The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Anyone studying maths? Also, another financial question

Hey all,

I am a second year maths student at a Red Brick Uni. I study the subject because I admire it.

I will finish my second year in mid 2015. Then one year left.
HOWEVER, I am seriously considering transferring credits and then finishing my degree with the OU.

Reason is, I am applying for the Police Force and if things go successful I can start training with them next year. A career in the Police is my ultimate aim. Having a year's head start would be great.

More importantly however, they will NOT be taking in any new recruits during 2016, so this is bad timing when it comes to completing my maths degree at my current Uni. I would have to wait X amount of years before having the chance to apply again.

So I came across the OU and it does sound amazing... especially considering that I learn better by looking up online lectures anyway as many of the ones in my Red Brick Uni are, disappointingly, just terrible. Skipping lectures and self-teaching myself things just works better with me.

I will still have contact with other students at my current Uni as well...

Anyway,

1) Maths is a diverse field. I'm assuming OU offers many modules? I have just checked the credit transfer possibility. After finishing my second year, I will only have to do 120 credits left i.e. a final year. So, that means I can study it part time for 2 years correct? What types of modules does the OU offer for final year maths? Does it offer similar intellectual/ practical topics provided by Red Brick Unis?

2) First year training pay for the police will be around 19-20k. My background is disadvantaged and current household income is only from parent's benefits. If I start the OU degree with my police training, how much financial assistance would I obtain?

Thank you to anyone to tries to help
Reply 1
Original post by MSI_10

1) Maths is a diverse field. I'm assuming OU offers many modules? I have just checked the credit transfer possibility. After finishing my second year, I will only have to do 120 credits left i.e. a final year. So, that means I can study it part time for 2 years correct? What types of modules does the OU offer for final year maths? Does it offer similar intellectual/ practical topics provided by Red Brick Unis?

Yes you can do it part time for two years. Most courses are 30 points.

From this page:
abstract algebra, complex analysis, graphs and networks, optimization, metric space theory, waves, diffusion, variational principles, computer algebra, chaos, mathematical methods, fluid mechanics, quantum physics and electromagnetism.

You have a pretty free choice and can do what you like.

No idea about 2 I'm afraid
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by MSI_10
Hey all,

I am a second year maths student at a Red Brick Uni. I study the subject because I admire it.

I will finish my second year in mid 2015. Then one year left.
HOWEVER, I am seriously considering transferring credits and then finishing my degree with the OU.

Reason is, I am applying for the Police Force and if things go successful I can start training with them next year. A career in the Police is my ultimate aim. Having a year's head start would be great.

More importantly however, they will NOT be taking in any new recruits during 2016, so this is bad timing when it comes to completing my maths degree at my current Uni. I would have to wait X amount of years before having the chance to apply again.

So I came across the OU and it does sound amazing... especially considering that I learn better by looking up online lectures anyway as many of the ones in my Red Brick Uni are, disappointingly, just terrible. Skipping lectures and self-teaching myself things just works better with me.

I will still have contact with other students at my current Uni as well...

Anyway,

2) First year training pay for the police will be around 19-20k. My background is disadvantaged and current household income is only from parent's benefits. If I start the OU degree with my police training, how much financial assistance would I obtain?

Thank you to anyone to tries to help

In response to 2 you can get a student loan from student finance to pay for your course regardless of previous funding as OU study is part time and uses a different system.

Quick Reply

Latest