The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher or another Higher?

Well I am now in 6th year and in my 5th year results I got 4 As and a B. I aspire to go to Glasgow University to study Computing Science (or something along those lines)

For this year, I have picked Advanced Higher Computing (this is where my strengths lie and was one of my As) but I was told I would have to teach myself which I accepted as I thought my love of the subject would help. Now that I have got a bit into the course I feel that I'm having issues due to no direct teaching and I'm finding it a bit dull which I never have with Computing at Standard Grade nor Higher.

I have met the requirements for Glasgow (for Computing Science) already but for this year I have picked 3 Highers and the Advanced (which I am struggling with) and I am worrying in case the extra workload will affect my other subjects. I have the option to take Higher Graphics which means that my Highers would cover a wider spectrum of fields and I am quite interested in it.

My questions is should I stick at the Advanced Higher Computing (for Uni or employability within the field) or do Higher Graphics and try to build up as many Highers that I can?

Should not having the Advanced Higher (after Uni) be an issue to employers?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :smile:
YOU are in save side whether you will or will not do well in advanced highers..... Go for advanced as I would help you alot when you statrt uni..... If I were you I would choose two rather than one advanced higher subject.... (take either Physics or Maths)..... I can assure you you'll have no problem whesoever.....!

Good Luck
Reply 2
Original post by Kieran-T
Well I am now in 6th year and in my 5th year results I got 4 As and a B. I aspire to go to Glasgow University to study Computing Science (or something along those lines)

For this year, I have picked Advanced Higher Computing (this is where my strengths lie and was one of my As) but I was told I would have to teach myself which I accepted as I thought my love of the subject would help. Now that I have got a bit into the course I feel that I'm having issues due to no direct teaching and I'm finding it a bit dull which I never have with Computing at Standard Grade nor Higher.

I have met the requirements for Glasgow (for Computing Science) already but for this year I have picked 3 Highers and the Advanced (which I am struggling with) and I am worrying in case the extra workload will affect my other subjects. I have the option to take Higher Graphics which means that my Highers would cover a wider spectrum of fields and I am quite interested in it.

My questions is should I stick at the Advanced Higher Computing (for Uni or employability within the field) or do Higher Graphics and try to build up as many Highers that I can?

Should not having the Advanced Higher (after Uni) be an issue to employers?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Congratulations for your results!
I also picked Advanced Higher Computing last year but dropped it due to it being quite a dull subject and like you said very limited help was given.
I would contact the uni and ask them if it is required!
Advanced Computing would definitely help when starting Uni and also if you stick to the subject will give u a better idea if you really want to apply for that course.
Can you not do less highers to help with the workload?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending