The Student Room Group

Law or Politics

Hello! I just finished my AS year and starting to write my personal statement. I'm just a bit torn with what course to apply for at university.

Before I started Year 12, I was set on doing law but after taking it at AS I didn't enjoy it that much and I'm not continuing it for A2. I was alright with the lessons but I'm more interested in the A2 content of my other subjects - politics, history, economics.

I really loved politics at A Level, I got a high A 90% UMS in my exams and would really enjoy studying it more, however, I don't know if a career in politics would suit me.

I understand that Law at A Level is very different to a degree but I'm worried it really wouldn't suit me and I'll regret that decision and end up not having a good time and good grade at the end. I've looked at joint degrees but it's not something I want to do.

My family really wants me to become a barrister and I would like to be one as well, I think I am capable academically but I don't have a full passion for it. I don't know what else I want to do, I've done a lot of work experience in politics but it's such a broad area.

I was just wondering what is the best way to decide? I know that a law degree would be better for job prospects than a politics degree but I also want to do something I enjoy.

Also if anyone can give their experiences in both degrees? What are the lectures like and the exams?

Thank you so much for reading and I hope someone responds!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why not do a law with politics degree, they do them at Manchester with entry requirements of AAB. It is an LLB course meaning you can practice law after, yet you are still combining your interest in politics (around 40% politics).
Reply 2
Original post by estella97
Why not do a law with politics degree, they do them at Manchester with entry requirements of AAB. It is an LLB course meaning you can practice law after, yet you are still combining your interest in politics (around 40% politics).

I've looked at the course but I still want to visit Manchester to make sure, I did consider just putting it down as one of my options but I would prefer to go to Leeds. Also I'm not too sure about this but on the website it looks like they put focus on Contract or Commercial Law quite a lot and those areas don't really interest me.

Thanks for that anyway!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by grx_
Hello! I just finished my AS year and starting to write my personal statement. I'm just a bit torn with what course to apply for at university.

Before I started Year 12, I was set on doing law but after taking it at AS I didn't enjoy it that much and I'm not continuing it for A2. I was alright with the lessons but I'm more interested in the A2 content of my other subjects - politics, history, economics.

I really loved politics at A Level, I got a high A 90% UMS in my exams and would really enjoy studying it more, however, I don't know if a career in politics would suit me.

I understand that Law at A Level is very different to a degree but I'm worried it really wouldn't suit me and I'll regret that decision and end up not having a good time and good grade at the end. I've looked at joint degrees but it's not something I want to do.

My family really wants me to become a barrister and I would like to be one as well, I think I am capable academically but I don't have a full passion for it. I don't know what else I want to do, I've done a lot of work experience in politics but it's such a broad area.

I was just wondering what is the best way to decide? I know that a law degree would be better for job prospects than a politics degree but I also want to do something I enjoy.

Also if anyone can give their experiences in both degrees? What are the lectures like and the exams?

Thank you so much for reading and I hope someone responds!

Posted from TSR Mobile

A degree in Politics isn't meant to set you up for a Political career- you can apply for any jobs that want a degree. Politics at uni is different to the AS level though, there's a fair bit of theory but also a chance to explore political systems of other countries. Lectures give you a basic outline of things whilst in seminars you discuss the reading you have been set.

Absolutely no point doing a law degree if you won't enjoy it, becoming a barrister atm is v competitive and you need top marks in your degree which would be harder if you didn't enjoy it.
Law is also deathly boring. Just check out some of the Uni textbooks on Amazon and you'll see what I mean.

History or Politics? Remember that both subjects contain elements of the other but they are different in methodology. Social Science tends to be more 'science' based - looking for patterns to 'prove' a theory, whilst History is more about viewpoints and 'exploring' evidence. This said, History and Politics is a common joint degree subject at University because they are allied subjects. Also worth looking at subjects like International Relations, Political History, Social Policy - or combinations of these.

Most Arts or Soc Sci degrees don't point you towards a vocational career - they are more about training your brain to think/read/analyse on a higher level than A levels. Info about History degrees here : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/History_Degree and Politics degrees here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Politics_Degree, including info about potential careers.
I'd say choose the subject you find most interesting. Chances are you'd do much better in a subject you enjoy, and if you chose to do a Politics degree you could always do a law conversion course once you finished your degree.
Law is not boring. Neither is politics.

Law is more precise than politics.
Law is a whole package. You must acquire the basics before you get to focus on the areas you like more.

Politics is a different animal.

What are your career plans? Then only can you decide which. Nevertheless, like someone said above, you can always do a conversion course. And a senior judge did say the best lawyers seem to do a non law first degree before taking up law.
Reply 7
Thank you for the replies! I've thought about it a lot and decided I will be applying for politics :smile:

I am still considering converting into law after but I'll worry about that after my degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending