The Student Room Group

Please mark my transactional writing piece.

My exam is on Monday and i would be very grateful if you could mark and give feedback on my work. My exam board is eduqas

You have been asked to give a talk to your class about your hobby or special interest to try to encourage others to get involved.

Good morning class, as many of you know my name is Emily but there is one thing that you may not know about me. My hobby is playing the steel drums. Do any of you play musical instruments? Many of you may have never heard of these but my talk today will explain more about them.

Firstly, for those of you who don't know, steel drums are an instrument which originated from the Caribbean during the late 1960’s. In the deprived country of Trinidad people would use any resources they could find to create anything and sell them to earn money. In this case steel drums were made of steel barrels and were cut to size. Then they would use a hammer to hit, bash and shape individual notes into the drum. Each note is tuned and sounds different from the rest. Isn't that interesting?

You're probably wondering how I got into playing steel drums as i am originally not from the Caribbean but this lead me onto my next point ‘My Experience’
During my younger years of secondary school a poster was put up about joining a steel band called ‘Panache’. I was sceptical and uninterested at first but after listening to some native steel drum music, I was hooked!. I went along nervous, scared but excited to try something new. After my first practice I came out thinking that this was my thing and something I would do well.

I haven't come from a music background so I was worried that I would never fit in as all the other members could play multiple instruments - this didn't stop me! There are many benefits of playing steel drums like meeting new people, having fun and visiting new places. This band has given me lots of opportunities, for example, this year we are going on tour to glorious Germany where we will play in different cities and show people what we do.

Thankyou for listening to my tak and I hope that you found it interesting and learnt something new. You might even be thinking to yourself that playing steel drums is something for you. My last piece of advice is to always try something as you may not think you like it but in the end you're loving it!
Reply 1
really good I thought, the questions add a good interaction x

Quick Reply

Latest