The Student Room Group

Nottigham, Barts or KCL?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by VK96
Hey, I got offers from King's and Nottingham and decided to firm King's where I'll be starting this September. I visited both universities and what made me choose King's was the location and, surprisingly, the smaller campus.

At first when I visited Nottingham I really liked the massive campus with greenery everywhere, but then once you're out of the campus it's sort of just like any other city. However at King's the campus itself, Guy's campus, looks amazing even though it is smaller. It's dedicated to students doing medicine and medical related degrees, so it's focused a lot on that! The Gordon museum was another bonus, and the fact that it's in central London is amazing.

Anatomy is also taught by dissection, which I think Nottingham do as well, but that's just to let you know in case you didn't know already :tongue:.

My stats in case you wanted to know:
GCSE: 7A* 5A and an A in the Additional Mathematics FSMQ
AS: AAA in Biology, Chemistry and Maths, and a Merit 1 in Pre-U Physics (similar to normal Physics)
UKCAT: 740 Band 2

Well done on getting this far already. I hope this helped a bit and good luck with everything!

London is expensive for a 5-6 year course - not a problem if you have rich parents! Also, need to avoid the mugging hotspots close by, such as Elephant & Castle.
Reply 21
Original post by Mansun
London is expensive for a 5-6 year course - not a problem if you have rich parents! Also, need to avoid the mugging hotspots close by, such as Elephant & Castle.

My parents are not rich. The loans and grants you get should cover it. I'm guessing you could also try to get a job if you needed to during the holidays.
Reply 22
Original post by VK96
My parents are not rich. The loans and grants you get should cover it. I'm guessing you could also try to get a job if you needed to during the holidays.

I wouldn't just rely on loans and grants. That will not cover the crazy cost of living in London, unless you are prepared to live in a poorer and dangerous area to keep rent down. Also public transport fares come into play. Getting a job is possible in the summer, but during term it will be more difficult due to the volume of work and coursework. Also you will need some social time to keep sane. Doesn't seem like you have thought it through with KCL and London. Some people share rooms to keep costs down, but that can only be done with friends.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by Mansun
I wouldn't just rely on loans and grants. That will not cover the crazy cost of living in London, unless you are prepared to live in a poorer and dangerous area to keep rent down. Also public transport fares come into play. Getting a job is possible in the summer, but during term it will be more difficult due to the volume of work and coursework. Also you will need some social time to keep sane. Doesn't seem like you have thought it through with KCL and London. Some people share rooms to keep costs down, but that can only be done with friends.

Alright mate sounds like you know your stuff, I'm ok with the research I've done though.
I'd go for Nottingham based on KCL's terrible student satisfaction and the sheer expense of London.
Reply 25
Original post by nexttime
I'd go for Nottingham based on KCL's terrible student satisfaction and the sheer expense of London.

KCL is still ranked in the top 10 for UK universities represented in the QS World Rankings, rankings which actually mean something. Who cares about rankings that give weighting to student satisfaction? They are so open to abuse with criteria like that.
Original post by Mansun
KCL is still ranked in the top 10 for UK universities represented in the QS World Rankings, rankings which actually mean something. Who cares about rankings that give weighting to student satisfaction? They are so open to abuse with criteria like that.

Who gives a **** about rankings for medicine?! You do study medicine, right? You do know job applications are blind to university, right? Tell me the difference QS rankings will make to a student's experience.

Med schools are not all the same and postgrad exam pass rates do vary, but the last criteria you should be using is some false notion of 'prestige'. There are so many other criteria that will actually make a difference to you.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by nexttime
Who gives a **** about rankings for medicine?! You do study medicine, right? You do know job applications are blind to university, right? Tell me the difference QS rankings will make to a student's experience.

Med schools are not all the same and postgrad exam pass rates do vary, but the last criteria you should be using is some false notion of 'prestige'. There are so many other criteria that will actually make a difference to you.

The point is that UK universities respect QS Rankings a lot, and KCL does very well in them. KCL is also renowned for having a strong medical school. The single biggest drawback for KCL would be affording to live in London for 5-6 years.

I was an ex-Nottingham student, by the way.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mansun
The point is that UK universities respect QS Rankings a lot, and KCL does very well in them. KCL is also renowned for having a strong medical school.

That doesn't answer the question. How would QS ranking of your med school effect your life?

So what measures for a 'strong medical school' are you using? Can't just claim that and not back yourself up.

I was an ex-Nottingham student, by the way.

Medical student?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending