The Student Room Group

How big is the jump from GCSE to A-level?

Scroll to see replies

There really isn't that much of a jump just make sure you work hard in your A Levels same as GCSEs or you won't get the best grades possible.Don't listen to this rubbish of revising during the year, a couple of weeks will work just nicely.If I hadn't revised for my AS exams, I am fairly confident I would have got at least AABD and I revised a couple of weeks before and got AAAA-I am really good at Maths which helps a lot for Maths,Further Maths and Physics though.Thats the thing with Sciences they may have the biggest jump but there are many people who are naturally talented in certain science subjects like Maths, who don't have that major of problems(I found Mechanics difficult at first though I doubt it would have stopped me getting AA in Maths and Further Maths).
Reply 21
IMO, the jump is overrated by most people.
Tbf though, I did go from 11 subjects, most of which I disliked and were essay subjects to 4 science subjects, so my workload plummeted, which made the job a lot easier because I had a load of free time to do the "really strenuous" work in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
At GCSE you do at least 10 subjects and have spare time, at A level you do 3/4 subjects and have no spare time!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Depends on how much work you did for GCSEs tbh. I got 4 A's at GCSE including chemistry, and I point blank refused to work throughout all of Yr 11 for Chemistry. I didn't revise, I didn't hand in homework, I purposely scheduled guitar lessons over chemistry. And bamn, it was my best GCSE.

A-levels, came to my mocks and I got BDUU. They were a big shock for me as I'd always managed to half-ass it and still get reasonable grades.

With GCSEs, without revision you can generally get grades that more or less reflect your ability in each subject (hence why mine were good, but not amazing). With A-levels, you start the year with a U grade in each subject and you essentially have to fight for each grade up. How easy that is depends on how well you used your lesson time, if you're revising effectively, and if you're at all good in exams.

As for being in the lessons, for most subjects I found the content wasn't necessarily harder, there was just more of it, which made coming to exam time harder.

Quick Reply

Latest