The Student Room Group

Do you (or would like to) play a musical instrument?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by furryface12
The oboe's so weird to play! The whole double reed thing just feels weird :eek:

Haha, it's weird compared to other instruments, yeh.
Original post by Omni Vanitas
Haha, it's weird compared to other instruments, yeh.

Probably just getting used to it, I guess flute would feel weird to most people but to me it's just normal :redface:
Probably just getting used to it, I guess flute would feel weird to most people but to me it's just normal :redface:

I guess so yeah :wink:
I guess so yeah :wink:

Fair enough! :lol:
I play piano, though I wish I started learning much younger. I also want to play Violin and guitar, but one thing at a time I suppose.
Drums and Bass master race instruments
Fair enough! :lol:

It's not fair. Why can't we play every instrument? ;D
It's not fair. Why can't we play every instrument? ;D

I know, I want to! They should make them cheaper just so we could buy all of them :colone:
Reply 28
Guitar, violin, bass guitar and a little bit of mandolin :smile:
I know, I want to! They should make them cheaper just so we could buy all of them :colone:

Lulz talk about it... My brother has 4 recorders, a cornetto (medieval instrument), two trumpets in Bb and a trumpet in C.
Lulz talk about it... My brother has 4 recorders, a cornetto (medieval instrument), two trumpets in Bb and a trumpet in C.

:eek: I'm jealous! Although to be fair, I have two flutes, a piccolo, a saxophone (alto, really want a tenor!), recorder, tinwhistle and a very temperamental keyboard which my neighbour gave me about ten years ago when I wanted to start learning an instrument :colondollar:
I had piano lessons every week between the ages of 7 and 16...i think I gave up briefly during some teenage rebellion phase which lasted a few months. I wish I could still play well now, we don't have a piano anymore and I haven't learnt a new piece in years. I can't wait till I have my own place and can buy a baby grand!
Original post by HBPrincess
I've been watching the Don't Stop the Music documentary on channel 4 and was wondering - how many of you out there play an instrument, or would have liked too?

I myself play saxophone, and have done so since I was in year 8. I first started to learn using the schools sax, before my parents saved up and bought me one for Christmas. I'm thinking that if it hadn't been for the fact my school hadn't had the facilities, I wouldn't be playing the sax and wouldn't have had all the amazing experiences I've had with it.

If you play an instrument, how did you start out?

If you don't play, what was it that stopped you? Was there a lack of funding or facilities to help?

Just wondering :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Woo! saxophone! :P

I started music 11 years ago when I was 7. Someone came into my school and demonstrated the violin to our year and I really wanted to learn it and my parents agreed. I am still playing it.

In year 5 I started learning guitar because I wanted to learn another instrument but I stopped in year 10 due to my music teacher forgetting to enter me for my music exam 3 seasons in a row.

In year 11 I started have singing lessons and it meant I could do school musicals which was awesome.

And 2 months ago I started learning the piano, just for fun and the saxophone because I love the instrument and I love jazz so it's perfect for me.

I'm about to start university and will be joining the orchestra (violin), string ensemble (violin), choir (voice) and wind band (saxophone).

Long answer sorry :P I just love music.
:eek: I'm jealous! Although to be fair, I have two flutes, a piccolo, a saxophone (alto, really want a tenor!), recorder, tinwhistle and a very temperamental keyboard which my neighbour gave me about ten years ago when I wanted to start learning an instrument :colondollar:

I have an oboe.

But tbh, my dad has his oboe and an oboe d'amor which I sometimes play ;D
I have an oboe.

But tbh, my dad has his oboe and an oboe d'amor which I sometimes play ;D

No-one else in my family has anything so I can't steal them unfortunately :tongue: I just seem to have gradually expanded my collection without meaning to, not that I'm complaining or anything! At one point I was going to swap my old flute for my friend's old clarinet so we could both learn the other one but we never got round to it :sad:
No-one else in my family has anything so I can't steal them unfortunately :tongue: I just seem to have gradually expanded my collection without meaning to, not that I'm complaining or anything! At one point I was going to swap my old flute for my friend's old clarinet so we could both learn the other one but we never got round to it :sad:

Haha everyone in my family is a musician:

Mum- Harpist
Dad- Oboist
Me-Oboe
Brother-Trumpet, recorder, cornetto

Like the von-trapp family ;D
Yep, I play the flute. :smile:
I play the fiddle and tin whistle :tongue: would love to learn uillean pipes or the banjo though :/
Haha everyone in my family is a musician:

Mum- Harpist
Dad- Oboist
Me-Oboe
Brother-Trumpet, recorder, cornetto

Like the von-trapp family ;D

:eek: Wow! I'm the only one, think I drive everyone mad too :tongue:

Original post by LadyEcliptic
I play the fiddle and tin whistle :tongue: would love to learn uillean pipes or the banjo though :/

Yay, tin whistle! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
I would love to learn guitar and cello :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest