The Student Room Group

help with textbooks

I'm starting my history course at Liverpool in september I was hoping someone could tell me what textbooks I will need to buy.
Original post by pmcmahon1245
I'm starting my history course at Liverpool in september I was hoping someone could tell me what textbooks I will need to buy.

History at uni is not like A-Level, for good marks in History essays you shouldn't be using textbooks at all. There may be some academic books that the university recommends you but you can get by just by borrowing books from the library.
You don't have a 'set text' for the entire degree. You will be doing at least two different courses per term and will be expected to read several books and academic journal articles a week. You aren't expected to buy these - that is what there is a well stocked University library for. You'll get 'reading lists' for each unit you are doing once you get to Uni.

If you just want to get started on some relevant reading, then this book is a very good place to start : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Studying-History-Palgrave-Study-Skills/dp/1403987343 This one IS worth buying as its a very good, easy to read introduction to lots of important ideas and concepts, and you'll use it as reference throughout your degree. Highly recommended.
Original post by pmcmahon1245

Contact the history school administrator for a reading list. They will probably give you last years if this years hasn't been compiled fully yet. I wouldn't recommend purchasing any yet but it will give you the idea of price. For history the books you use will be vast and picking one book, quite frankly, would be silly. You will need many books to cover your topic in depth. I would say a minimum of 10 for a 2500 word essay. Plus books may be recommended but they may also be in the library - bit of a waste if you were to buy it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending