The Student Room Group

I cant find a uni i can get into!?!!

Im studying level 3 extended nation diploma in animal management (yeah, I know, the course has a bad reputation) Im well on my way to get DDD and ive got good gcses under my belt. I want to study zoology, my course promised I could get into a uni if I wanted to, but all zoology courses are saying I need alevels or my qualification is not valid, really getting stressed and depressed. Anyone know of any good unis that would let me? any one done animal management and got into a uni? Please let me know
Original post by RJJackson
Im studying level 3 extended nation diploma in animal management (yeah, I know, the course has a bad reputation) Im well on my way to get DDD and ive got good gcses under my belt. I want to study zoology, my course promised I could get into a uni if I wanted to, but all zoology courses are saying I need alevels or my qualification is not valid, really getting stressed and depressed. Anyone know of any good unis that would let me? any one done animal management and got into a uni? Please let me know

Some universities will accept BTEC qualifications for Zoology courses - however the 'top' universities on the league tables insist on having at least one A level in Biology. I'm not an expert, but I believe universities like Aberystwyth and Bangor do accept applicants with just a level 3 National Diploma. Those are perfectly acceptable universities, and I'm sure there are others out there too.
Original post by RJJackson

Yeh if you want to do zoology you need biology A level. Zoology is very scientific and not the same as conservation or animal management. To do zoology you need to know your science hands down.
Derby appear to say "Biology or equivalent qualifications", so it's worth giving them an email.

Alternatively you could consider a foundation year? Zoology is very scientific, so you may struggle without a science a-level. Cardiff offer a preliminary year, and say they're open to alternative qualifications. Anglia Ruskin also offer a foundation year with an "equivalent to 1 A-level". Liverpool are sketchy on their requirements, try emailing them.

If not, have you considered fast-tracking biology a-level in a gap year? This would allow you a bit more flexibility in your foundation year choice, but ultimately I think you may still need to take a foundation year.
Reply 4
derby, nottingham trent, chester university, lincoln and i think leicester will accept you for zoology and zoo biology courses with a city and guilds animal management level 3 extended diploma no biology a level needed. i got DDD and i applied for those 5 and i got accepted by all of them but if youre not very good at lab practical work and the sciency part of biology in general youll need to brush up in your own time or youll struggle a bit

Quick Reply

Latest