The Student Room Group

Do you prefer to use big words ...

Scroll to see replies

[QUOTE="Procrastinate;49531151" I="I"]
Original post by louieee
mate it took you twelve hours, I think I win
Mate I wasnt even online and you didnt even give a comeback. :tongue:

because I didn't feel the need to squabble with you.
******** is a long word I don't like using much.
If less(er) words can be used to express my point, there is zero reason to make it longwinded
Sure, if it's appropriate and not confusing in its context. I've known friends have their work marked down at uni for 'trying too hard to aim for Shakespearean English' with their vocab etc. Oh and, whilst we're at it, someone really should tell Russell Brand that it's quite alright to speak in words of less than five syllables.
Original post by AbdulKoyes
If less(er) words can be used to express my point, there is zero reason to make it longwinded

There is something sinister and Orwellian about this popular attitude. Words don't have to just be means to ends; they have their own value and beauty.
Reply 65
Yes. In the rare instance that I should happen to think of something clever to say, I'll usually say it. But it's a very rare occurrence.
Original post by Birkenhead
There is something sinister and Orwellian about this popular attitude. Words don't have to just be means to ends; they have their own value and beauty.

are you referring to 1984... or his well known essay on the pompous and imprecise use of English?
Original post by Joinedup
are you referring to 1984... or his well known essay on the pompous and imprecise use of English?

I was referring to the idea of newspeak in 1984. Your presumption that all use of words that does not treat them as blunt instruments for getting from A to B is, by implication, 'pompous and imprecise' is a common inverted snobbery that I confronted in post 27. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=49503023&postcount=27
It's funny when people use long words to sound smart but then they don't actually know the meaning of those words. There were a lot of girls like that in my 6th form science classes rofl. Up themselves they were. I just silently chuckled to myself when they tried to act superior to others using the wrong words.

I only do it when it's necessary to communicate an idea. Thats what language is for after all.
Original post by Birkenhead
I was referring to the idea of newspeak in 1984. Your presumption that all use of words that does not treat them as blunt instruments for getting from A to B is, by implication, 'pompous and imprecise' is a common inverted snobbery that I confronted in post 27. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=49503023&postcount=27

wait a minute - didn't you just presume to tell me what I presume there? Are you claiming to be a telepath?

Just read the essay - you might learn something.
Original post by LostGear
Why bother with elephantine words when unembellished and infinitely simpler words will do?

The irony in this one is stronk. Using so called 'big' words is nothin' special. It's their rareness and the fact that they're longer and thus not well less suited for everyday conversations, that makes them so elegant.

Even intellectuals at Cambridge or Oxford who abuse this uncommon vocabulary are normally pretentious and conceited in themselves, it's a bad sight.
[QUOTE="louieee;49533477"]
Original post by I Procrastinate

because I didn't feel the need to squabble with you.

But you did...you called me that infant and a turd Bl
[QUOTE="Procrastinate;49549091" I="I"]
Original post by louieee

But you did...you called me that infant and a turd Bl

what's Bl
[QUOTE="louieee;49552259"]

what's Bl

Ah, i was on my phone, so i could use an emoji.
The "B" is sunglasses.
I use language fit for purpose

I generally assume those who drop in "big words" are less intelligent, since it's not difficult to simply read a thesaurus and learn more arcane sounding synonyms for what you mean to say, and slot those in.
One is hardly a sesquipedalian :h:

Do I get rep for the irony?
(edited 9 years ago)
I love to use BIG words!
Wut u talkin about?

Willis?
No, you'd sound like a legit dickhead if you said things like "infinitesimally diminutive" irl. Also many people use big words in a way that doesn't make sense in the context, and in such cases make themselves look even MORE pathetic.
Only when it applies

(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest