The Student Room Group

Applying to Uni with NO GCSE Maths

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by MindArchitect
As above, keep hustling and we'll help!

I'm more than happy to help you understand things you struggle with.

Perhaps you might even be ambitious and push for a B.

So, when are you scheduled to next sit GCSE Maths?

EDIT:

If you push for November, you can make good progress covering the syllabus through summer in your free time.

I am thinking of resitting it again in November, and I have no summer holidays left as the Academy I go to has already started sept term.

I would be happy to push for a B if the material on the higher isn't too bad, I just need to put in the revision.
I wouldn't advise being a primary education teacher if you struggle with Maths so much on my brother's degree course you had to pass Maths,English and ICT to Grade A( you don't have to do a GCSE just some sort of test on all three of them)-my brother got a Grade B in Maths and English at GCSE but did pass the tests though.
Original post by SAMOB96
I am thinking of resitting it again in November, and I have no summer holidays left as the Academy I go to has already started sept term.

I would be happy to push for a B if the material on the higher isn't too bad, I just need to put in the revision.

Alright!

Feel free to PM with topics you're struggling on, and I'll do my best to help.

And ignore the fella above, if there's a will, there's a way.
Reply 23
Original post by Dalek1099
I wouldn't advise being a primary education teacher if you struggle with Maths so much on my brother's degree course you had to pass Maths,English and ICT to Grade A( you don't have to do a GCSE just some sort of test on all three of them)-my brother got a Grade B in Maths and English at GCSE but did pass the tests though.

I have 2 Grade A'S in English Lit and Lang so that would not be an issue. It is just maths I need to work at.
Reply 24
Original post by MindArchitect
Alright!

Feel free to PM with topics you're struggling on, and I'll do my best to help.

And ignore the fella above, if there's a will, there's a way.

Thanks so much, will do.
Reply 25
I feel sorry for myself. That stuff is rough man.

Though I branched into economics for my post grad, aint going back to that maths crap even if you pay me.
Reply 26
I had to prove this in my post grad degree...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauss%E2%80%93Markov_theorem

Scroll down to all the dodgy looking X's lol.
Reply 27
It is pretty much.

It's matrix algebra. So it's like normal algebra, but each letter represents a matrix rather than a variable.
Original post by SAMOB96
Thank you, yes I have been taking a look at the papers and comparing, I don't know whether to just take the risk? As it may be easier to do the higher and put hard work in on less stuff.

Its up to you though depending on whether you will have a tutor or something?
I think I've got a plan though :wink:
Do higher if you think you are able, and ask a teacher or Google a list of all the topics that will come up on the exam for your exam board. And if you dont have a tutor or teacher theres actually a shedload of videos on youtube and most of themm come from teachers themselves so i guess thats good:biggrin: So use YouTube and you should be fine :smile:
Original post by SAMOB96
Haha, thank you. But the only thing I've wanted to do is teaching, determined to eventually get a C.

Good luck and remember you can do anything if you try.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest