The Student Room Group

Example/Sample PhD Proposals for English from UK?

Hi Guys,

Do any of you have your successful PhD proposals that you wouldn't mind sharing?

I've found a fair few online, but all seem to be American. I just want to check a few British ones, just to make sure I get it right.

I'm hoping to do mine in either Contemporary Lit or Post-Colonial, but any English proposals would be useful as I am just trying to understand structure, how you lay out the argument, resources etc.

Thanks for your help.
Reply 1
Original post by DollyG
Hi Guys,

Do any of you have your successful PhD proposals that you wouldn't mind sharing?

I've found a fair few online, but all seem to be American. I just want to check a few British ones, just to make sure I get it right.

I'm hoping to do mine in either Contemporary Lit or Post-Colonial, but any English proposals would be useful as I am just trying to understand structure, how you lay out the argument, resources etc.

Thanks for your help.

On the Cambridge English website they have a few examples, but different unis have different requirements. I used their structure to apply to KLC and it was thrown back at me as unexciting!
For mine (although it's social sciences not English) I was told to use the same structure as if I were writing an academic paper.

Like Am/pm says, though, different unis can have different requirements. I only applied to one place - there were guidelines on the website and the course director was happy to look at the draft proposal and make suggestions (and then grilled me on his suggestions, i.e. my areas of weakness, at interview!)
Reply 3
Original post by DollyG
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your help.

Also, a successful PhD proposal probably contains some evidence of innovatory material that has been deemed worthy of a place on the programme. So, probably unfair to hope that it can be shared so early on?
Reply 4
Original post by Am/pm
Also, a successful PhD proposal probably contains some evidence of innovatory material that has been deemed worthy of a place on the programme. So, probably unfair to hope that it can be shared so early on?

Ah, I see. You are right. I didn't think about that part. I really just wanted to see the structure. Or perhaps better bet would be to find students who have completed their phd? So that it's not sensitive information any longer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending