The Student Room Group

What is the biggest motivation?

What is the biggest motivation for you? What have made you do what you thought you could never do?

Scroll to see replies

The biggest motivation for me is death. Knowing that i will die in 60 years max is why im not doing anything with my life.

Whats the point.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Motivation is unreliable and it's a bad strategy to let your success rely on the unreliable.

Having said that, I have an image in my head of having achieving my goals and I like to think about that sometimes.
Reply 3
I actually imagine the difficulties that I would have to go through, if I didn't do that thing.
Original post by QuantumSuicide
The biggest motivation for me is death. Knowing that i will die in 60 years max is why im not doing anything with my life.

Whats the point.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And just because you know that you will die, you don't want to do anything? Everyone will die someday.
Original post by Ecro
I actually imagine the difficulties that I would have to go through, if I didn't do that thing.
And just because you know that you will die, you don't want to do anything? Everyone will die someday.

Yep, knowing that i will turn into eternal nothingness is why everything is pointless in the end. Besides, doing nothing is fun. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by miser
Motivation is unreliable and it's a bad strategy to let your success rely on the unreliable.

Having said that, I have an image in my head of having achieving my goals and I like to think about that sometimes.

Yes, but sometimes the motivation is the little push that we need to succeed.
Reply 6
Original post by QuantumSuicide
Yep, knowing that i will turn into eternal nothingness is why everything is pointless in the end. Besides, doing nothing is fun. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What does doing nothing mean? You breathe, you eat, you poop, you walk... That is not doing nothing. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Ecro
Yes, but sometimes the motivation is the little push that we need to succeed.

That's true, but I think we should be careful not to attribute the bulk of a success to the thing that contributed only a little push.
Reply 8
Original post by miser
That's true, but I think we should be careful not to attribute the bulk of a success to the thing that contributed only a little push.

Of course. I didn't mean that the little push was going to solve all of our problems. I meant that if we put effort in something and we needed that little thing that was going to help us, that was give us the inch that we need to succeed. And, of course, we can't rely on such thing.
Reply 9
I always wanted to be the first woman PM. I didn't need any all women short lists.
Getting women.
Reply 11
Original post by Ecro
Of course. I didn't mean that the little push was going to solve all of our problems. I meant that if we put effort in something and we needed that little thing that was going to help us, that was give us the inch that we need to succeed. And, of course, we can't rely on such thing.

A technique that leaves me feeling motivated is the slight contemplation of the idea that I'm too weak to achieve the something I plan to do. I usually hate the idea of that so much that it jolts me into action. I think anyone who understands themselves well should be able to leverage some aspect of their personality to this kind of effect.

But I really do think motivation tends to be overstated for its role in success.
Original post by Ecro
What is the biggest motivation for you? What have made you do what you thought you could never do?

I really lack motivation. Yet a have big ambitions.

What motivates me to do something is when someone is relying on me.
Reply 13
Original post by McMicheal
I really lack motivation. Yet a have big ambitions.

What motivates me to do something is when someone is relying on me.

It can get ****ed up if no one is relying then. :biggrin:
Reply 14
Being remembered, making the world a better place, having a fun time, having a family the list goes on.....
Original post by Ecro
It can get ****ed up if no one is relying then. :biggrin:

And it gets. It's especially annoying to bull**** my way through some job interviews, why am Interested in this and what motivates me about this job.

Honestly, I just need some money I don't give that much **** about the job, when I'm in the job then it's all right because I have people relying on me to do something.
Reply 16
Original post by miser
A technique that leaves me feeling motivated is the slight contemplation of the idea that I'm too weak to achieve the something I plan to do. I usually hate the idea of that so much that it jolts me into action. I think anyone who understands themselves well should be able to leverage some aspect of their personality to this kind of effect.

But I really do think motivation tends to be overstated for its role in success.

Yeah, I have felt weak for that reason. I mean, the knowledge that I wasn't good enough to do something and I needed some external motivation, made me feel weak. But, for some reason, that motivates me, too. :biggrin:
Reply 17
Original post by McMicheal
And it gets. It's especially annoying to bull**** my way through some job interviews, why am Interested in this and what motivates me about this job.

Honestly, I just need some money I don't give that much **** about the job, when I'm in the job then it's all right because I have people relying on me to do something.

I have never understood that. Why do they even ask those questions? The simple reason is that the person needs money. And some of them act like they don't know that and that pisses me off.
Reply 18
The wonder of life itself. The mystery of existence.
Reply 19
Original post by Marco1
The wonder of life itself. The mystery of existence.

That thing always intrigued me. And I always thought that some species that are smarter than us made us. I mean, for an example, people make keyboard and a lot of organisms live on those keyboard. That doesn't mean people intended that, but it just happened. And no organism on the keyboard knows what kind of organisms live on the other key.

Quick Reply

Latest