Psychology at UoE is AABB for Scottish Highers (but the minimum is BBBB by the end of 5th year).

I'm hoping that I have at least done well enough for a conditional offer, but I'm just wondering how likely I would be to get an unconditional offer. I don't know how readily UoE give out unconditional offers at all as I don't know anyone who has studied there before.

Thanks if you can help at all :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
It looks like you have good grades that exceed the typical offer, so that's a good position to be in. The important thing to remember is that Edinburgh care a lot about personal statements; if you can display how interested you are, any psychology experience/perhaps science subjects you've studied and their importance in your decision to study psychology, and what you plan to do with your degree you should do really well.
So a strong statement to match your good grades, well done by the way, five you a good chance is say.

Experience= I got AABBD in 5th year, wrote a strong personal statement and got 5 unconditional offers (2 in 4 A typical offer courses) and I attended an Edinburgh university personal statement lecture where they told us what they looked for when giving out offers.

Good luck! Hope I helped, and well done on your great results :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd like to apply to Edinburgh to study English Literature and History.
At AS I got AABD, I'm dropping Spanish which I got a D in and resitting an exam to get my history grade up to an A (I totally messed up one of the history exams), and next year I should hopefully get AAA-A*AA
Edinburgh states that its offer is AAA "to applicants who have a chieved a strong set of GCSE A* grades" - what does this mean? Does this mean that they make lower offers to students who achieved lower at GCSE? (as their minimum requirements are BBB), or does it mean they will favour applicants with strong GCSEs? I only got 2A*s at GCSE, my average grade was an A, so do I stand a chance? Especially as I now have a bad AS grade which they'll see too? (bearing in mind too that one of my GCSE A*s was in Spanish...)
Yeah you will stand a chance, It really depends on your predicted results will have to see if you can be predicted AAA you will probably get an offer of AAA or A*AA.
Reply 5
Hi! :smile:

I would like to apply to Edinburgh to read social anthropology!
I got A in english lit, and Bs in politics, history and german in my AS-levels. I am dropping German and my politics was 1 mark off an A.
I've just finished my first year at a boarding school in the north of England and I had never attended an english speaking school before. I'm from Italy so I'm fluent in both english and italian.
I am head boarder, vice house captain and joint-president of Interact (Junior Rotary Club).
I've seen the offer for social anthropology is AAA. Will my application be still looked at even if I got ABB at AS in the subjects I'm keeping? Thank you in advance for your help!
Original post by robertscott1997
I attained ABBCC in S5, but the typical offer specified for Politics at Edinburgh is AAAA. Do i have a chance of getting a conditional offer with the grades I have?
If not, the typical offer for Social Policy & Politics is AABB. Would I be better applying to this instead?

It really depends, Edinburgh can be quite picky. I got better grades than that in S5, had contextual factors and was sitting three advanced highers (and an extra higher) which I got good grades in yet I got rejected despite having well above what they asked for. I feel Edinburgh are really unpredictable with making offers because there were applicants with worse grades than me who got offers.

Just don't make my mistake of only applying for one Scottish university in the hope of getting in only to find out that you didn't and that you'll now need to pay tuition fees for going to England. :angry: I'm now going to Newcastle University for music and they do have a better reputation in my subject but Edinburgh really is an amazing university so I would advise you to apply.

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 7
Hello!:smile:
I got BCC in my recent AS exam, ( B for Business Studies, C for Accounting and Mathematics) which is quite low and i wanted to apply for Accounting and Finance in UoE. The entry requirements specified in UCAS website is AAA-BBB. Do i still have chance of getting offer any offers from them? Thank you in advance!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by allena
Hello!:smile:
I got BCC in my recent AS exam, ( B for Business Studies, C for Accounting and Mathematics) which is quite low and i wanted to apply for Accounting and Finance in UoE. The entry requirements specified in UCAS website is AAA-BBB. Do i still have chance of getting offer any offers from them? Thank you in advance!

The honest answer is no, not really. While Edinburgh's offers are often quite low, they are pretty upfront about your needing pretty high predictions to be given one, often around AAA. If you don't get realistic predictions in that region, there's not much hope.
Hi there! I achieved AABBC at higher in S5 and I am sitting a further three highers and an advanced higher. I realise it's a very competitive university, but do you think I have any chance of receiving an offer for English Language at Edinburgh? (typical offer AAAA)
Reply 10
Hi,

can someone tell me about Edinburgh's postgrad admissions? I have just applied to the MSc. in International Relations. I'm well above their minimum grade requirement, should have decent letters of recommendation and a bunch of extra curricular stuff (exchange semester, student union, internship, languages).

Are they usually quite strict with postgrad admissions or does everyone fulfilling the requirements have a good shot?
hello,
i achieved ABCC (geography, biology, history and physics) at AS and got a B in the Extended Project Qualification. i was only 1 mark of a B in history, i have dropped physics and i have predicted A2 grades of AAB. i would love to study International relations at the University of Edinburgh. do you think i have a chance?
thanks anyone who can help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending